Sitcom Recommendations

Hello,

I'm looking for new sitcoms to watch. As at the moment I'm keeping watching the same ones over and over again.

The type of sitcoms that I really like are gentle and not really offensive in any way. I really like sitcoms like Bless This House, Terry and June, Are You Being Served?, Porridge, Open All Hours, George and Mildred and so forth.

I'm looking for sitcoms from the 1960s up the 1980s to watch. I really don't like modern sitcoms.

I don't want anything like The Young Ones, 'Allo 'Allo! or It Ain't Half Hot Mum, anything like that.

Thank you.

Dad's Army and Rising Damp.

I heard really good reviews about Rising Damp, I was looking forward to watch it, but then I bought the box set at Christmas, and I really didn't like it at all. I got bored of it by the third series and the film is worse.

As for Dad's Army, I don't like it either. I really don't like sitcoms set in the war. Blackadder the Forth is the exception though. The theme tune was brilliant, but I don't like it. I enjoyed the original movie of it though.

2point4 Children
Gentle family sitcom but from 90s, and I think you watched it as it is mainstream.

Sounds great rrr969! But the trouble is that isn't on DVD. Only the 1-3 series has been released! I wonder why they stopped after that though.

You must have seen The Good Life but it fits your remit.
Same with Ever Decreasing Circles.
Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads is a true classic and not too offensive.
The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin?
Not quite up there but still very watchable are Dear John...., Man About The House, The Lovers, Oh Brother, The Rag Trade, Two In Clover, Citizen Smith, Oh Doctor Beeching!, Grace & Favour, Hi-De-Hi!, The Old Guys, Tripper's Day, Going Straight, Fresh Fields.
How about some under the radar stuff that was actually quite watchable like ITV's Never The Twain, Father, Dear Father, Keep It In The Family, Only When I Laugh or Shelley? Must be loads more you might like.

Quote: Wheel @ 12th February 2018, 1:53 PM

Sounds great rrr969! But the trouble is that isn't on DVD. Only the 1-3 series has been released! I wonder why they stopped after that though.

You may be able to find it via YouTube.

I can recommend Man About The House, George & Mildred, and Father, Dear Father too. I've also recently been watching You're Only Young Twice and That's My Boy, which you'd probably like.

And as you cite Bless This House, what about George And The Dragon, Nearest & Dearest, Two In Clover and Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width?

Thanks guys I'll check them out!
Some interesting selections out there!

Although Reginald Perrin, is something I don't like.

I have watched Dear John, but I won't watch it again.

I'm going to check out. You're Only Young Twice first!

Just Good Friends, The Gaffer, Brush Strokes, Watching, Chance In A Million, As Time Goes By, Sharon and Elsie, Home To Roost, The Two Of Us, The Brittas Empire.

Hi-de-Hi! All nice characters and very funny script.

Duty Free

P.S. You're Only Young Twice is awwwwwfullll.

Quote: lofthouse @ 12th February 2018, 6:26 PM

P.S. You're Only Young Twice is awwwwwfullll.

Flora Petty will get you for that.

Peggy Mount and Pat Coombs were ace!

But sadly even they couldn't make up for the terrible scripts and plots

Quote: Aaron @ 12th February 2018, 6:37 PM

Flora Petty will get you for that.

I watched the first 2 episodes and I liked it.

Good man! Stick with it. Lally Bowers's character is a joy.