Rising Damp Page 13

One of my favourites of all time.

I agree. It's sad to think that it wouldn't be allowed now if it was written now, there would be a massive uproar.

I don't think my generation would understand that the show isn't racist but it's trying to show how ignorant and bigoted Rigsby is and that's where the humour lies.

Yeah! It's like people used to call Till Death Us Do Part racist. The whole point is it's not only non-racist but actively anti-racist: you laugh cos he's a dick. I'm amazed how many people missed that cos if you do miss it, none of the comedy makes sense - it's just boring and offensive.

Samantha is the spitting image of her dad and with that haircut in Rising Damp Richard Beckinsale would have looked alright with eye shadow and some lippy. Not sure what Rigsby would have made of it though.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 23rd August 2017, 5:47 PM

Yeah! It's like people used to call Till Death Us Do Part racist. The whole point is it's not only non-racist but actively anti-racist: you laugh cos he's a dick. I'm amazed how many people missed that cos if you do miss it, none of the comedy makes sense - it's just boring and offensive.

Sleepy

Seeing the amount of praise, this show has got, I'm quite looking forward to watch the show for the first time ever on DVD. I haven't seen Reginald Perrin, so I don't know what to expect from Rossiter.

You're in for SUCH a treat, Wheel!

Reginald Perrin was great for the first series but it went on too long. How many times can one person fall and rise? With Grot it lost that contact with reality that made the character so appealing.
Leonard Rossiter is always 100%. Even shades of Rik Mayall in there.

I watched the first 2 series of it and I don't like it. I can't really get into it. I feel like it drags on for too long. He plays the character well, but I really don't like it.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 30th December 2017, 10:34 AM

Reginald Perrin was great for the first series but it went on too long. How many times can one person fall and rise? .

It depends on how many photos of Mel C one person has!

I never really got into Rising Damp although I loved TRAFORP.

I adore Rising Damp, but you have to suspend disbelief at the way they walk in and out of one another's rooms without knocking!

Love Rising Damp, I could just watch Leonard Rossiter's facial expressions forever.

Rising Damp is absolutely brilliant and as the series went on, the studio audience had to be increased in the Yorkshire TV studio, because it was that popular for people wanting audience tickets.
Do most people actually realise that the show was supposed to be set in a students boarding house based in the Headingley / Burley area of Leeds ?

This has always been one of my top three sitcoms (the others being Fawlty Towers and Father Ted). Just watched a couple of episodes this evening on ITV3 and the sheer class and quality never ceases to amaze.

One thing I've always wondered about, and hopefully someone has the answer. You can see the actors on many occasions on the point of losing it and bursting into laughter, but not actually doing so. Is this the hallmark of extremely disciplined comedy actors, or did multiple takes of some scenes have to take place?

Corpsing? In Rising Damp?

Leonard wouldn't have stood for it!

I hear he was very strict about everything being done professionally etc

Quote: ega95jch @ 22nd January 2018, 6:51 PM

This has always been one of my top three sitcoms (the others being Fawlty Towers and Father Ted). Just watched a couple of episodes this evening on ITV3 and the sheer class and quality never ceases to amaze.

One thing I've always wondered about, and hopefully someone has the answer. You can see the actors on many occasions on the point of losing it and bursting into laughter, but not actually doing so. Is this the hallmark of extremely disciplined comedy actors, or did multiple takes of some scenes have to take place?

I often thought Miss Jones was on the verge of cracking up in front of Rigsby. Must have been hard not to when he was in one of his trademark verbal flurries.