I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,968

Quote: Kenneth @ 1st December 2017, 4:08 AM

No, you're thinking of Jim Robinson. Nabors was the guy who replaced Sid James in Carry On Up That Camel, causing some resentment as he received a higher paycheck than other leading cast members.

Nabors/Neighbours.

Sad to read about Toys R Us closing stores in the UK and the job losses it will cause but they don't seem to have been competing much in recent years. Apart from Christmas I hadly ever see adverts and have never seen an advert for their website which should be generating the most revenue. All their stores are on shopping estates which can make them difficult to buy from if you don't have a car so that must affect sales.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 4th December 2017, 9:07 PM

Toys R Us closing stores in the UK and the job losses

Just so my kids won't be too disappointed on Christmas day, I've told them that's where Santa pre-ordered his presents.

It didn't surprise me when Argos was sold and most of the stores relocated to inside Sainsbury's stores. There used to be an Argos 10 minutes walk away and I used it often but now the nearest store is a few miles away on a shopping estate.

Toys R Us should have started buying high street shops years ago as they became vacant from Woolworths and BHS to get more impulse shoppers and then gradually closing down the superstores that probably eat all the profits just to heat and light them. That's my John Harvey-Jones take on it :D I used to love visiting my Toys R Us superstore as a child and would always make a beeline to the musical instruments section to smell the plastic and rubber aroma of all the shiny new keyboards.

English cricket player Ben Duckett has been suspended from a tour of Australia because he allegedly poured a beer over Jimmy Anderson. There will be an investigation and a disciplinary hearing. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/09/england-ben-duckett-dropped-ashes-tour-game-after-perth-bar-incident

What? Pouring a beer over someone's head is the epitome of good fun. How absurd to boot a sportsman out of his team for such a triviality.

It's the path sportsmen have to tread now Kenneth. Very narrow and being holier than holy.

By definition sportsmen are young fit men at their peak with all their testosterone and whatnot set to 10
When the game is over, tea with the vicar in not on the agenda.

What? Pouring a beer over someone's head is the epitome of good fun. How absurd to boot a sportsman out of his team for such a triviality

Trouble is, it's not absurd anymore - it's the norm.

Quote: Lazzard @ 1st December 2017, 12:16 PM

Bit of a buggy link - 10 seconds in it re-directed to me to some fake raffle site.
Might be me - might be the link.
The first ten seconds were funny though !

It has now happened to me several times but not quite the same.

I am reading on here when every now and again an advertising noise starts.
I hear about 1 second of an ad then it goes off.
If my volume is high, it makes me jump.
And then about every 2 days with this being the only site open on my browser I am redirected to a site
with a microsoft fake woman's voice telling me congratulations, I have won something'
It also locks me into that site with the 'back' button not working.

I have to close the browser and come back.

I thought it might be malware but I have scanned everything with everything and it's all clean.
This has only ever happened on this site.
I think one of the advertisers is taking the piss.

There are some dodgy things on here because if I look at another site say ebay or a random sellers site
the item I have looked at (only looked - not purchased from) appears on the top of the page

I didn't want those butt plugs and don't need reminding that I looked at them

Dirty Boy!

The cross-linked info on adverts is probably due to Google Adverts, which I suspect our webmasters here use, to support this expensive website (which is free to us). I think eBay and Google are either both owned by the same people or have mutual contracts. So that google adverts are chosen to match what you searched for. You signed away the right for them to do that in the small print of the terms & conditions when you signed up for the various websites.

However the site you describe that reads out the page and disables the back-button, is, I suspect, malware, perhaps a genuine advert site has been hacked into. I found one such on facebook one time. If you know which link triggered it, report it to the web masters here.

I see Peter Kaye has cancelled his entire new tour.

Citing unforeseen family problems.... Hmmm

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th December 2017, 12:46 PM

Maybe he means his family is unforeseen when he goes on tour ? That terms normally equates to "my personal life is not a goldfish bowl". Still, just one of his gigs would feed 100 new stand up acts for a year. So hopefully this will help some up and coming acts. :)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th December 2017, 12:46 PM

I'll lay money that his Mother has died - has to be something pretty traumatic.

The once mighty submarine forces of the German navy have reached a new low: they don't have a single operational sub. Much of the rest of their military also appears to broken down and non-functional. Meanwhile, Russia's aggressive military buildup continues apace.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/germany-does-not-one-working-132800617.html

They've not really needed em for 70 years.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th December 2017, 9:30 PM

They've not really needed em for 70 years.

The Russians are upgrading and growing their submarine fleet and they are patrolling the North Sea and Baltic Sea at a pace not seen since the end of the Cold War. Germany needs their subs, and they need them now. They're also planning to increase the size of their fleet in order to counter Russia's advances.