How to view British comedy online?

Hi,
I'm from Australia. I've always been a fan of British comedy but I'm finding it harder and harder to watch. In the old days we could rely on the ABC to show British TV, but those days are gone.

Netflix in Australia seems to focus on US crap (although I haven't used it in a couple of years). I'm not having much luck just googling British sitcoms that I read about on British Comedy Guide.

What do you guys reckon the best bet is?

Netflix in Britain seems to focus on US crap, too.

Unless you fancy waiting and shipping over loads of selections of DVDs (themselves only a selection of what's broadcast), sadly your only option right now would be to go the illegal route of BitTorrent et al., or to get a UK VPN connection so you can watch the on-demand services. There are various schemes under way to launch paid-for, international on-demand platforms, but none have launched yet to my knowledge, and there's no telling what content will be on them.

Quote: Chop In A Toaster @ 18th January 2018, 7:32 AM

Seek and ye shall find. As the bard said:
Into the channel, till the lowest stream
Do kiss the most exalted shores of all.

I'm a bit of an Anglophile, but the obsession with Shakespeare is completely baffling to me. I'd prefer some good old fashioned Beowulf.

As you wish:
Saégenga fór fléat fámigheals forð ofer ýðe bundenstefna ofer brimstréamas

I just found this site that lets you easily see what is on Netflix. BCG should know of this.

http://flixable.co/genre/british-tv/?min-rating=0&min-year=2017&max-year=2018&order=date

Netflix does have some excellent British content like Black Mirror, and Man Down.

Quote: Chop In A Toaster @ 19th January 2018, 10:50 PM

I just found this site that lets you easily see what is on Netflix. BCG should know of this.

http://flixable.co/genre/british-tv/?min-rating=0&min-year=2017&max-year=2018&order=date

Netflix does have some excellent British content like Black Mirror, and Man Down.

That site says it's US Netflix only.

Oh and, randomly, Finland.

Hmmm yeah I remember they used to call this thing the 'world wide web'. Doesn't feel like it over here. I'll have to take your advice and get a VPN. I did have a paid one a few years ago, but struggled to get enough bandwidth through it to watch BBC iplayer. I'll have to try again.

Quote: Chop In A Toaster @ 20th January 2018, 12:31 PM

I did have a paid one a few years ago, but struggled to get enough bandwidth through it to watch BBC iplayer. I'll have to try again.

Yes. I hope Australian broadband has improved over the past 10 years; the NBN is hopeless, making it unfeasible for some Australians to stream or download gigabytes of shows monthly.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th January 2018, 9:19 AM

Netflix in Britain seems to focus on US crap, too.

You can say that again... :D

Quote: Chop In A Toaster @ 18th January 2018, 7:32 AM

Hi,
I'm from Australia. I've always been a fan of British comedy but I'm finding it harder and harder to watch. In the old days we could rely on the ABC to show British TV, but those days are gone.

Netflix in Australia seems to focus on US crap (although I haven't used it in a couple of years). I'm not having much luck just googling British sitcoms that I read about on British Comedy Guide.

Try here

Illegal website link removed

Check out Britbox! It's a UK tv service similar to Netflix with BBC and ITV content that is exclusively available to people outside the UK. It's the only subscription service I haven't cancelled at this point. It has a lot of stuff I would never watch, but tons of classic comedy, and various other things. Has Inside No 9 too (had to say that).

Quote: Davida @ 9th March 2018, 9:10 AM

Check out Britbox! It's a UK tv service similar to Netflix with BBC and ITV content that is exclusively available to people outside the UK. It's the only subscription service I haven't cancelled at this point. It has a lot of stuff I would never watch, but tons of classic comedy, and various other things. Has Inside No 9 too (had to say that).

Britbox is only available for the USA and Canada. The OP is from Australia so he can't get access to it unfortunately.

Oh lame. I thought Britbox only restricted access to people within the UK. Rats. Sorry Australia!

Buy cheap DVDs off eBay? Are you Region 2? If not you can get a universal player, or one that you can at least switch the region code on, which I think is pretty much all of them. That's what I've had to do.

Australia is Region 4. Almost all DVDs made by BBC Worldwide - that's the 2 Entertain and BBC labels - are both Region 2 and 4. Sadly, not everything on the BBC is released by the BBC, and nothing everything released by the BBC is a BBC programme, so it can get a bit confusing.