Detectorists - Series 3 Page 3

Oh good, ta. I'll iPlayer it later to tie all the loose ends up. After watching the Upstart Crow Christmas special I've decided to vote for Detectorists as the best 'sitcom' of the year.

It was the most enjoyable series of the year for me as well. Finally got me thinking non studio audience sitcoms can be a good thing again. This was the best since The Office IMO.

Just gave this a try for the first time with a series 3 marathon, and loved it.
Genuinely kind of want a metal detector now.

Quote: zooo @ 1st January 2018, 1:22 PM

Genuinely kind of want a metal detector now.

I don't want to stray off topic, but check out this metal detecting forum. People post some amazing finds, the best of which are displayed on the banner at the top of the page. Click on them and read the stories about how they were found. It's a great time waster.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-forum/

Quote: DaButt @ 1st January 2018, 1:52 PM

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-forum/

Great link, thanks!

Ooh, nice!

I watched all six episodes on New Year's Eve going into New Year's Day.

Excellent - and you can't say that about much these days.

Maybe I could figure out a quibble or two (missing Sophie in series 3; there), but I love all Detectorists series pretty much equally and although tv gold probably does not register on a metal detector it's still gold. Someone fill me in on Maggie's accent? Lance, Andy, Becky, Becky's mom: to my ear, fairly generic southeast England (welcome correction). Kate, Irish, of course. Sophie, Welsh. What is Maggie? Is her way of speaking intended to convey less sophistication or less education than the others'? (To me it does that.) Just wondering. Hope this is not massively controversial.

IIRC, Maggie's accent is quite London. Working class, common, uneducated. Commonly called Estuary English or Thames Estuary.

Thanks Aaron. Cruel I may be, but I've been walking around doing my sad but best imitation saying "I'm Maggie" to myself with that extra syllable, or the double vowel sound, or umlaut, I don't know what you call it, at the end.

The finale, that Niagara of gold, was foreshadowed an episode (I think) earlier when our boys hear a clink or two but don't follow it up. Gold is heavy and that nest was brimming so not surprising the twigs etc. finally gave way. But such a relief. That field will be a site of special interest for sure. Solar farm, bye bye.

gb901, I picked up the Witness reference, too. They made a meal of putting up the gazebo. I mean, aren't those frames aluminum? Unless they were filled with gold. Just think.

If you were Lance with money in the bank from his lottery win (£300k from series 1) would you offer to help Andy and Becky stretch a bit for their down payment? They say never lend a friend money which is probably good advice, but I was thinking 5k or 10k tops. That still wouldn't have gotten them the cottage. For reluctant bidders at first that auction was suddenly barreling ahead like Casey Jones's old number 99. Maggie and Mr. Pizza Hut's little plot to steal the hobbit's treasure (there's that word again) was entirely hopeless and an example of where, at moments in series 3, Crook let his writing style go to a broader style of comedy.

Did anyone else like that little squint/frown Rebecca Callard cooked up for Toni for the Xmas special and used here? Her conversation with Kate aboard "ship" is one of my favorite scenes. Also "step away from the crate, please," obviously.

I can understand Crook saying that's it but I can't quite reconcile myself or believe that this is the very last we'll see of the DMDC.

I'd call her accent typical Essex Girl which is more or less the same thing as common cockney, as Essex is where most of them end up. Terry's wife is roughly the same. Andy's miscast wife - can't just be me who thinks that - is well brought up home counties speaking, and her mum.
Andy and Lance sound much more South West than South East to me, especially Lance who has a proper west country twang.

At least three of the club members have broad northern accents which I found even odder, infact the first major thing I noticed about the show was the strange mix of accents for a little village in rural Essex which is really Suffolk. Artistic licence and all that but I did wonder what brought them all together there from their various places of origin. Just 30 years ago this mix of regional accents would have sounded wrong enough for those actors not to be cast because it didn't happen in real life. But it seems to be getting almost normal now, with social mobility and all that although I still think this mix was a bit too out of place. Had to do a fair bit of suspending disbelief for this otherwise excellent (modern style) sitcom.

Quote: paulbkln @ 28th January 2018, 3:27 PM

Thanks Aaron. Cruel I may be, but I've been walking around doing my sad but best imitation saying "I'm Maggie" to myself with that extra syllable, or the double vowel sound, or umlaut, I don't know what you call it, at the end.

The finale, that Niagara of gold, was foreshadowed an episode (I think) earlier when our boys hear a clink or two but don't follow it up. Gold is heavy and that nest was brimming so not surprising the twigs etc. finally gave way. But such a relief. That field will be a site of special interest for sure. Solar farm, bye bye.

gb901, I picked up the Witness reference, too. They made a meal of putting up the gazebo. I mean, aren't those frames aluminum? Unless they were filled with gold. Just think.

If you were Lance with money in the bank from his lottery win (£300k from series 1) would you offer to help Andy and Becky stretch a bit for their down payment? They say never lend a friend money which is probably good advice, but I was thinking 5k or 10k tops. That still wouldn't have gotten them the cottage. For reluctant bidders at first that auction was suddenly barreling ahead like Casey Jones's old number 99. Maggie and Mr. Pizza Hut's little plot to steal the hobbit's treasure (there's that word again) was entirely hopeless and an example of where, at moments in series 3, Crook let his writing style go to a broader style of comedy.

Did anyone else like that little squint/frown Rebecca Callard cooked up for Toni for the Xmas special and used here? Her conversation with Kate aboard "ship" is one of my favorite scenes. Also "step away from the crate, please," obviously.

I can understand Crook saying that's it but I can't quite reconcile myself or believe that this is the very last we'll see of the DMDC.

Paying £55k for literally a hovel, andy and becky are going to have to spend that much again and more to make it habitable!

Read on here there could be a fourth series. I'm not sure he'd have said that without having plenty of ideas for it knocking around. Now he's suggested it, there'll probably be a huge clamour for it so I look forward to a further instalment at some point. The show's been cited as the cause for a huge uptake of the hobby.

There've been so many treasure finds by detectorists lately, it's led to a new law being passed. Hopefully that'll be worked into the new series. Each of the three series so far has had a slightly different focus on it. I'd like it to get back to the club and their rivals Simon & Garfunkel, where most of the comedy was, but any new way he takes it will be welcomed by most, I think.

It returns for a 75 minute special on Boxing day 9pm BBC 2

Is it ever explained who is burying the gold at the end of the first episode of series 3 and why? Just seems so random burying such wealth in the middle of a field!

Buy Lance's car! https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/fyi/228/detectorists-car-triumph-tr7-auction/