Newsjack Series 18 Page 13

Bit slow off the mark with this series on here but well done to those who've got any sort of e-mail for the first two episodes.

Special mention to Dantrobus for the VAR sketch in episode 1, thought that was very good and an original angle on a story they must have got lots of sketches on.
Also really enjoyed the slang weather forecast one in episode 1 - superb and really stood out from the rest of the episode as something different. (Don't think that was anyone on here).

Haven't had a chance to listen to episode 2 yet and will admit was put off a bit by some previous posts!

"Haven't had a chance to listen to episode 2 yet and will admit was put off a bit by some previous posts!"

@StephenM I wouldn't rush to listen to it. It was bad.

I think Angela Barnes is a great joke writer herself so I really wonder what's going through her head when she has to deliver really bad jokes that someone else wrote. I'd be surprised if she herself genuinely thinks that everything they choose is actually funny.

avant-garde in places.

At this point in the week it's always fun to try to spot the news stories that will have huge numbers of one-liners submitted and will therefore be incredibly competitive in the joke selection process. I'm guessing the KFC story will be a prime target, so if you've got any sense avoid it at all costs!

You're advising them to chicken out then?

Are you referring to the Kilmarnock FC ticket scandal?

This week's toilet humour grenade: 'flatulence grounds plane'

Quote: Danno @ 19th February 2018, 4:59 PM

Are you referring to the Kilmarnock FC ticket scandal?

This week's toilet humour grenade: 'flatulence grounds plane'

Oh dear. I admit I have toilet humour. I am afraid I could not resist a one-liner on it.

You never know, it could be a winner.

Currently have one too many one liners and struggling with which to cut.

One would work as a Number Cruncher too. If I flip it, I then have too many NC's!

Quote: StephenM @ 19th February 2018, 1:27 PM

Special mention to Dantrobus for the VAR sketch in episode 1, thought that was very good and an original angle on a story they must have got lots of sketches on.

Thank you. Very kind of you to say.

I managed to get two sketches in this week. One not-too-rushed one on the Cultural Olympiad programme of arts events alongside the Winter Olympics, and one very rushed one on the cow that escaped the slaughterhouse by smashing through a fence, breaking a guy's arm and swimming to an island.

Quote: Dantrobus @ 19th February 2018, 9:56 PM

Thank you. Very kind of you to say.

I managed to get two sketches in this week. One not-too-rushed one on the Cultural Olympiad programme of arts events alongside the Winter Olympics, and one very rushed one on the cow that escaped the slaughterhouse by smashing through a fence, breaking a guy's arm and swimming to an island.

The cultural thingy sounds very promising and sporty.
The cow idea sounds funny even without the sketch.
I did a rushed one on predictions linked to the time traveller but am not convinced the angle is newsjacky and am not sure about it. Don't think they will use it but couldn't think of anything else.

Submitted 6 one liners. Am happier with them than any other set done by me so far. Don't expect them to get anywhere as it's in the lap of the gods.

I thought I had submitted two this week but unfortunately one of my sketches failed to attach! It was probably my fault but that's never happened to me before/I've never made that mistake before :( and it's especially gutting as it was probably the better of the two.

Anyway, as there's no chance it'll be used I've shared it in the rejects here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/34282/ (I've edited out the intro joke as I can still use it for my one-liners)

Story was about celebrities dressing in black for the BAFTAs, and the sketch is a charity ad to help celebrities pay for clothes to raise awareness for causes.

Ah well never mind, there's still three more weeks.

Quote: BTF @ 19th February 2018, 10:06 PM

The cow idea sounds funny even without the sketch.

I know. It's a brilliant story - not sure I've managed to add anything to make it funnier. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/cows-escapes-slaughterhouse-poland-rams-fence-swims-island-lake-nysa-a8214266.html

Good point. It's can be really tricky to take a story that is already pretty funny and make a joke about it. Having said that this week I've gone to the opposite extreme and included a one-liner about the American school shooting which will probably get binned straight away as NJ doesn't tend to do edgy stuff.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 19th February 2018, 10:17 PM

I thought I had submitted two this week but unfortunately one of my sketches failed to attach! It was probably my fault but that's never happened to me before/I've never made that mistake before :( and it's especially gutting as it was probably the better of the two.

Anyway, as there's no chance it'll be used I've shared it in the rejects here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/34282/ (I've edited out the intro joke as I can still use it for my one-liners)

Story was about celebrities dressing in black for the BAFTAs, and the sketch is a charity ad to help celebrities pay for clothes to raise awareness for causes.

Ah well never mind, there's still three more weeks.

Had a read. Yes it was good.