BBC sitcom Whites is cancelled Page 3

I know this thread is uber old at this point but I just discovered this gem. Is there any hopes for a TV movie or mini series to give us closure? I know from just reading the threads not a lot of people liked the show. And the more I read about it the more it seems to be like BBC's version of Frank's Place, which was CBS' casualty back in the 1980s. Slightly different storyline, but about a restaurant type environment with the kitchen folk and everybody in between. No laugh track - you loved it or you hated it with no in between. That show was awesome - even won an Emmy, and CBS still sacked it. Anyhoo, I'd be interested in seeing what happens to Roland is all.

Huh, your thread bump made me look at the OP and see this thread was 2011... Jesus I didn't realise Whites was on as far back as 2010. I know once you go past your mid-20s time feels like it moves a hell of a lot faster, but that's quite a surprise.

I thought it was decent myself, IMO it was deserving of a second go at least!

It was a fairly rare case at the time of the Beeb having the balls to cancel contracts with big names like Alan Davies because the product wasn't good enough. They used to let so so sitcoms get a 2nd chance before they cancelled them especially if they had a big name in the cast but in the last ten years or so they've been much more ruthless, axing this, Big Top, The Persuasionists, Lab Rats, We Are Klang, The Wright Way, Heading Out, The Royal Bodyguard and possibly others I haven't seen or heard of after one series.

It's made many big names nervous about starring in or creating a new sitcom for the Beeb but the good news for them is that ITV have started giving poor sitcoms at least a second series like Bad Move, Vicious etc. I suppose they have the money that the BBC no longer has to take a punt on dodgy shows.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th January 2018, 6:43 PM

It was a fairly rare case at the time of the Beeb having the balls to cancel contracts with big names like Alan Davies because the product wasn't good enough. They used to let so so sitcoms get a 2nd chance before they cancelled them especially if they had a big name in the cast but in the last ten years or so they've been much more ruthless, axing this, Big Top, The Persuasionists, Lab Rats, We Are Klang, The Wright Way, Heading Out, The Royal Bodyguard and possibly others I haven't seen or heard of after one series.

It's made many big names nervous about starring in or creating a new sitcom for the Beeb but the good news for them is that ITV have started giving poor sitcoms at least a second series like Bad Move, Vicious etc. I suppose they have the money that the BBC no longer has to take a punt on dodgy shows.

I didn't know BBC wasn't taking chances like that anymore. I thought they were like the Motown of television, working with the product until they got the gold they wanted. Sad the big named actors are being pushed back exclusively to film again; who can afford a one season tv flop these days or even worse, an American adaptation of it.

Is there not something like Netflix that side of the water that can subsidize indie stuff with the actors?

OK I know this is thread bumping, but I finally got around to watching this - it's great! The pilot alone sets up characters and gets lots of laughs, brilliant cast. Why on earth was it axed?

Low viewing figures, probably!

Plus not funny. Plus Alan Davies' hair.