Newsjack Series 18 Page 19

One solo and truncated sketch in the bag. Now will try and hit the so far illusive 'F' spot with my oneliners...

we sent in ours - one about the stolen art found on a bus near Disney Paris and one about Goonhilly space communications. good luck everyone :)

I managed to submit two this week, despite Gmail's best efforts! Even though I definitely attached two sketches to my email, Gmail only sent one (the less excellent of the two). However thanks to me double checking my outbox and Newsjack flagging that only one sketch was sent I got the second one in on time.

Did mine on Camilla Duchess of Cornwall encouraging parents to read to their children, and that excellent story about US diplomats in Cuba allegedly being attacked by an acoustic weapon (had a really nice premise for that story).

I picked up on the George Weah footballer/president thing and put together a party political broadcast for the Vinny Jones Party. Won't hold my breath.

BR nationalisation and the British Rail Sandwich. Siberia and cold weather.

First sketch of the series - Steve Jobs application form - my best bet is they like the idea and completely rewrite it and still give me the credit!

Also did a sketch on Camilla PB encouraging parents to read to their children and one Kim Jong agreeing to meet with Trump. Good luck all.

Fingers crossed for this week's one-liners. I've tried to go for more of a "Newsjack style" which might help. Good luck to all!

I tried a NJ style with one. Then thought it was maybe not so funny but sent anyway in a hopeful way.
NJ would say we don't have a style - just make it funny.
However, there does seem to be a certain type that don't get on.
As in mine.

I once thought of one that someone here actually sent their own version of in and it got on the show.
The one I thought of was exactly the same.
Some people on here thought it was really good and I had discarded it as not being very funny so there you go!

Newsjack often use jokes with this tedious format (there's usually at least one on every show)

"Tory MPs want to ban plastic straws. They're cheap, annoying and they suck....{beat}....and so do the straws."

(Huge audience laugh)

They seem to absolutely love this "mention two things, describe characteristics of one, it turns out they also apply to the other" format. When the punchline is telegraphed a mile off like this I just can't stand it!

got voted in on a straw poll

Quote: Mike X @ 27th February 2018, 5:36 PM

Newsjack often use jokes with this tedious format (there's usually at least one on every show)

"Tory MPs want to ban plastic straws. They're cheap, annoying and they suck....{beat}....and so do the straws."

(Huge audience laugh)

They seem to absolutely love this "mention two things, describe characteristics of one, it turns out they also apply to the other" format. When the punchline is telegraphed a mile off like this I just can't stand it!

I must admit I'm not a fan of this style either and every time I hear something like it a voice in my head says "Welcome to The News Quiz!".

But the bit about (Huge Audience Laugh) is usually right so as long as people are laughing it isn't going to go away soon.

Mike X I thought that straw thing was funny in the context here.

I have found myself dumbing down and submitting stuff i would have normally binned to conform with the feel of the show. i submitted what i thought was some pretty good stuff only to hear a joke about Brexit being a compound word of Britain and exit!!! Really???

I still submitted this week!

I worry about the audience reaction with the constant cold.

Idea for a sketch, maybe send it in? Maybe post it here?