The Death of Stalin

I finally watched Armando Iannucci's scarifying black comedy last night, and was bowled over. Anyone else seen it?

I've been looking forward to it, but it hasn't been released in the States yet. Looks like it's available from certain sources, so maybe I'll give it a go.

Banned in Russia, unsurprisingly!

Quote: beaky @ 20th February 2018, 11:29 PM

Banned in Russia, unsurprisingly!

That's kind of why I'm interested in seeing it. :)

I watched at the weekend and thought it enjoyable, very very funny in a number of places, but vastly overrated.

Zhukov was the absolute highlight.

Everything Iannucci does is vastly over rated isn't it? His faux intellectual style and his long name fool gullible media types into building him up as a modern comedy God. He's no Peter Cook or John Cleese for certain. I'm not sure he's as good at his job as Ben Elton from what I've seen. Political satire takes itself very seriously but is no greater than any other type of comedy.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st February 2018, 8:05 AM

Everything Iannucci does is vastly over rated isn't it? His faux intellectual style and his long name fool gullible media types into building him up as a modern comedy God. He's no Peter Cook or John Cleese for certain. I'm not sure he's as good at his job as Ben Elton from what I've seen. Political satire takes itself very seriously but is no greater than any other type of comedy.

That.

Whenever I see him being interviewed I always get the impression that his eyes are saying "Oh my God, I can't believe I am getting away with this bollocks. They actually believe me!"

Heretics!

Cool

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st February 2018, 10:00 AM

Whenever I see him being interviewed I always get the impression that his eyes are saying "Oh my God, I can't believe I am getting away with this bollocks. They actually believe me!"

To be fair, most comics and writers feel like that.

I certainly do!

(writes Alfred and Herc in small black notebook)

:O..............................:(.....................................Errr.................................Teary..................................Angelic

Pirate

He does seem a bit smug doesn't he.

I wonder what Corbin will make of it.

Anyway, we've got copies of the film on Blu-ray to give away. Do enter - bonus features include a very interesting audio commentary with all the writers. https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/the_death_of_stalin/competition/

Watched it last night.
It was OK, but I'm glad I didn't shell out for a cinema visit.
Zhukov was by far the best character and there were few good set pieces (eg shifting the body).
Not a patch on 'In the Loop', though.