Newsjack Series 18 Page 9

I only managed 3 onesies this time. But I think they're pretty good. Well two of them. Fingers crossed.

Good luck all.
6 last minute ones in my lunch break. Need to make more time.

Anyone planning to attend the taping tomorrow?

I noticed on Twitter one or two of the script writers had commented that they had received loads of great sketches. That is reassuring in one way - it shows that they think that the standard is high and that lots of sketches are pretty good.
The down side, if you can call it that, is that there is a lot of competition with so many great sketches going in.

Which are the twitter accounts to follow?

Hi Thosisd
If you were replying to my last comment, I am useless on twitter so only just cope with getting on the Newsjack twitter account.
Liam Beirne and Jack Bernhardt were the script editors last week I think. I think it was Liam Beirne or something like that who made the comment on the Newsjack one.
If you were not replying to my comment then ignore this!

I was, thank you. That's a helpful start. I search for Newsjack on there at key times in the week but hadn't seen comment about sketches received.

See the tweet about receiving good sketches was from last week. One to follow though.

[quote name="Danno" post="1186249" date="9th February 2018, 8:37 AM"]The 'self-deprecating' thing is healthy, i wrote that now famous line as a compliment to all us "Barry Cryers" (another famous quote from earlier doors)

I dunno if this is of any help to anyone...http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/32532275

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/self-deprecating-humour-greater-psychological-wellbeing-link-study-university-of-granada-spain-a8207976.html

The Independent must have bookmarked this forum ;)

Just think. Right now some millennial at the BBC who loves Keith Lemon and Mrs Brown's Boys is looking at your one-liner, failing to get the reference and throwing it in the bin. Happy days.

Quote: Mike X @ 14th February 2018, 9:57 AM

Just think. Right now some millennial at the BBC who loves Keith Lemon and Mrs Brown's Boys is looking at your one-liner, failing to get the reference and throwing it in the bin. Happy days.

I believe they actually read them out in front of as many people as they can find, and if they get a laugh then they progress it to the next stage.

Quote: Nogget @ 14th February 2018, 10:02 AM

I believe they actually read them out in front of as many people as they can find, and if they get a laugh then they progress it to the next stage.

According to the Sitcom Geeks podcast that's the second stage of the process. Before that each one-liner has been read by just one person on the team and they decide if it's worth consideration and reading to the group. If that one person doesn't get it or doesn't like it or are in a bad mood it gets binned before anyone else sees it.

I listened to the podcasts and I think they get so many one-liners (I guess in terms of individual gags it amounts to well over 1000 and maybe over 2000) that a number of people in the department help at first. This may explain how one person passes a one-liner on to the next stage whilst a pretty much identical one is rejected!

Then when they have short-listed some - I guess that they would short-list under 100 - they have a one-liner 'party' where they read them out to a group of them and decide on the basis of which ones they laugh at.

Imagining the chuckles of the BBC canteen staff is what keeps me going.