The Rebel - Series 2 Page 4

Thanks for that, Will, I hadn't seen it. The first series got really good viewing figures, but this one was nowhere near as successful, no one knows why...

Quote: beaky @ 17th December 2017, 10:40 PM

The first series got really good viewing figures, but this one was nowhere near as successful, no one knows why...

Any chance of bringing it to something like Netflix? I've noticed a general upswell in interest in Detectorists since it became available to Americans via that service.

I'll mention it, although I'm sure that would have occurred to them! Thanks, DB.

Quote: beaky @ 17th December 2017, 11:54 PM

I'll mention it, although I'm sure that would have occurred to them! Thanks, DB.

Hmmm, I need to say something witty so that your reply will be your 2000th post, but I'm drawing a blank.

I've noticed a large increase in the number of British actors in American shows and vice-versa, so I think we're finally entering a time when great shows from the UK will be accepted/welcomed over here, when in the past it was more of a one-way street. I guess Mackenzie Crook has some recognition from the Pirates movies, but now we have James Corden hosting a nightly show, and almost everyone will recognize actors and actresses from shows like Game of Thrones. It's a good time to be an English actor or writer.

It'll be very disappointing if they don't give The Rebel a third series. It would do well from some regular repeats like the channel's classic programmes, too.

I'll add that I waded a bit outside of my usual haunts and finally managed to download the second series. It feels weird admitting it in front of the show's creator, but I hope beaky won't be too upset with me as it's the only way I can watch it and I really enjoyed the first series. I hope there's still some life in it because it's a very enjoyable show.

EDIT: Straight into Live at Leeds as soon as the first episode begins! The Who have been a lifelong love of mine and Pete Townshend is the closest I'll ever come to having an idol. Seeing them on their (sort of) home turf in Birmingham 10 years ago was a musical highlight of my life.

That's great, DB! Hope you enjoy it. Roger Daltry recorded a new version of My Generation for the first series, he's a friend of the Director's.

I've often wondered about the inclusion of popular music in British television shows. It seems commonplace to use songs by very popular artists, but we seldom hear hit songs in American shows. I assume it all comes down to money (Doesn't everything?) so there must be a difference in the fees charged on either side of the Atlantic.

Quote: DaButt @ 18th December 2017, 3:59 PM

I've often wondered about the inclusion of popular music in British television shows. It seems commonplace to use songs by very popular artists, but we seldom hear hit songs in American shows. I assume it all comes down to money (Doesn't everything?) so there must be a difference in the fees charged on either side of the Atlantic.

There have long been close licensing relationships between British TV and recording industries, particularly the BBC.

The songs used in Episode one of the recent series would probably cost six figures if used in a hit American show, and that's without any DVD release. Bands don't sell songs/albums the way they used to, so maybe it'll get easier as new bands look for exposure.

I'm not involved in the economic side, thank goodness! I've no idea how much anything costs, except it's always a lot...

Quote: beaky @ 18th December 2017, 5:08 PM

I'm not involved in the economic side, thank goodness! I've no idea how much anything costs, except it's always a lot...

That's because they're too concerned with "high production values" and making it as filmic as possible, rather than relying on, you know, a funny script.

Quote: beaky @ 17th December 2017, 10:40 PM

Thanks for that, Will, I hadn't seen it. The first series got really good viewing figures, but this one was nowhere near as successful, no one knows why...

It's because it was on at 10pm on a Wednesday night! It's on too late, it should be on at least 9pm in order to get some decent viewing figures. Does the viewing figures include all the on-demand viewings because I have to admit, I have never watched any of the episodes at 10pm, I've always watched them on catch-up.

I really hope that Gold do give it another chance. They should give the series a more prime time repeat.

Go and take a screenshot of Gold TV website Beaky. It shows in huge letters that The Rebel is the 3rd most searched programme, currently beating The Vicar of Dibley.

Wow! One up on the reverend!