Time Gentlemen Please Page 6

Still working my way through these, just reached the end of Series 1. I'm going to get the box set soon and start Series 2 sometime this week.

I find this sitcom as funny as I do cringe worthy - The most bizarre feeling I've had towards a comedy.

It's definitely shit, but somehow very funny and I enjoy it on a Friday night.

Phil Daniels is hilarious in this and I enjoy each and every fart he produces, especially as he gets knocked out from his drinking chair and managed to let one out as he falls over.

As an avid OFAH fan, I enjoyed the episode with Kenneth Macdonald in, coming face to face with Roy Heather. Lovely moment it were. Also sad to know that Kenneth passed away probably a matter of months after that episode.

Also, Julia Sawalha and Emma Pierson are incredibly sexy in this series - and thankfully Al Murray and Richard Herring took full advantage in making Emma a saucy little feisty minx with many sexual references both physically and verbally!

As regards to Julia, although I found her Australian accent annoying, I really did enjoy (alongside her comedic acting skills), her magnificent breasts. She was also very sexy in Jonathan Creek.

Can I say the above these days without sounding like some sort of sleaze bag? Isn't it 'misogynist' as the modern political folk say now? Ah well, don't give a shite! I'd let them both have ago on my pint glass! (I'm implying I have a massive cock)

On a separate note - what ever happened to the actor, Jason Freeman? (Steve Crosby)

He has no recorded history in IMDB/Wiki. I did hear a rumour years ago that he committed suicide.

Anyone know if he simply stepped down from acting and got a 'normal' job?

Just reading through the thread and there are a few of you who disliked Terry. All I say to you lot is oh dear, what a pity, nevermind!

He was bloody hilarious in this in my opinion. All the characters are purposely OTT and that's the whole point.

Favourite episode has to be the old age pensioners one where Guv thought he was being clever by offering free drinks to the parents of 80+ year olds, where a load of 95+ pensioners came strolling in supping his business dry. But the funniest part was Guv shouting at them for singing old war songs and every time this happened, a voice of someone heard and not seen would shout an expletive at him.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 11th February 2018, 2:10 PM

I'd let them both have ago on my pint glass! (I'm implying I have a massive cock)

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

On a separate note - what ever happened to the actor, Jason Freeman? (Steve Crosby)

No one seems to know. It comes up from time to time on Twitter, people ask both Al and Rich, but neither appear to have a clue.

I find this sitcom as funny as I do cringe worthy - The most bizarre feeling I've had towards a comedy.

It's definitely shit

Get. Out.

It's definitely shit, but somehow very funny and I enjoy it on a Friday night.

I almost entirely agree with these statements. It's a shit show, but I like it anyway.

It was amazing really because it was a 26 episode sitcom - unusual for the UK.

Lucky I had Sky 1 free on my service at the time.

Quote: Chappers @ 12th February 2018, 10:05 PM

22 in Series 1. 39 in total. IIRC, they'd hoped to sell it to the US.

Quote: Chappers @ 12th February 2018, 10:05 PM

Only for terrestrial channels and that's mostly the BBC tbh. ITV were once well known for their longer sitcom runs but even the Beeb have exceptions, WHTT Likely Lads had two 13 ep series IIRC. I'm not sure why that was other than maybe the writers already had a dozen good scripts ready and the Beeb liked them. I know I certainly did after watching it.

Commercial TV can offer longer run contracts before airing because they are guaranteed revenue by the air space buyers. If they like a particular show that fits their commercial brands for advertising then they can comfortably contract a longer run before the ratings are revealed.

The BBC has a budget for entertainment shows so they much more nervously keep the series short then evaluate ratings after each one and increasingly now end them quickly if they aren't watched or even thought good enough because their budgets are getting tighter. In commercial telly if it's popular it continues, despite critical reviews. And that is why ITV has a poorer reputation for sitcom than the Beeb. Shame as I enjoyed many an ITV sitcom before they lost their bottle and stopped making them. :(

Only seen one ep of this long after it aired and laughed but was already a fan of the pub landlord and Murray in general. But I still think the funniest thing he ever did was a tiny little commercial for Trebor mints I think it was. Laughing out loud The girl's face next to him had my ribs aching.

