Darts

I know it's a marmite thing with darts but I am a great fan.
I'm not alone in that - Stephen Fry always tweets about it.

He said something like 'looking forward to the darts final - I'm as happy as a pig in Chardonnay'
Even he says there seems to be some sort of shame admitting you like darts

I've been a few times and seen all the top players and it's a great night out.
Went to The Winter Gardens in Blackpool this year to watch the World matchplay.
It's a mistake to go in around lunchtime though as you are drinking all day and night.
I was kicked out of my hotel bed the next day at 11:00am by the cleaners.

Do we have any closet dart fans on board?

Yes. I used to run the local pub team (The Wild Man) in the 70s and Keith Deller used to be my parent's next door neighbour. His Mother was a county player and I think that's where he got his talent from, and remember my Father having to complain and ask them to move their dartboard as it was thump, thump, thump for hours on end through the terraced house wall.

No animosity though as they moved the board to the other side of the house and apologised.

Yes I love Darts. I love playing it and watching it. I've been to Blackpool in 2014 and watched the World Matchplay. It was an evening session and I loved it. The crowd and atmosphere was just brilliant. I'd love to again at some point. Maybe the next world championships? Shame Taylor's retired, as it won't be the same without him though. 2017 was a fantastic year of darts, a lot of young talent coming through now and that is incredible to see. 2017, wasn't MVG Dominated like 2016 were. My favourite players are MVG, Lewis, Gurney and Peter Wright.

I'm liking a few of the new boys.
I have to like Cross (the current and surprising new world champion)

He was a sparky a year ago entering qualifier rounds.... all the way to the supreme title. (beating MGV and Taylor)

Good, but I think Showaddywaddy just inches it.

I like the Darts world championships which bridge the gap between Christmas and new year and is the perfect excuse to avoid a dry January pledge.

I've never been but my brother has gone a few times to Alexandra Palace and once met Prince Harry in the bar. He asked for a selfie which Harry said he couldn't do but agreed to a handshake which his bodyguards closely supervised by standing between them.

Darts also makes me think of Bullseye and the Smith & Jones sketch :D I miss the days of when booze and fags were allowed in professional sport. If anything it makes it harder so why not.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 4th January 2018, 9:42 PM

I like the Darts world championships which bridge the gap between Christmas and new year and is the perfect excuse to avoid a dry January pledge.

I've never been but my brother has gone a few times to Alexandra Palace and once met Prince Harry in the bar. He asked for a selfie which Harry said he couldn't do but agreed to a handshake which his bodyguards closely supervised by standing between them.

Darts also makes me think of Bullseye and the Smith & Jones sketch :D I miss the days of when booze and fags were allowed in professional sport. If anything it makes it harder so why not.

I think one of the reasons, why booze and fags were stopped on stage was because of Jocky Wilson. In one match, he was so drunk, he fell off the stage.

Quote: Wheel @ 4th January 2018, 11:01 PM

I think one of the reasons, why booze and fags were stopped on stage was because of Jocky Wilson. In one match, he was so drunk, he fell off the stage.

Well in the two documentaries I have watched on darts it was the (very funny) Smith & Jones sketch that brought it home to people such as the BDO that it wasn't a good image say compared to snooker on television.

I often wondered why Phil 'The Power' Taylor was allowed to continue playing darts after being convicted of sexual assault on two girls.
The case was a grubby affair. He lured 2 drunk girls (21 & 23) into his mobile home on the pretence of giving them a lift home after the match. He fondled them and tried to get one of thems jeans off. (bordering on attempted rape)
He was found guilty of sexual assault but only fined.

Why was he not banned from darts or put on the sex register?

A little revealing after match interview below tells a story.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th January 2018, 8:48 AM

I often wondered why Phil 'The Power' Taylor was allowed to continue playing darts after being convicted of sexual assault on two girls.
The case was a grubby affair. He lured 2 drunk girls (21 & 23) into his mobile home on the pretence of giving them a lift home after the match. He fondled them and tried to get one of thems jeans off. (bordering on attempted rape)
He was found guilty of sexual assault but only fined.

Why was he not banned from darts or put on the sex register?

A little revealing after match interview below tells a story.

Does anyone think because it was Phil Taylor, he didn't get banned for it? If it was a lowly ranked player, then they probably would have been banned.