The Weather Page 185

There's TOO MUCH weather forecasting on the BBC. OK maybe we want to know what it MIGHT be like tomorrow, but next week?!?! It's rarely going to be correct anyway; but the reason I write to you all today is that as of yesterday the Beeb trumpeted out their new graphics for all weather forecasts on TV and made a point of saying "notice the green land of the UK".

YES!! And THAT is what people have been saying for YEARS when the last change was made and the entire country was shown as a muddy brown, and people complained, saying why wasn't it all green!?

Piss Up and Brewery spring to mind.

At least they have stopped say 32% chance of rain etc.

What is 32%, surely it's 100% or 0%

It might rain is better.

Something's definitely happened to our weather it just isn't anything like it used to be, except the rain ofcourse ahem. This has been a cold winter like we haven't experienced for a while - consistently cold since November and the last few weeks hovering around zero or just over. My thermals have never had so much use.

That's supposed to be and actually used to be here until about the 90s probably, the perfect conditions for snow. So where the f**k is it? I remember getting snow regularly in the 70s and 80s in the south of England, now you see on the news only the very north and Scotland getting it. So now it's just freezing your knackers off with none of the fun, it's like a Christmas cake with no icing. Angry Give us our weather back! I reckon as soon as Brexit's done we'll get our snow back. :) So hurry up.

Same. Used to always get snow in the 90s. Now f**k all.
Of course I have moved somewhere else. (The south west f**king sucks, FYI.)
But winter is literally pointless without snow.

Quote: zooo @ 11th February 2018, 11:24 PM

Used to always get snow in the 90s. Now f**k all.

We get a light dusting of snow every 5-10 years here in southern Texas. This year we got 3 inches and a bonus ice storm a couple of weeks later.

But winter is literally pointless without snow.

Except for lower division football clubs whose games get postponed when it snows.

Of course I have moved somewhere else. (The south west f**king sucks, FYI.)

I can't work out if you're jesting in irony or not. Beautiful countryside, warmer weather, not far from the coast with nightlife and end of pier amusements, lovely pubs and tea shops nestled in the quaint old cobbly high streets. I thought all Brits south of Birmingham were just waiting to retire down there.

Warmer weather isn't a plus to me, I like it cold.
Plus there's no snow, and more casual racism than I've witnessed anywhere else I've lived.

The sun hasn't quite risen yet, but it's currently much warmer in London (45F/7C) than it is here in south Texas (34F/1C). That just ain't right.

Quote: zooo @ 12th February 2018, 11:56 AM

Plus there's no snow, and more casual racism than I've witnessed anywhere else I've lived.

I lived in south Devon for a year and while I'd go back and live there tomorrow if I could I did find it uncomfortably muggy much of the time as I prefer the cooler climes too. But what countryside! quiet open spaces you can hear yourself think in and walk for miles in peace and have lovely scones and jam when you finally make it to a town. And great fish and chips and pasties, and cider.

The latter negative thing you talk of can only be a shock to modern day Londoners or other dense metropolitaners who've lived with forced multiculturalism as the norm with all the mad PC prods and nudges not to object that's sprung up with it. It's exactly what caused the 'white flight' to the west country among other places so it's natural many feel freer to be more old fashioned in their views there. But these are things I'm sure you can filter out against the much wider pleasures of living in a beautiful part of the world.

Rolling eyes
I wouldn't know where to start with all that so I shan't bother.

Quote: zooo @ 12th February 2018, 2:44 PM

Rolling eyes
I wouldn't know where to start with all that so I shan't bother.

Yes, pointless.

? You object to Cornish pasties?

Quote: zooo @ 12th February 2018, 11:56 AM

I know what you mean because when I moved to Stroud from the Midlands I noticed attitudes seemed slightly differnt from back home. I met people who still used the word coloured and referring to people as immigrants not realising it's offensive. At one place I had the misfortune to work at in Dursley three different people used the N word including the boss. I was disgusted and to this day I regret not speaking out instead of being spineless and keeping quiet. I should have reported it to the police and it was my resposibility to report it to the police but I never did.

Not everyone I've met are like that but there is definitely a higher proportion of people with ignorant views. Amazing views and a ramblers dream though so that makes up for it.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 12th February 2018, 11:19 PM

At one place I had the misfortune to work at in Dursley three different people used the N word including the boss. I was disgusted and to this day I regret not speaking out instead of being spineless and keeping quiet. I should have reported it to the police and it was my resposibility to report it to the police but I never did.

People are expected to report stuff like that to the police?

Quote: DaButt @ 12th February 2018, 11:29 PM

People are expected to report stuff like that to the police?

That kind of thing can be a criminal offence and is something the police treat seriously so even if it didn't result in charges being made and a court appearance etc it would have no doubt resulted in the police visiting and taking statements of what was said. In those cases it would have probably resulted in a stern warning but no further action because it's an ignorant oaf not knowing any better as opposed to someone spreading racial hatred and one visit from the old bill isn't going to change the distorted views somone has grown up with.