Hold The Sunset - Series 1 Page 2

I didn't rate it myself but I'll stick with it there's only been one episode. l'll probably give it at least three more weeks to give it a chance and really form my opinion on it.

I'm not sure why journalists should be against the show, as it doesn't feature a studio audience. Its popularity didn't suddenly turn them off Car Share.

Judging by the location of her gaff - near the river - I imagine when Edith sells up she'll be able to afford a very nice retirement place in Gozo!

Quote: gb901 @ 25th February 2018, 7:50 PM

Judging by the location of her gaff - near the river - I imagine when Edith sells up she'll be able to afford a very nice retirement place in Gozo!

Another gentle episode with some cracking scenes, the scene with Peter Egan was a particular stand out moment again.

Speaking of location, where was the series filmed?

Not as good as the first episode but there were a few funny moments.

It doesn't get any better in my opinion, which I am disappointed about as I had high hopes.

I follow another (non comedy) forum which covers all sorts of topics and this show has been totally slated by almost everyone on there. Various other reviews have been poor (newspapers, web sites etc)

I am a great Cleese fan, been a fan since he was on the radio in the 1960s (I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again etc), then of course Python, Fawlty Towers etc.

I love his sarcasm and irony, he rarely takes anything seriously.

I watched LAST WEEK'S Hold The Sunset (first episode) and quite enjoyed it.

With the son having a mid life crisis I thought it was more like a drama with some laughs (a bit like Auf Wiedersehen Pet).

And I enjoyed Cleese comments and sarcasm in the first episode. He sort of stands back and watches all this madness going on around him, dropping the odd "comment" in now and again.

If it had gone down the "drama with some laughs" route (in other words focus on the drama of a man in mid life crisis like Reggie Perrin) it may have been fine.

But the second episode last night was TERRIBLE.

A real old fashioned outdated 1970s Terry & June sitcom with annoying characters and annoying scenes.

I watched it all, but was ashamed of myself for watching it (I have always avoided what we may call "mainstream" sitcoms and have always enjoyed the rather more outlandish sitcoms - Young Ones, Father Ted, IT Crowd etc as well as "zany" comedy -
Python, early Steve Martin films, Airplane Naked Gun etc) .

Such a shame because there are some good actors in it, but it is just like something from the past which has not dated well.

For comedy fans like myself I did notice it was produced by Humphrey Barclay and he and Cleese worked together in the 1960s (Cambridge Footlights etc) and are old friends so maybe Cleese took it to help out an old mate.

But Humphrey is now 76 and maybe out of touch with modern "comedy" (and I use the term loosely!).

I did notice at the end it was dated 2017 so it seems they may have had this on the shelf for a while waiting for a slot.

Ratings dipped last night - but it still attracted more than 5 million viewers. Let's see how Episode 3 fares.

John Cleese said it was the best script he'd read in a hundred years & that he'd never seen so much laughing on set - even on Monty Python:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/hold_the_sunset/interview/john_cleese/

Perhaps they were laughing in disbelief? Don't think I'll bother watching any more episodes.

With a slight tweak, it could have been a massive hit: Cleese's character in each episode secretly kills a different character. Then again, maybe not, It didn't work in Splitting Heirs.

I'm still for it.

It's a drama with comedy - admittedly bittersweet - and that's neither an old or a new idea.

See in that respect Gavin and Stacey etc.

Also Car Share.

It's quite clever - the way that they are each joining forces with one of the other characters and then it twists and turns.

I am finding that I want to know what happens next.

The acting is very strong - Steadman is always a winner.

And so much of it rings true - what people say and the words they use to say it. Plus the fact that anyone born before 1955 is sound to the point of complacent because of being born at the right time and all of us who are younger are screwed up because we weren't and would generally make their lives a misery if they couldn't so easily pretend it all away.

I'll give it one more go.

Quote: Aaron @ 26th February 2018, 5:23 PM

Ratings dipped last night - but it still attracted more than 5 million viewers. Let's see how Episode 3 fares.

I took that comment from Cleese with a shovel full of salt - I rather suspect he really did this for the spondulicks!

Quote: A Horseradish @ 26th February 2018, 7:05 PM

I'm still for it.

It's a drama with comedy - admittedly bittersweet - and that's neither an old or a new idea.

See in that respect Gavin and Stacey etc.

Also Car Share.

It's quite clever - the way that they are each joining forces with one of the other characters and then it twists and turns.

I am finding that I want to know what happens next.

The acting is very strong - Steadman is always a winner.

And so much of it rings true - what people say and the words they use to say it. Plus the fact that anyone born before 1955 is sound to the point of complacent because of being born at the right time and all of us who are younger are screwed up because we weren't and would generally make their lives a misery if they couldn't so easily pretend it all away.

WTF?

Just watched both episodes back to back.

Same conclusion as most I think, John Cleese stole the show. Roger is awful so I hope his character has some depth because can't stand watching him.
I'm a fan of Peter Egan so his cameos were good, hopefully he gets some more screen time.

Overall, it's ok. I don't love it but don't hate it. Type of thing I'll watch if it's on but I won't go out my way to watch it.