Current radio comedy Page 136

I'm not sure who decided "Angstrom" was worth a commission. Limp, unfunny, even the poor actors seem lost. To spoof Nordic Noir is a fine idea, a genre that's ripe for spoofing, but on radio?

Yes. A terrible waste when you consider John Finnemore is on in the same time slot.

And now an epically pointless nitpick.

Start/Stop. 4 extra. Jack Doherty's character, claiming to be an emotional cripple because he's a man says, 'Distant father, born two decades before Gazza cried.'
The actual Jack Doherty, who wrote this pretty good three couples interact show was born in 1962, twenty-eight years before Gazza cried.
Am I being unreasonable or is he being a bit vain taking eight years off a character that more or less is Jack Doherty? Maybe I should stop ferreting about in wikipedia whatever show is on.

Anyway, loads of plot, laughs, accurate internal monologues, well acted. Shame the telly version didn't take off.

If any of you didn't vote for Finnemore for the radio comedy award on here, I am officially displeased with you. Was happy with nearly every result except that one.

Quote: The Thirteenth Caesar @ 10th February 2018, 1:47 AM

Am I being unreasonable or is he being a bit vain taking eight years off a character that more or less is Jack Doherty? Maybe I should stop ferreting about in wikipedia whatever show is on.

Anyway, loads of plot, laughs, accurate internal monologues, well acted. Shame the telly version didn't take off.

It's not vanity. Dramatic licence if anything. "Two decades" suggests he's roughly the same age as Kerry Godliman, playing his wife. There is no obvious age gap between the two characters. Whereas an age gap is fundamental to David and Alice's relationship. I love the show. Very funny, some very acute observations on relationships, and Docherty even manages to find pathos amongst the laughs.

Never saw the TV version. I must seek it out.

Well I went to my first radio recording last night, a short comedy play by Suki Webster and starring her and Paul Merton, very funny, broadcast in April I think they said.

Very good one on radio 4 at the moment

Bridget Christie's Utopia

Quote: Davida @ 10th February 2018, 4:34 AM

If any of you didn't vote for Finnemore for the radio comedy award on here, I am officially displeased with you. Was happy with nearly every result except that one.

I didn't because I can't stick his contrived stuff. What I've heard sounds like very thought out and planned clipboard stuff assembled with little soul or inspiration. In other words over written. Where's the 'invisible hand' great performance writing is meant to have?

It is the biggest problem with sketch shows and is why I've never been a fan of them, bar Benny Hill who was as natural as they came and his radio work was brilliant. I voted for Sayle who might be an old voice that hasn't changed much but what heart he writes and performs with. Comedy with some soul.

Alone

This is quite good and better than I had expected.

Ring Around the Bath

Life, Death and Sex with Mike and Sue

Quote: A Horseradish @ 5th May 2018, 8:30 AM

Alone

"Quite good" sums it up. The Deayton character is strangely ill-defined amongst a bunch of stereotypes. I just don't think it's funny enough.

Ring Around the Bath

Gently amusing in an old-fashioned way. The first series seemed to have more edge to it.

Written by Bill Dare, a real talent. His Brian Gulliver's Travels, currently being repeated, is excellent. LD&SwM&S was a brave concept but patchy.

I finally caught up with Stockport, So Good They Named It Once. Nicely amusing with enough edge to it. Jim Poyser co-wrote with Damien Lanigan. Poyser has a way with the region's words.

Quote: italophile @ 5th May 2018, 9:00 AM

"Quite good" sums it up. The Deayton character is strangely ill-defined amongst a bunch of stereotypes. I just don't think it's funny enough.

Written by Bill Dare, a real talent. His Brian Gulliver's Travels, currently being repeated, is excellent. LD&SwM&S was a brave concept but patchy.

I finally caught up with Stockport, So Good They Named It Once. Nicely amusing with enough edge to it. Jim Poyser co-wrote with Damien Lanigan. Poyser has a way with the region's words.

Thank you Italophile for your interesting comments. :)

Quote: italophile @ 25th January 2018, 10:37 AM

I'm not sure who decided "Angstrom" was worth a commission. Limp, unfunny, even the poor actors seem lost. To spoof Nordic Noir is a fine idea, a genre that's ripe for spoofing, but on radio?

Hazeley and Morris, nuff said.

Barely made it through another episode of "Alone". Revising my opinion from "not funny enough" to lame and limp and unfunny. There is probably potential in the notion of a therapist sharing a house with a bunch of misfits but it's never really addressed.

It's interesting listening to series 1 of Ed Reardon's Week now being replayed on 4Extra. Chris Douglas and Andrew Nickolds hit the ground running with Ed as a fully-formed character, even if a little prone to a bit of hysteria at the outset. How nice to hear the wonderful John Fortune again as Felix. The series lost a little something with Felix's disappearance after Fortune's death.

I actually really enjoyed Alone, one of the better Radio 4 sitcoms I've heard in some time. And I loved Angstrom even if the plot was a bit difficult to keep up with - I was mostly driving when it was on, so that may explain my lack of focus.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 5th May 2018, 8:30 AM

Alone

Ring Around the Bath

If we are going back into the past one my colleagues and I used to listen to at work years ago was called Married about a guy who wakes up in a parallel world and horror of horrors he is married. Hugh Bonneville and Stephen Frost on top form.

Quote: italophile @ 13th May 2018, 11:09 AM

Barely made it through another episode of "Alone". Revising my opinion from "not funny enough" to lame and limp and unfunny. There is probably potential in the notion of a therapist sharing a house with a bunch of misfits but it's never really addressed.

Looks like I am the only one who enjoyed Alone. Great cast with Angus leading the way. I thoroughly enjoyed it.