Newsjack Series 18 Page 23

Quote: StephenM @ 1st March 2018, 11:10 PM

It depends what you're after I suppose. If you're looking for a radio credit then take the oneliner and the money. If you're looking to get on the radar of the producers I'd say a sketch that got close is better. Although a sketch that just missed out does need to be built upon with a follow up credit and/or RBC.

I suppose a oneliner credit is like a pair of 5s in poker and a RBC sketch a single King. The King gives you more chance of a winning hand later on but if you don't get the cards you need you'd take the pair. (I am way too pleased with myself for thinking of that analogy).

Yes, I suppose consistency is the key to building relationships. On that basis it's probably better to always have sketches shortlisted but not recorded than it is to have one sketch in the show but no others they liked (not that you'd know that was happening of course). That's probably only true up to a point though, I guess you'd eventually need to turn consistently decent work into actual credits.

They really don't seem adverse to covering older stories - is this a new thing? It makes the 'write on Sunday night/Monday morning' guidance slightly redundant...?

Uncle 'ug' my new favourite character.

Some lovely ideas and very good voice acting.

Chicken sketch was great but indeed seemed finger licking long thus breaking the first rule of Newsjack??

My only real moan was there were a couple of oneliners that face planted because (going by the audience reaction) they weren't funny enough?? Do Newsjack do that just to mess with our heads?

Yes, a couple of the one-liners really died a death with the live audience. Funny that they kept them in.

It's a funny old game...probably being just hyper-critical and reading waaaaaay too much into it, there were some clever gags overall.

Quote: Wheelbarrow @ 2nd March 2018, 8:42 AM

I had a near miss with a number-cruncher this week. I submitted two, so it was either a 'dad' joke about UK funding for the winter Olympics, or one about Comcast's bid for Sky.

Well done

I had a near miss with a number-cruncher this week. I submitted two, so it was either a 'dad' joke about UK funding for the winter Olympics, or one about Comcast's bid for Sky.

Well done Wheelbarrow- if you email them they will let you know what it was. :)

yeah, nice going wheelbarrow!

I've heard the odd 'shit' or 'bollocks' in the show, right?

I'm writing a sketch where a swear word seems to work well...

Good work Wheelbarrow and you're the most successful person on the forum this week!

Your Sky joke was excellent! A perfect number cruncher.

I am going to call it now. After this story there will be a lot of people submitting Trump as a stand comic sketches

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43276466

Quote: StephenM @ 3rd March 2018, 1:56 PM

Good work Wheelbarrow and you're the most successful person on the forum this week!

I got a sketch on this week about university vice-chancellors, but due to being stranded away from home on the wrong side of some snow since Thursday, didn't actually know until today.

I really enjoyed that sketch, lots of wit, well done indeed.

@TheKingLobotomy: ha. just managed to talk myself out of going there!

Quote: Callooh Callay @ 4th March 2018, 11:25 AM

I got a sketch on this week about university vice-chancellors, but due to being stranded away from home on the wrong side of some snow since Thursday, didn't actually know until today.

Great work Callooh, glad you found out eventually! Very impressive to get a sketch on.

And makes me think how many other credits might be lying out there in the snow.

Everyone get their sketches in?