Most under-rated Carry On actor?

For me it has to be the shameless scene stealing Peter Butterworth. Always value for money in even the smallest of roles. Check out his cameo in Carry On Loving. 1 minute of comedy gold.

Loved him in Carry on Camping. :D

John Gielgud had a brief cameo in Carry On Cowboy - blink and you'll miss it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th February 2015, 8:39 PM GMT

Loved him in Carry on Camping. :D

Thanks for your comment. That'll be a pound-per word or per letter....whichever is the greater

Hands down Sid James. That dude can blow a scene up and away like nobody's business. I wouldn't have made it through Carry On Girls without his charm, which seemed to mellow out the sexual exploitation bit and make it less BennyHillish.

Quote: paulted @ 18th February 2015, 8:11 PM

For me it has to be the shameless scene stealing Peter Butterworth. Always value for money in even the smallest of roles. Check out his cameo in Carry On Loving. 1 minute of comedy gold.

Can't argue with that, when that excellent channel started running the whole lot over Xmas or whatever a couple of years back I was selecting the Butterworth ones to watch. I believe they tend to be the funniest ones too.

A couple more worth mentioning are Bresslaw, the films without him in seem to missing something and he was essential in Screaming and Up the Khyber. And late series newcomers like Kenneth Cope, Terry Scott and Jack Douglas all made me laugh. Though Williams and Dale for me still slug it out for top Carry Oner.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd February 2018, 6:49 AM

A couple more worth mentioning are Bresslaw, the films without him in seem to missing something and he was essential in Screaming and Up the Khyber.

"Fakir off !"

Laughing out loud

Laughing out loud
"We'll teach this fakir a lesson." Surprising they got away with that really. Classic.

Laughing out loud Where's the owner.........................

That's the other thing I love about post war UK films - the classic cars as here with the Mk2 Consul.

Chales Hawtrey for his "oh hello"s.

And Esma Cannon for her general twitchiness.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 2nd February 2018, 7:54 AM

Just watched it again for the third time - such a brilliant double joke.

Yes - Esme was always great but Angela Douglas and Jackie Piper were two who stood out!

(Sorry - this is a Carry On thread!)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 2nd February 2018, 7:54 AM

That's as good as Benny Hill for a visual gag.

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd February 2018, 5:34 PM

Angela Douglas and Jackie Piper were two who stood out!

Yes that's four good points you make there.

I've always thought Joan Sims was undervalued for her work on them. She was one of the very few members of the gang who didn't fall into a certain type of character or characteristics that you expected from most of the others from film to film, and she was always solid even when she didn't have the best material or the best of roles.