Newsjack Series 18 Page 4

Yes Good Luck all, I have been unable myself to think of anything remotely topical that might also be considered currently funny. Of course, that has never stopped me before as many a reader of my not insubstantial post count will tell you. I am not at all good at writing comedy to order, but song lyrics, yes. You want a song about 'hermetically challenged' necrophiliacs or Turkish lobotomy 'best practice' and then I'm your man.. I'm wasted on here, I really am..

Best, Frankie xxx

Quote: Thosisd @ 6th February 2018, 9:22 PM

I think there's a massive amount of luck involved too. The reject thread proves that some really well written (and funny!) jokes get missed, while a few weak ones get in. Keep trying and one day you'll get a hit.

Speaking of which, are we waiting for Thursday to start a new Rejects thread? Or, you know, just assuming it'll be a no...

I reckon that the Newsjack team read this thread and blacklist anyone who complains about the show. It would explain a lot...

Quote: Mike X @ 7th February 2018, 12:14 PM

I reckon that the Newsjack team read this thread and blacklist anyone who complains about the show. It would explain a lot...

In that case, I take back what I said earlier about the audience being thickos :-D

Are there any other shows currently like Newsjack that don't dictate a one dimensional approach?

Regarding the rejects, perhaps we could call the thread 'Jacked off'.

I will be happy to put my non-compliant gags and sketches there straight away and save the middleman the pain.

Oh cheer up you lot, we've got six weeks of this! ;)

Guidance from the wise please.

I have got tickets for the Newsjack show on 28 February. I note on the ticket that it says they issue more tickets than there are places and it is first come first served. The show starts at 8pm but admission is from 6.15. As I will be travelling from Stafford, I do not want to turn up at 7.50 and be told I have lost my seat, nor do I want to sit patiently for almost 2 hours waiting for the show to start.
So my query to people who have been to the show before is simply what time do you arrive?
I always feel a bit like a country bumpkin when going to "that London" - as you may be able to tell.
Many thanks in advance for helpful advice

Quote: Watch Maker @ 7th February 2018, 4:46 PM

Guidance from the wise please.

I have got tickets for the Newsjack show on 28 February. I note on the ticket that it says they issue more tickets than there are places and it is first come first served. The show starts at 8pm but admission is from 6.15. As I will be travelling from Stafford, I do not want to turn up at 7.50 and be told I have lost my seat, nor do I want to sit patiently for almost 2 hours waiting for the show to start.
So my query to people who have been to the show before is simply what time do you arrive?
I always feel a bit like a country bumpkin when going to "that London" - as you may be able to tell.
Many thanks in advance for helpful advice

Hello
A lot of the audience come early and there's usually a long queue. This is also because of new and much more stringent security checks (make sure you've got photo ID with you). But the lovely audience crew generally start checking you in a good while before the show - meaning that you can have your ticket scanned outside, get a numbered sticker, and then you can choose to go in and wait in the BBC cafe (very reasonable prices and a small gift shop), or you can wander off to the shops and come back later.
Also bear in mind that if you are taking a friend then you cannot get their sticker for them - they'll get a number when they arrive in person.
Have fun! (We've been lots of times and it's always a brilliant night - in fact, the very first time I went was also my very first credit - I was in the front row and Romesh did my oneliner - I was so shocked I almost forgot to laugh).

On that note - anyone going tonight?

(Noticing the time...this won't get a response for a while if anyone is there)

Quote: Bonzo @ 7th February 2018, 7:46 PM

Hello
A lot of the audience come early and there's usually a long queue. This is also because of new and much more stringent security checks (make sure you've got photo ID with you). But the lovely audience crew generally start checking you in a good while before the show - meaning that you can have your ticket scanned outside, get a numbered sticker, and then you can choose to go in and wait in the BBC cafe (very reasonable prices and a small gift shop), or you can wander off to the shops and come back later.
Also bear in mind that if you are taking a friend then you cannot get their sticker for them - they'll get a number when they arrive in person.
Have fun! (We've been lots of times and it's always a brilliant night - in fact, the very first time I went was also my very first credit - I was in the front row and Romesh did my oneliner - I was so shocked I almost forgot to laugh).

You are a star,so helpful :)

Maybe nobody went. Or maybe they are all tucked up in bed. As I should be.

Now for the long Thursday wait. It's usually around 6.30pm that's the latest you might get the email, right?

I believe so. Earliest is about 5pm? Is that right?

Speaking as someone who has only had two one-liners on, I don't think luck is that crucial a factor. It plays a part, yes. But if your jokes and sketches are good enough, you will generally get on.
Looking back at my own rejected stuff - and other people's posted on here - it's usually clear why they didn't make it.
Oddly, both times I got stuff on, it was on season openers. Apparently, the odds don't favour this happening.
Good luck everyone!

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th February 2018, 8:50 AM

Speaking as someone who has only had two one-liners on, I don't think luck is that crucial a factor. It plays a part, yes. But if your jokes and sketches are good enough, you will generally get on.
Looking back at my own rejected stuff - and other people's posted on here - it's usually clear why they didn't make it.
Oddly, both times I got stuff on, it was on season openers. Apparently, the odds don't favour this happening.
Good luck everyone!

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they pluck the one liners out of a hat. Of course they have to be good. But as they say: The harder you work the luckier you get