Tracey Ullman's Show - Series 2

A drop of 760,000 viewers between episodes 1 and 2 doesn't bode well.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 19th February 2017, 4:52 PM

A drop of 760,000 viewers between episodes 1 and 2 doesn't bode well.

Hmmm, not a massive fan and only watch it because I'm usually quite tired at that point and can't be arsed to channel hop; but thought this series better than the first.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th February 2017, 11:46 PM

Hmmm, not a massive fan and only watch it because I'm usually quite tired at that point and can't be arsed to channel hop; but thought this series better than the first.

The make-up of the celebrities is brilliant. The material, not so.

I think the material's stronger than Series 1. The cast and performances are astounding.

Love her piss take of Rupert Murdoch with Jerry Hall.

Didn't see any of the first series but I was impressed with Episode 1 of the new one. I thought the writing and performances were excellent. Judi Dench was the stand out.

Finished on a reasonable high and thought her "Tracey Emin" piss take was not only brilliant but long overdue of that talentless nobody.

Yes - the Emin thing was very good.
She could do with a decent script editor, though.
Tends to go on a bit.

Don't particularly like this show. She was much funnier on Tracy Takes On and would have been nice at least to pull Adele Givens out and get her on the new show. The Benny Hill-esque format sans the laugh track just isn't working well. With HBO not supporting and promoting the show it doesn't stick out in my memory enough to remember to watch it (as that is the only channel showing it in the States).

Do you need a laugh track to tell you when to laugh?

Quote: Chappers @ 18th December 2017, 9:15 PM

I didn't have you down as a Grauniad journalist, Chappers!

Quote: Chappers @ 18th December 2017, 9:15 PM

No. But sometimes watching Benny Hill laughing at the people on the laugh track was funny in and of itself. And FYI she didn't have a laugh track on Tracey Takes On either. The only time I ever heard one of her shows have a laugh track was when she did The Tracey Ullman Show on Fox with damn near the entire cast of the Simpson back in the 1980s.

I was surprised.

This series had quite a few good moments.

I really liked her May and Merkel - and the way she did Sturgeon was especially engaging.

The best thing she's been in since the Allman Brothers Band.

Quote: ArticulateMadness @ 18th December 2017, 11:00 PM

No. But sometimes watching Benny Hill laughing at the people on the laugh track was funny in and of itself. And FYI she didn't have a laugh track on Tracey Takes On either. The only time I ever heard one of her shows have a laugh track was when she did The Tracey Ullman Show on Fox with damn near the entire cast of the Simpson back in the 1980s.

Well of course because it was made for Americans!

And her show introduced the Simpsons.

Quote: Chappers @ 20th December 2017, 12:09 AM

Well of course because it was made for Americans!

And her show introduced the Simpsons.

I can't say if it was made for Americans or not, since the humor didn't go over all that well as memory serves me correctly. Lasted one season at Fox. Ironic that the Simpsons, a blip cartoon on there, was the breakout and technically a spin off. All I remember from that cast is that I loved Julie Kavner, who was on Rhoda and was pretty much that character.

I much prefer the humor of Rita Webb and Helen Hayes (and to a lesser extent Diana Copeland) versus Tracey Ullman on a show.