Easter Eggs in Early Doors (Relating to Royle Family)

Perhaps this has been discussed over the years and perhaps it is obvious, but there are a fair few hints in ED that relate to Royle Family universe.

The Grapes - I reckon this is Jim and Dave's local but obviously refered to as The Feathers.

Dave's mate 'Duckers' is Duffy in ED

Tommy is the old man (Ted) who sits alone is referenced by Jim a few times.

Beverley Macca who we never see, is possibly the bird who shags Joe in the toilets during the night he is DJ'ing at the pub. And evidently had huge tits and isn't exactly shy.

Dave in RF is Joe in ED - they both do dj'ing

Ken is Jim in terms of humour and sarcasm

Jean is possibly a friend of Nana's (Elsie) although much younger than Elsie is referenced in RF who eventually dies, but Nana always slagged her off for being nosey and bitchy. Which is what Jean is all about.

Ken's one liner repeated from RF of 'if It's the invisible man, tell him I can't see him'

I'm possibly missing a few more there.

They say 'write what you know about' and I think Craig Cash knows all these characters in real life.
The similarities are bound to bleed across two separate productions.

The invisible man gag is one of the oldest 'dad' jokes but whether he meant it as a nod to RF, I don't know.
I'd like to bet Craig actually did some DJ'ing (I don't actually know) in his time, so it's natural that he would include it in both scripts.

In me yoof' I used to go to a pub like The Grapes and the banter (often cruel) was always flying.
The landlord is still remembered 40 years later for his 'put downs'
I wrote down many of the great lines said at that time with the thought of including them in a script one day.

It's my opinion that it is Mr Cash's style of writing that gives the similarities between the shows.
If he wrote a comedy series about man populating Mars, there would be a Jim, Denise and Kenny (and a DJ :) )

One of the blokes from Early Doors occasionally pops up on our local radio station (radio Manchester)

Recently been dropping very big hints Early Doors is soon to make some sort of a comeback

Not sure if it's a new series or a live show but something is definitely in the pipeline...

Quote: lofthouse @ 5th January 2018, 9:23 PM

One of the blokes from Early Doors occasionally pops up on our local radio station (radio Manchester)

Recently been dropping very big hints Early Doors is soon to make some sort of a comeback

Not sure if it's a new series or a live show but something is definitely in the pipeline...

https://www.comedy.co.uk/live/news/2860/early_doors_live/

Winnie the pub cleaner often talks about her son, Darren. I wonder if this is supposed to be the same Darren who is Anthony's friend from The Royle Family.