Rising Damp Page 14

Quote: PW 69 @ 1st January 2018, 1:03 AM

Rising Damp is absolutely brilliant and as the series went on, the studio audience had to be increased in the Yorkshire TV studio, because it was that popular for people wanting audience tickets.
Do most people actually realise that the show was supposed to be set in a students boarding house based in the Headingley / Burley area of Leeds ?

No they don't at least the people on here don't as there's been mentionings of Nottingham, Mansfield, general midlands area but not Yorkshire I don't think. Leeds makes more sense for the university connection as it's a well known uni and maybe because of the number of Yorkshire sounding guest characters they had in the show, thinking back.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd January 2018, 4:59 AM

No they don't at least the people on here don't as there's been mentionings of Nottingham, Mansfield, general midlands area but not Yorkshire I don't think. Leeds makes more sense for the university connection as it's a well known uni and maybe because of the number of Yorkshire sounding guest characters they had in the show, thinking back.

Leeds was only ever mentioned when Alan said about Rigsby getting angry, when Leeds lost to Bayern Munich in the European Cup and the M62 was also mentioned by Alan in one episode.
The Yorkshire TV studios, were and still are on the edge of the student area in Leeds, so they obviously based the show on that area.

Quote: Wheel @ 30th December 2017, 12:23 PM

I watched the first 2 series of it and I don't like it. I can't really get into it. I feel like it drags on for too long. He plays the character well, but I really don't like it.

You're in a minority

Quote: PW 69 @ 1st January 2018, 1:03 AM

Do most people actually realise that the show was supposed to be set in a students boarding house based in the Headingley / Burley area of Leeds ?

Does this have any relevance?

Does anybody really care?

Yes. It is certainly a point of interest.

I have never gave the location much thought ? But given it started life as a stage play called the Banana Box and was converted into a sitcom by Yorkshire TV then they have every right to claim it. Rossiters scouse accent made it feel northern as well given that Philip, Alan and MZ Jones had no accents to speak of.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 24th February 2019, 9:54 PM

I have never gave the location much thought ? But given it started life as a stage play called the Banana Box and was converted into a sitcom by Yorkshire TV then they have every right to claim it. Rossiters scouse accent made it feel northern as well given that Philip, Alan and MZ Jones had no accents to speak of.

Scouse accent? When?

Quote: Chappers @ 24th February 2019, 11:30 PM

Scouse accent? When?

That's just what I was thinking. :S

Quote: Chappers @ 24th February 2019, 11:30 PM

Scouse accent? When?

Leonard Rossiter was born a working-class Scouser and had a Scouse accent until his mid-20s when he decided to lose it in order to improve his chances in the professional acting career he was seeking.

I'm not sure what accent he was aiming for in his portrayal of Rigsby but it was certainly closer to Liverpool than it was to London or Glasgow! Laughing out loud

Alan had a noticeable Brummie or Black Country accent I'd say. Certainly not no accent.
Yes Rigsby had a softish Scouse lilt that was hard to pin down. He also talked quite fast as they do in Glasgow and Belfast. Phillip had a very posh accent which Rigsby found fascinating because of his colour and would talk slowly with good diction. Miss Jones' is off the wall, exaggerated dramatic feminine up and down. Rising Damp's got interesting voices I've always thought, it would make a great radio sitcom.

Every episode Chappers in word mannerism scepticism and eye roll, it was for quintessential Scouse.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 25th February 2019, 6:35 AM

Every episode Chappers in word mannerism scepticism and eye roll, it was for quintessential Scouse.

Never gave it any thought, but now I think about it, he sounds "somewhere" around the Peak District.

And those traits could apply to any number of areas in the UK.

Hercule I can only speak from personal experience abut the mannerisms , its the small nuances for me that make it scouse. The writer wasn't scouse I think that Leonard Rossiter brought that to the table and got the nod off the writer .

I always thought Rigsby modeled himself on the Duke of Edinburgh.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 25th February 2019, 10:05 AM

Hercule I can only speak from personal experience abut the mannerisms , its the small nuances for me that make it scouse. The writer wasn't scouse I think that Leonard Rossiter brought that to the table and got the nod off the writer .

What I do know about Leonard Rossiter is he died in a momentous year for me and death! 1984 of all Orwellian years.

My Father died that year, along with my 19 year old pure white cat (I sat with him till he squeaked his last Teary), Tommy Cooper, Eric Morecambe, Richard Burton, Diana Dors, Jack Howarth (Albert Tatlock)....................... and many American celebs.

Oh, and in the dying embers of that fateful year - the ½p coin.