American Sitcoms - Top 100 Page 2

Quote: Davida @ 9th February 2018, 3:26 PM

Wow, I haven't even heard of loads of shows on that list. I've caught glimpses of a fair amount of those shows just in passing growing up with the TV on, not really paying attention. The only ones I've revisited as an adult are Friends, 3rd Rock, Seinfield, and Malcolm in the Middle randomly. Nothing to write home about, to me. But what do I know. I'm just from here.

That's an impressive list though! I've always kind of wondered if America has a backlog of decent comedies, and I'm not sure all the ones listed are exactly decent, but I think I can now trust that American comedy is not all bad.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen and somewhat enjoyed some of the more recently aired shows listed, and have nothing substantial against them. In fact, I'd add 'New Girl' to the list. Solid funny show.

Channel 4 is repeating 2 (was 3 Angry ) 3rd Rock from the Sun every early weekday morning, which I record to watch at my leisure as I had forgotten just how funny they were. John Lithgow is superb!

What's the appeal in that show? Is it just Lithgow? I do vaguely remember liking him in it, but even having revisited the show in somewhat recent years, I don't really get what's good about it. I'm not denying it's not good, I just can't wrap my head around what's all that funny about it (other than maybe John Lithgow). I don't think even just the premise of the show ages all that well. Just seems tacky.

:O Oh God no, I think it is hilarious, and not just Lithgow, but the whole show.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th February 2018, 7:14 AM

:O Oh God no, I think it is hilarious, and not just Lithgow, but the whole show.

Agreed. It's mad cap humour at its best Davida, not many other shows mastered that. Soap maybe.

Where is Arrested Development on your list Horseradish ? 8.9/10 at IMDb. It should be equal second with Cheers.

I'd like to see what was 101st. Actually I wouldn't.
Out here they're rerunning Two Broke Girls. It's funny but too detached from reality for me. Having your cack etc. I prefer something totally manic (Young Ones) or totally credible (The Office). That's why I rated the UK Office over the US one, but that argument runs like me after a curry.

Sharing One's Comedic Tastes
GIRL There's this awesome new sitcom, 'Off Bounds', seen it?
GUY No, gimme the Youtube link, I'll check it out tonight!
GIRL AWESOME!
GUY And there's this fab new comedian, Dirk Strokes, seen him?
GIRL No, gimme the Youtune link, I'll check him out tomight!
GUY AWESOME!
That night, they hurry home, switch on Youtube... Girl rewatches Off Bounds, guy rewatches Dirk Strokes.
Next day: See it? - No, couldn't get round to it. - Me neither. Soon though.

Quote: DaButt @ 6th February 2018, 5:56 PM

I really, really loved the American Office. A few of my choices for Top 100 that aren't on your list:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Eastbound & Down
The League
The Last Man on Earth
Parks and Recreation
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Dabutt - I've still got some of these to watch properly as I have since been watching British sitcom.

Quote: zooo @ 6th February 2018, 3:04 PM

I was worried I wouldn't be able to enjoy it on rewatching. But I love that show and I would hate to let what's happened ruin that for me.
So I've watched it recently, and the way I think of it is that Bill Cosby is clearly an evil, horrendous piece of shit, but Dr Huxtable didn't do anything wrong. He's bloody lovely in fact (even nicer than how I remember him from my childhood). So I just see him as Dr Huxtable, and it's all good. It's fairly easy to forget all the real life stuff once you get into watching it.

So I'd stick it back in the list if I were you.

Zooo - I've revised my 100 into a second version - Cosby still isn't on there but I haven't completely ruled it our for the third and final version.

Quote: paulted @ 8th February 2018, 8:21 PM

Could Police Squad be considered a sitcom? If not, does it defy classification and be a genuine one off?

Paulted - I know what you mean but it was an actual series as well as a film and on balance I'd say it was sitcom - sadly only 6 episodes, though.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 6th February 2018, 6:51 PM

Cool list with a lot I don't recognise but no Scrubs? I can understand no Friends but no Scrubs?

Tarby, I don't know Scrubs although I know the name but it might be difficult for me to review it.

It is medical and I have issues with medical things. That is why I recognise Mash is brilliant but can't enjoy it as much as other people do. It has actually gone down in the second version of the list.

In contrast, Becker has gone up. That too is medical but it doesn't really go into sodium depletion, elbows hanging off and major toenail surgery,

I'm also noting other comments that have been posted which remind me that Cliff Huxtable was a doctor.

Quote: Davida @ 9th February 2018, 3:26 PM

Wow, I haven't even heard of loads of shows on that list. I've caught glimpses of a fair amount of those shows just in passing growing up with the TV on, not really paying attention. The only ones I've revisited as an adult are Friends, 3rd Rock, Seinfield, and Malcolm in the Middle randomly. Nothing to write home about, to me. But what do I know. I'm just from here.

