character development

i recently had some feed back saying that my characters were not fully developed and hard to buy into, but with no further comments. I was wondering where/ how i should be doing this ,in the script itself? or in the synopsis, or maybe just better writing, any comments/ advice would be welcome.

Cheers
J26

In the script, of course.

How do you judge someone's character when you meet them in the real world?
By what they say, what they do and how they react to situations.
You have to do that, but in your writing.
It's no good saying that "Brian is an intolerant, woman-hating bigot" in the synopsis unless you demonstrate that in the script, through what he says, what he does and - very importantly - how he reacts to situations.
So, better writing, really.

thanks it sounds like another rewrite

J26

It's always another rewrite!

Quote: Lazzard @ 9th February 2018, 10:03 AM

How do you judge someone's character when you meet them in the real world?
By what they say, what they do and how they react to situations.
You have to do that, but in your writing.
It's no good saying that "Brian is an intolerant, woman-hating bigot" in the synopsis unless you demonstrate that in the script, through what he says, what he does and - very importantly - how he reacts to situations.
So, better writing, really.

Superb advice from someone who obviously knows what he is about. :)

"Formerly an advertising creative - I may even have written a few commercials you know. Or not".

BTW : in as few words as possible.. "Any money in creating adverts these days/how does one get into it/can someone 'off the street' get in a make a fast buck (if they have a good enough idea)/and what would be the best way to go about that?"

Your starter for 10. Or not.. :)

Asking me how to get into advertising is like asking steam-engine driver how to fly a rocket
The changes are huge - and all for the worse on the "having a laugh/quick buck" front.
I think there are courses now.
Which probably means you're f**ked without a degree.

Quote: Lazzard @ 11th February 2018, 11:07 AM

Asking me how to get into advertising is like asking steam-engine driver how to fly a rocket
The changes are huge - and all for the worse on the "having a laugh/quick buck" front.
I think there are courses now.
Which probably means you're f**ked without a degree.

Yes, I suppose it would be that way.

In terms of selling an idea as a one-off, there's a lot to be said for being there BEFORE the West was won.

Thanks for your reply, you hit the nail on the head as usual.

:)

Oh yes.
It was a wild and wooly time.