Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em Page 12

I've often thought a Some Mothers prequel would be interesting - Frank as a youngster growing up with his equally accident-prone mother. From his birth in a cinema during a John Wayne film and being disqualified from a baby show for breaking the pram to starting school at the age of 10.

Quote: John M @ 20th December 2017, 4:13 AM

I've often thought a Some Mothers prequel would be interesting - Frank as a youngster growing up with his equally accident-prone mother. From his birth in a cinema during a John Wayne film and being disqualified from a baby show for breaking the pram to starting school at the age of 10.

Those are just such fabulous little details. Laughing out loud Time to rewatch the series I think!

A lot of love for Some Mothers, stunts are still incredible! Incidentally is anyone going to brave trying to sit through Joe Pasquale having a crack at Frank Spencer in this live tour they're doing?

Michael Crawford's a "one-off" and such a talented man and if you notice, he nearly always wears gloves in all of his stunts, to protect his hands. There must have been at least two well-worked stunts in every episode and stunt man was rarely ever used.
Not many people would want to do so many dangerous stunts or be allowed to do them in the modern day 21st century nanny state.

The Christmas special shown this week from the 1970s was preceded by a warning that some people might find it offensive!

How ridiculous! I noticed one line that might possibly offend. A child called Frank a big poof!

I'm sure not even gay people found this offensive!

Quote: PW 69 @ 1st January 2018, 1:39 PM

Not many people would want to do so many dangerous stunts or be allowed to do them in the modern day 21st century nanny state.

Yes it's crazy that people are no longer allowed to risk potentially killing themselves for a half hour comedy show

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd December 2020, 6:11 PM

The Christmas special shown this week from the 1970s was preceded by a warning that some people might find it offensive!

How ridiculous! I noticed one line that might possibly offend. A child called Frank a big poof!

I'm sure not even gay people found this offensive!

Which Xmas Special was it? I'm guessing the Nativity Play one? Probably the best and best known of them. Should be on Xmas Eve or Day because nothing made today will match it.

It wasn't that one I don't think. It was one where they tried to film him for a TV show and also he was learning to drive.

He is working as a pixie in Santa's grotto and the kids are running amok

One of them calls him a 'poof'

Just started watching the box set I bought many years ago (really don't know why I left it so long) and had forgotten just how funny it was - in the third episode when he keeps interrupting the man across the street from him, was hysterical and how the two of them kept a straight face, I'll never know

I'm reading Elizabeth Sladen's autobiography and she writes about having quite a negative experience on Some Mothers. Not Michael Crawford, who apparently was a gent but extremely nervous, more so the director, who gave Crawford so much time to work out his comedy business all other actors were left by the wayside.

She was only in one tiny scene??

Greengrocers shop as I recall

Quote: lofthouse @ 30th July 2022, 3:20 PM

She was only in one tiny scene??

Greengrocers shop as I recall

Ha! Just watched that - it's the one where Betty is in hospital, and Frank has about a 65p budget to buy her some fruit. Very funny once he's caused such chaos in the ward.

Quote: marac @ 21st March 2016, 5:31 PM

:) I was worried the new short sketch was going to be a total failure so I was surprised how good it was. . 100% effort was put in by Crawford.

As he does in everything I've seen and heard him in. I doubt he could even be an extra without putting his heart and soul into it. I'm just slightly annoyed and amazed he hasn't been knighted for his efforts. Arise Sir Frank..."Ooh that sword's sharp, Betty."

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 29th July 2022, 1:47 PM

more so the director, who gave Crawford so much time to work out his comedy business all other actors were left by the wayside.

But that was the main event, and giving way to the leads is a big part of an actor's life. I'd say the budget was a consideration also, where time is very much money on recordings, and with so much of it having to go on and around the most daring stunts ever committed in British sitcom, most else in the show would have to look after itself, I'd have thought.

My brother in law has worked with him and confirms what everyone says - he's a lovely man and a delight to work with.