That's an impressive list though! I've always kind of wondered if America has a backlog of decent comedies, and I'm not sure all the ones listed are exactly decent, but I think I can now trust that American comedy is not all bad.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen and somewhat enjoyed some of the more recently aired shows listed, and have nothing substantial against them. In fact, I'd add 'New Girl' to the list. Solid funny show.

Davida - Many thanks for you comments.

It is interesting to hear from an American whose starting point is/was that most American comedy isn't any good.

I hope you will be able to see some of the shows you haven't seen before and enjoy them.

Have to admit that I don't know New Girl.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 12th February 2018, 12:07 PM

I'd like to see what was 101st. Actually I wouldn't.
Out here they're rerunning Two Broke Girls. It's funny but too detached from reality for me. Having your cack etc. I prefer something totally manic (Young Ones) or totally credible (The Office). That's why I rated the UK Office over the US one, but that argument runs like me after a curry.

Michael, I don't know Two Broke Girls.

I turned No 101 into a room so I'm not sure what is in there,

Frasier
Seinfeld
Curb Y E
Bilko.

On a wet Sunday afternoon I can tolerate The King of Queens.
Mainly because it's got the brilliantly bonkers Jerry Stiller who is much the same in Seinfeld.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 26th February 2018, 12:32 PM

I don't know Two Broke Girls.

A couple of virgins try anal.
It's ok. It's feelgood telly for when you get home late. I couldn't watch it again and again like Fawlty Towers, Young Ones or I'm Alan Partridge.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 27th February 2018, 2:09 PM

A couple of virgins try anal.
It's ok. It's feelgood telly for when you get home late. I couldn't watch it again and again like Fawlty Towers, Young Ones or I'm Alan Partridge.

Yeah, I remember now.

I saw the one where Dr Huxtable came in with condoms. ;)

Quote: A Horseradish @ 26th February 2018, 12:32 PM

Have to admit that I don't know New Girl.

It's nowhere near the best America has to offer, but it's worth checking out :)

I'm revising the list slowly. As flagged up, Becker is substantially up. So too Night Court which I like a lot. The Wonder Years - very marmite and is it even a sitcom? - is so strong. That's gone way, way up the list. There are also reasonable rises for Sanford and Son and Everybody Hates Chris. Head of the Class is now in. Veronica's Closet and Caroline in the City are in, just. Earl has gone. Full House has gone. I think Family Ties has gone. But there's still a bit more to do.

Whachyou talkin' about Horse?! Angry His actual face. No Different Strokes?

Quote: Davida @ 10th February 2018, 4:32 AM

What's the appeal in that show? Is it just Lithgow? I do vaguely remember liking him in it, but even having revisited the show in somewhat recent years, I don't really get what's good about it. I'm not denying it's not good, I just can't wrap my head around what's all that funny about it (other than maybe John Lithgow). I don't think even just the premise of the show ages all that well. Just seems tacky.

It is the most British American sitcom I have come across. Hugely popular here, to the extent we had a complete DVD box set release well over a decade ago, before just about anything else, including almost all of our own classics.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 1st March 2018, 8:28 PM

Becker is substantially up.

:D

No idea where it was originally, but it's still not high enough!

Never enjoyed Caroline In The City, personally. Just felt ... I dunno, tacky maybe?

Anyone for Grace Under Fire?

Quote: Aaron @ 2nd March 2018, 2:04 PM

It is the most British American sitcom I have come across. Hugely popular here, to the extent we had a complete DVD box set release well over a decade ago, before just about anything else, including almost all of our own classics.

:D

No idea where it was originally, but it's still not high enough!

Never enjoyed Caroline In The City, personally. Just felt ... I dunno, tacky maybe?

Anyone for Grace Under Fire?

Thank you for your letter of two years ago almost precisely. I apologise for the delay in my reply which was due to unforeseen circumstances. I am not aware of the detail of Grace Under Fire although I know the title. I hope this is helpful.

Now onto the highlight of my year so far and in all probability my highlight of all of 2020 the way things are going. Ten days ago I discovered a DVD player on Amazon for £20 which purported to play the American region DVDs as long as it was used with a compatible television here in Europe. I decided given the low cost of it that it was worth taking the risk although I wasn't optimistic about a happy outcome. Well, it arrived extraordinarily in two days and it is compatible with one of my two TVs, both of which cost me less than £100. Consequently, all of the second hand American sitcom DVDs which I bought for a couple of quid and have been sitting around totally useless for years are now completely viewable.

I'm over the moon. Hours and hours of potential pleasure. I was on All in the Family Series 1 last night and loved it more than anything on TV at present. For some reason, I find it more acceptable than Till Death Us Do Part and I couldn't sleep until I had seen every episode. Now I'm onto Series 1 of Barney Miller. Next it will be Chico and the Man and loads of other stuff which I have only ever seen glimpses of on the internet with adverts pretty much literally every few seconds. It is not that I prefer American sitcoms to British ones but that I prefer almost everything that was made in the last century. Now, yes, I can live in that century again permanently and with one or two exceptions I have every intention of doing so.