As Time Goes By Page 8

Jenny is from South Africa.

Finally got around to watching this and thoroughly enjoying it, nice, gentle, great writing.

Incidentally, whilst watching a recent interview with Gene Wilder, he cites As Time Goes By as one of his favourite sitcoms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezfVc5MGmIU (around 18 mins).

Such a long time since anyone posted about ATGB yet it is very alive and well and being watched by what is likely millions of fans and probably thousands of new viewers in the U.S. thanks to PBS. I think it pretty well cycles continuously there. I prefer watching my boxed set which gets taken out annually.

Is ATGB re-run in the UK as often as it is in the U.S.?

It's interesting that I also love the venerable dinnerladies and the more recent Detectorists.

When I try to figure out what links them, "gentle" is the only word that comes to mind.

Quote: Rose2010 @ 30th June 2016, 1:46 AM BST

Is ATGB re-run in the UK as often as it is in the U.S.?

No - and not nearly as prominently. It is currently being shown on the (subscription) comedy channel Gold, however.

ATGB shows in U.S. San Francisco area at least twice a week on PBS (Public Broadcast). Usually in chronological order. Plays with other BBC shows....Keeping Up Appearances, Poirot, Last Tango in Halifax, etc....endless Mysteries...one can easily spend six hours getting BBC fill.

I recently bought the box set of ATGB. Originally I planned to watch and sell on, but I enjoyed it so much it will definitely be a 'keeper'.
Excellent performances by the whole regular cast and beautifully observed and written by Bob Larbey. It will probably get an annual outing now! England :)

Quote: Cauldron Chick @ 22nd October 2007, 4:39 PM

Ok, now marking myself as totally sad, but are there any other As Time Goes By fans here? I have to admit, I love and watch it through regularly. :D

My friends all think I'm completely loopy because I switch between watching warm fuzzy British sitcoms and watching horror movies. Rolling eyes :P

Seriously hoping I'm not alone in this. Please step forward if you're a weirdo like me! Wave

I am. I love the show. Gives me a good feeling about life. Best show for everything turning out alright in life, better than alright, pretty damn good indeed

Quote: Rich Barr @ 3rd December 2014, 3:34 AM

Bonnie had the definitive website, As Time Goes By Central, since around 1998.
Anything and everything was there regarding ATGB. She shut it down this past January.

Such a shame. I saw it a few years back and was looking for it again. It was a great site.

Me again, re-surfacing for my annual "gee whiz" comments about As Time Goes By. Here: Just re-watched and it never gets old!

The last-but-two episode featured an odd little storyline with a girl sleeping rough who is invited in out of the rain by Jean. Dave short for Davina. Each time I watch this, I am convinced it is a setting up story for another season or a sequel. Jean and Lionel take in a feisty boarder with "the girls" married and gone.

I guess we'll never know if that was the plan that never materialized.

I was watching an episode of The Crown the other day and Mrs Bale popped up in it.
I half expected her to say 'lunch will be at 13:11 precisely.

Well, Canada must be equally exciting as the North. Mrs. Bale spotting is a favourite hobby of mine. So far, post ATGB, there's Doctor Who (re-boot), Father Brown and Endless Night (Marple). Re-watched an old old series, G.B.H., and she has a major role. Henfrey was a regular character in ATGB as was Tim Wylton , of course, but in this last re-watch, I noticed Ruth Jones and Mark Benton in walk-ons. I think Benton was already a star but it was an early outing for Jones.

Just finished it on DVD. I thought it was fantastic. Loved it, the characters and the wide range of them,the plots, the writing is fantastic. Really love the show. I am so glad I bought it. Alistair is my favourite character, him and Lionel are hilarious together.

I've really loved some of Larbey's other stuff. Might give this a go.