Newsjack Series 18 Page 20

To me writing for NJ is proving you can write to a brief not just your own style. If you can do that then hopefully you can go from show to show writing jokes.

I am going to the show - for the first time - tonight so am as excited as a country bumpkin going to "that London." I will try to report back but will only have a phone and struggling with the format. Anyone else going?
Completely left field, but saw "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing etc" yesterday. McDonagh has lines that go from angst to hilarious in the same sentence. Big fan.

I have read some the recent entires with interest. Some of my own random thoughts:

Although some of the one-liners on the show are hit and miss - that's comedy. Topical news comedy, in particular.

Trying to "fit their style" is worth bearing in mind, but (in my humble opinion) should not detract from trying to nail the joke. If you are happy with it and (on re-reading it) start high-fiving yourself - job done.

One email click later and its out of your hands. I think you can get hung up on why they haven't chosen yours - Wading through 1200 and 2000 jokes in a ridiculously short period of time, common news topics, reader's preference, etc. are all part of it. I think there's a risk of losing (your) funny when you try and focus on fitting in with (what you perceive) as their style.

I think it may be an idea for NJ to consider reducing the limit to 2 one-liners (or even, dare I say 1)!? I do think that should apply to sketches. In the last two weeks I have only had time to submit 1 (each week) and it allowed me to write a few drafts and really clarify the idea.

I haven't had any success, but I was a lot happier with my last 2 submissions (which were short and to the structure brief), as opposed to week 1 when I wrote 2 sketches (flitted between the two) and they ended up long and disjointed.

Isn't it an old screenwriting adage - writing is re-writing?

Anyway, hope to hear some success stories on here tomorrow!

That is a fair point. But I personally think that if the sketch is top drawer, it will get on - to the extent that Angela will probably tone down or change the intro accordingly - the intro is at the end of the day, just that.

NJ may think the more material they receive, the better chance of some real gems. That might be right, but also increases the chance of missing (or not fully appreciating) a joke/sketch, which might (with some work) work really well.

To be really topical, you are looking at 2 1/2 days to get a idea (for a sketch) and execute it well. If submitters could only submit 1 sketch you know you have to absolutely try and nail it. To devise, write, do away, re-write, go away some more, re-write, 2 days (plus life!) ain't a long time.

I am sure I clicked on a link to one of the various guides/tips on sketch writing. On one monty python anecdote, apparently John Cleese or Graham Chapman said they would write the sketch in a morning and then it would take a week to come up with the ending.

I know there has been various opinions as to quality, but on the whole, i have found the sketches - if not all hilariously funny - well structured, well written and delivering on the set premise.

I just think there is a chance that they might get better quality with fewer submissions - and more time to assess their potential.

But, anyway, good luck, BTF.

Quote: Von1 @ 28th February 2018, 3:34 PM

That is a fair point. But I personally think that if the sketch is top drawer, it will get on - to the extent that Angela will probably tone down or change the intro accordingly - the intro is at the end of the day, just that.

NJ may think the more material they receive, the better chance of some real gems. That might be right, but also increases the chance of missing (or not fully appreciating) a joke/sketch, which might (with some work) work really well.

To be really topical, you are looking at 2 1/2 days to get a idea (for a sketch) and execute it well. If submitters could only submit 1 sketch you know you have to absolutely try and nail it. To devise, write, do away, re-write, go away some more, re-write, 2 days (plus life!) ain't a long time.

I am sure I clicked on a link to one of the various guides/tips on sketch writing. On one monty python anecdote, apparently John Cleese or Graham Chapman said they would write the sketch in a morning and then it would take a week to come up with the ending.

I know there has been various opinions as to quality, but on the whole, i have found the sketches - if not all hilariously funny - well structured, well written and delivering on the set premise.

I just think there is a chance that they might get better quality with fewer submissions - and more time to assess their potential.

But, anyway, good luck, BTF.

Thank you. It is all good fun anyway.

Quote: Von1 @ 28th February 2018, 2:52 PM

I think it may be an idea for NJ to consider reducing the limit to 2 one-liners (or even, dare I say 1)!? I do think that should apply to sketches. In the last two weeks I have only had time to submit 1 (each week) and it allowed me to write a few drafts and really clarify the idea.

If you get invited to their writing room, you will be asked to write two sketches that day, so it is worth trying to speed up your writing in anticipation of this.

That is a fair point. I guess I'm just flagging up my own limitations..!! I did 11 drafts of my sketch ????

Looking forward to hearing a recap from tonight. Pleased to have someone there tonight who's willing to report. Thank you.

Has anyone here who has been in the writers' room got stuff on the show which was produced in the writers room?

[quote name="Watch Maker" post="1187513" date="28th February 2018, 9:49 AM"]I am going to the show - for the first time - tonight so am as excited as a country bumpkin going to "that London." I will try to report back but will only have a phone and struggling with the format. Anyone else going?

How was it?

Quote: Thosisd @ 28th February 2018, 10:09 PM

[quote name="Watch Maker" post="1187513" date="28th February 2018, 9:49 AM"]I am going to the show - for the first time - tonight so am as excited as a country bumpkin going to "that London." I will try to report back but will only have a phone and struggling with the format. Anyone else going?

How was it?

OK First the bad news. They did one of my one liners about Steph McGovern but changed the punch line, then delivered it badly and it died. So I am sure it will not make the edit. Other than that a good show. Very good sketches on: Weather and Russians, Jamie Oliver,Valentines Day,University Vice Chancellors, KFC (best one), Trump and video games,Corbyn and Clit Bang. One liners included: dental journal, Rolling Stones,B and Q and Chess. There were others but I had to try and act like a normal audience member and stop taking notes at some time. All in all a good show. Enjoyed the experience but the weather was awful. Angela did a great job.

That's a shame about the one liner. Sounds like you had a good time anyway.

Doesn't sound like I got any sketches in then - went with Cafe Rogue and fake kidnapping.

Bad luck Watch Maker.

That sucks about your joke being fumbled but great that it made it to the recording. Did you feel like standing up and saying 'FFS...can we go again, and this time get it right!' :)

Valentine's day??....thought that horse had bolted?

"Corbyn & Clit Bang"....be interested to hear how that plays out :O

Quote: Danno @ 1st March 2018, 7:47 AM

That sucks about your joke being fumbled but great that it made it to the recording. Did you feel like standing up and saying 'FFS...can we go again, and this time get it right!' :)

Valentine's day??....thought that horse had bolted?

"Corbyn & Clit Bang"....be interested to hear how that plays out :O

As soon as I heard the first words of my one liner I let out a "Yes!" of triumph much to my wife's embarrassment and general tuttings from the audience, so now I feel guilty for being responsible for the death of my own joke!! I have killed my own darling. I bear no malice to the actress who botched the delivery as she is utterly gorgeous. At the end they did some re takes of fluffed lines and for a moment I thought they would possibly breathe new life into mine but it was not to be. On a general point I would recommend going to the show as a great experience. Just try to kerb your enthusiasm. :(