Dad's Army Page 23

Not only that they definitely said Private Sponge was a sheep farmer and I saw a goat on his farm.

I went to the 80th birthday party of a "Sexy Lady" this afternoon. Still very lively and active.

'Le Mez' was a truly wonderful gentleman; very genteel, witty and as others have mentioned, chilled out! For that I really admire him, applauding the way he felt violence and anger to be completely unnecessary.

When he had to drastically cut down his alchohol use (might even have gone teetotal), his favourite way to relax was to go to Ronnie Scott's jazz club and smoke blunts. I was surprised when I found this out, however it makes sense as to why he was laid back

Excuse my ignorance. Blunts?

Cannabis cigars basically. All herb joints that are bigger than regular sized ones. I didn't expect a gent such as John to partake in such use, however it sure sounds nice; live jazz and toking weed in perhaps the most reputable jazz club in early 70s London! Smarmy

And here I am, still watching the ongoing repeats on a Saturday night, despite having the complete box set which I waded through 10 years ago, AND am STILL enjoying them even after what? Watching each three or four times at least over the years.

If fact, I think I get more out of them each time of viewing as they are just so perfect. For me another classic like Hancock and The Goons in that I don't think I will ever tire of watching them.

Where perfect scripts come together with actors who are absolutely perfect in their parts, even the bit part players. Wonderful.

It doesn't matter how many times you've seen an episode, the show is such perfection there is always plenty to laugh at. You may remember the jokes, but you're unlikely to remember those fantastic visuals like Arthur Lowe's facial expressions in quite such detail.

What!? How do you have 'supporter' under your avatar. The friggin thing hasn't even launched yet has it? And as far as I'm told you're past deadline too. I'm waiting around ready and willing to give you money for more content. Get on it! (after Mark's holiday, I guess).

And to be on topic....I need to actually watch this show. You all make it out to be so wonderful. Dare I trust your taste? I think I'll give it a shot.

Quote: Davida @ 11th February 2018, 5:41 AM

And to be on topic....I need to actually watch this show. You all make it out to be so wonderful. Dare I trust your taste? I think I'll give it a shot.

I hope you like it but I can't help thinking it may be too English for you. Quintessential? Quaint?

(OK, before anyone gets too excited - yes I know there are Scots and Welsh in there but you know what I mean)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th February 2018, 11:16 AM

you know what I mean

Yeah - British. ;)

I'm not a fan of this to be honest. It's hugely popular, and the cast are great, but I have watched Dad's Army before and I really can't get into it. This is also the same with 'Allo 'Allo! and It Ain't Half Hot Mum. For me David Croft's work I enjoyed the most was Are You Being Served?.

Quote: Aaron @ 11th February 2018, 11:22 AM

Yeah - British. ;)

Shall I say something or let it go. As Vic used to say, "You wouldn't let it lie"......................

OK yes, but I'll say again, English. If it had been set in a coastal Scottish or Welsh village it would have not been the same. As it was, it was set on the Sussex coast of course and you could not have got anything more English than that, and if bowler hatted George Mainwaring isn't the archetypal stubborn Englishman of that period, I don't what is. Cool

Quote: Davida @ 11th February 2018, 5:41 AM

I need to actually watch this show. You all make it out to be so wonderful. Dare I trust your taste? I think I'll give it a shot.

I think you can dare as we know what we're on about here with sitcoms. Except maybe wheel, he didn't like Rising Damp either.

Dad's Army is very hard not to like, I'd say of all our top sitcoms it's the most likeable and amenable. It has a wide mix of interesting characters, its humour is self deprecatory and inoffensive and it is indeed very British and nicely old fashioned, a facet of the show I'm enjoying more and more now.

Dad's Army just stays forever in that lovely old era of courteousness outside the hall but offset by the constant bickering of the recruits inside it and especially the bitchiness of the Captain towards his class superior Sergeant which is one of the cleverest turnarounds in sitcom. And it gets even better with age. EnglandScotland Not putting the dragon up because I wasn't a big fan of Taffy, Walker was irreplaceable which Croft & Perry soon decided themselves and was better not being replaced.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th February 2018, 10:47 PM

Not putting the dragon up because I wasn't a big fan of Taffy, Walker was irreplaceable which Croft & Perry soon decided themselves and was better not being replaced.

Had you put the dragon up, I'd have been more sold. I'm a known Welshophile. Are there any good Welsh characters in it?

That's not super important though. I'll give it a go. Can't just ignore such glowing reviews.