The Weather Page 183

*peeks in, wanders straight out again*

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th December 2017, 8:14 AM

Are we really turning into America with their litigious culture where a child might fall on ice and sue the school for not clearing it?

Fear of litigation isn't the reason for school closures in the United States. Such closures are rare in the northern part of the country where snow and ice are frequent occurrences in the wintertime, because they have the proper equipment to clear streets. Most kids are driven to school in buses or private vehicles, and when an unusual blast of snow or ice hits the deep south roads become treacherous because there aren't any/enough plows to clear them. Teachers and students can't/won't make it to school on time because of dangerous traffic and road conditions, so the decision is made to cancel classes for the day. Nothing screams "logistical nightmare" more than the thought of having a school where 25% of the students and staff show up, only to sit in the cold and dark due to electrical outages caused by overloaded tree limbs. And then if the weather worsens and the streets become totally impassible, where do all those people go at the end of the day? It's easier to just punt and cancel classes.

My city of 2 million people had a rare (first instance since 1985) day of measurable (2 or 3 inches) snow last Thursday, but schools remained open. Many businesses allowed their employees to come in late (a company with 10,000 employees gave them all 3 hours of paid time off) because the roads were a snarled mess. There was a 15-car pileup on a major freeway overpass in the morning.

Quote: zooo @ 12th December 2017, 12:35 PM

*peeks in, wanders straight out again*

(Read in Mike Rooker's voice)

Oh Darlena, come back!

Kick off those damn high heels and join the conversation, baby sister.

Cool

This morning!

Angry

First one on the slide today gets the turbo version.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 18th December 2017, 8:16 AM

This morning!

Angry

That's what happens when you live in the mountains - did you not realise that when you moved there? Unimpressed

I envy your snow, usually during x-mas we are with the fan in our faces. :(

Quote: Kapow @ 18th December 2017, 10:18 AM

I envy your snow, usually during x-mas we are with the fan in our faces. :(

Let's swap then, I'm not made for these low temperatures. I can't wait til summer!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th December 2017, 9:49 AM

That's what happens when you live in the mountains - did you not realise that when you moved there? Unimpressed

Yes, but it's not always that bad.
Me in july doing a bit of garden work (for some strange reason I do look a bit like our Ben in this one!):

And here just hanging around and enjoying the lovely view!

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/0e/75/d1/0e75d16e69ceb492c80c1f4b10340245--hairy-chest-bruno.jpg

:OLaughing out loud

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 18th December 2017, 8:16 AM

This morning!

The snow is almost entirely gone again, after only one day.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 18th December 2017, 11:22 AM

And here just hanging around and enjoying the lovely view!

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/0e/75/d1/0e75d16e69ceb492c80c1f4b10340245--hairy-chest-bruno.jpg

Hello sailor. :$

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th December 2017, 9:04 AM

Hello sailor. :$

Arr, have you seen moi enormous mast? Hahaa, Jim lad!

Tell us it's a picture of a man with his cock out ffs.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 19th December 2017, 9:15 AM

Oooh Arrrr, Oi wouldn't wanna be in the barrel when it's 'is turn..... >_<

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 19th December 2017, 9:15 AM

I would love to see more of these pictures, for scientific purposes only.
Geek