It's things like this why I'm glad I discovered this site. I'd never even heard of an Al Murray sitcom until now. I'll have to look it up on Amazon.

Quote: Statesman Dave @ 25th February 2018, 12:24 PM

It's things like this why I'm glad I discovered this site. I'd never even heard of an Al Murray sitcom until now. I'll have to look it up on Amazon.

They are worth a watch, if you're a fan of Al Murray. Certainly nothing to get overly excited about, but worth a look all the same.

I'd say it is something to get excited about if you haven't seen it.

Great characters and running gags. The only thing I found disappointing was Rebecca Front. I've seen her in loads of things since and did them well but I felt she was miscast here.

Quote: Aaron @ 23rd July 2007, 6:33 PM

Well that was just series one. Then there was the Christmas special, and another 12, I think, in series two. 37 in all, if I recall correctly.

Yep, that's right. I recall watching it when it was first broadcast on Sky1 and yes, the series went on for ever ...

Quote: Aaron @ 16th March 2009, 6:13 PM

The complete series (all 37 episodes) is out on DVD today. A real must for any Al Murray (and probably bean-faced Richard Herring) fan.

See Amazon product listing

I bought it to watch over Christmas and we're now discs in. I'm loving the catchphrase-based comedy, but sometimes it falls a bit flat. A few of our former mates in the good old civil service morphed into alcoholics, so it's just like being in the same room as them really.

Quote: Jack Massey @ 16th March 2009, 10:38 PM

He's just too slobbish to be funny in my opinion. I did like the rest of the characters though, especially Lesley and Leslie.

I agree, he is just too gross and the farting thing gets a bit tiresome after ten or so episodes. Leslie and Lesley are fab, although the former has now ascended into the great pub in the sky - RIP Jeff Rudom.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 11th February 2018, 2:35 PM

Just reading through the thread and there are a few of you who disliked Terry. All I say to you lot is oh dear, what a pity, nevermind!

He was bloody hilarious in this in my opinion. All the characters are purposely OTT and that's the whole point.

Favourite episode has to be the old age pensioners one where Guv thought he was being clever by offering free drinks to the parents of 80+ year olds, where a load of 95+ pensioners came strolling in supping his business dry. But the funniest part was Guv shouting at them for singing old war songs and every time this happened, a voice of someone heard and not seen would shout an expletive at him.

A little like the denouement scene in the Father Ted episode 'Chirpy Burpy Cheap Sheep' where someone, probably Graham Linehan is shouting 'f**king hell' during the crowd's general murmuring.

I was listening to an episode of 'Ask The Industry' podcast the other night featuring Richard Keith Herring, who stated that he'd been disappointed about how poorly TGP had been received. It seems a shame really.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 25th January 2019, 4:19 PM

I was listening to an episode of 'Ask The Industry' podcast the other night featuring Richard Keith Herring, who stated that he'd been disappointed about how poorly TGP had been received. It seems a shame really.

I do wonder if they ever were overly serious in making this comedy anything particulary special. The amount of cliches and bad acting makes up the whole premise of the show.

Did they do this on purpose or was this their idea of the makings of a top comedy?

I do enjoy watching this show but as I previously mentioned - it is almost like a guilty pleasure of mine. It is a terrible sitcom but I often find a place in my heart for it!

Maybe if they'd split it into smaller series of 6 or 7 episodes.

Has it ever been repeated? I know it was on Sky though but I have got the whole series on DVD.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th January 2019, 8:26 PM

Has it ever been repeated? I know it was on Sky though but I have got the whole series on DVD.

I think it was repeated about eight or so years ago on Comedy Central Extra in the early hours of the night. As far as I'm aware, it's never been shown again since and I don't think Sky have ever repeated.