Frasier Page 7

If you would like to read the original script for the pilot show it's here.

http://www.kacl780.net/frasier/transcripts/season_1/episode_1/the_good_son.html

That's how you write a good pilot.

Check out the early episodes "Dinner at eight" and "Give him the chair" where Martin gives it to the boys with both barrels about their snobby self-absorbed ways, telling them that their mother would be ashamed of them and about how much he loved her. Now thats great acting. RIP John Mahoney.

Gutted about this. I think Fraiser writer Joe Keenan said it best on Twitter "You never caught him acting", no higher compliment than that. Marty is the heart of the show, more so that Niles, Daphne, or Fraiser himself. What a legacy to leave behind, because Fraiser will be remembered as one of the all time great sitcoms forever (I hope!)

I forget how to embed clips, but if I could I'd have found the bit where he imitates Daphne to her face, just priceless (and given a new meaning since I found out he is actually from Blackpool!)

As if by magic -

Laughing out loud

STOP PRESS - BCG EXCLUSIVE Laughing out loud

Kelsey Grammer on the One Show tonight said that after many, many rumours over the years and after much pitching, a team is being put together and a new updated series of Frasier is definitely in the pipeline.

Good. :D

As strange as it may seem, I have never watched a single episode of "Frasier" even though I was a huge fan of "Cheers".

I have seen the odd snippet (just a few seconds) here and there but, for some reason, I've never fancied it.

Given that it ran for 11 seasons and 264 episodes and has millions of fans all over the world, I really think I should give it a serious look.

You should. Frasier's brother and complete snob Niles' pursuit of Daphne (English carer of Martin, Frasier's father) is worth watching alone, apart from all the other superb characters.

There are so many very, very good episodes, and the one of those I like is (from memory) when Frasier and Niles decided to open an up-market restaurant. Effin' hilarious scene involving the three of them deciding how to deal with a live fish that a customer has ordered for his meal.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 6th April 2019, 9:57 AM

Given that it ran for 11 seasons and 264 episodes and has millions of fans all over the world, I really think I should give it a serious look.

I can't recommend it enough. It's one of those shows where just watching the characters interact is interesting enough, and that's without the beautiful plot work. Niles Crane is for my money one of the finest comic characters. Incidentally what do people make of Kelsey Grammar's recent assertion that there will be a new series?

He sounded very confident last night when he was asked, and presumably he would have OK'd the question before the show started...........................come to think of it, he may well have asked them to ask him the question. :D

I mean I love the show and would of course watch it. But the writing has to be really top notch to match what came before. And of course the magnificent John Mahoney is sadly no longer with us. Martin made Frasier and Niles bearable, he grounded them.

Hmmm, and there's the Niles/Daphne situation, which I don't want to expand on and spoil it for Rood if he intends to watch the series; but I'm sure you know what I mean - how he ...........nope, deleted all that even.

There are rumours that Frasier is coming back for a new series this year. Great news for what is one of the most successful US sitcoms of all time in terms of getting awards and justifiably so.

But I was having a look at it on Wiki for past ratings in the US and the highest position I found for a season was 3rd. Not sure if this is 3rd in terms of sitcom viewing or programme viewing generally. Whatever, the position was far lower for several of its seasons. And it got me wondering if that suggests it was much more popular in GB overall than in the US overall. Mere speculation but I would be interested to hear others' thoughts on that ;point.

Also, I've noted that Cheers started when I was 18/19 and finished when I was around 30 and then Frasier began when I was around 30 and ended when I was 41. That's a massive, almost mindboggling, chunk of time - and life - for just two shows which set such a high standard and they were each knocking out enough episodes per season that you could almost have one every week for every half year of those 22 plus years.

I think Frasier is a very British type of sit com, much like Hancock.Where they fail at whatever they attempt.The Americans usually only like winners.(IMO)

Quote: john tregorran @ 22nd February 2020, 8:00 PM

I think Frasier is a very British type of sit com, much like Hancock.Where they fail at whatever they attempt.The Americans usually only like winners.(IMO)

Yes, good point - I get that.