The Fast Show Page 7

I loved her Janine sketches where she's telling the story of her becoming pregnant and her dad kicked her out.

He said "get out the house our Janine" and called me a slapper, slut, slag. All beginning with S. Funny that int it.

:D

Roy and Renee " I didn't say shit through the eye of a needle, Roy!" Classic

I wonder why Caroline Aherne was not part of the Fast Show Live shows?

I initially thought it was because she was in the middle of quite a long break-down in the late 1990's, but could be wrong. I know she was very unwell with cancer throughout her life too. But just wondered if there was any other reason.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th October 2017, 9:02 PM

I loved her Janine sketches where she's telling the story of her becoming pregnant and her dad kicked her out.

He said "get out the house our Janine" and called me a slapper, slut, slag. All beginning with S. Funny that int it.

:D

Simple but magic, wasn't it?

It just occurs to me that what separates the Fast Show from most other sketch shows, is the characters present themselves directly to you, the viewer for many of their acts. Whereas other sketches are just acted out as if it were a short section in a sitcom.

For example:
"You ain't seen me, right?"
"Hello, and welcome to Jazz Club"
Janine school girl talking crap
"Brilliant!"
"Does my bum look big in this"

etc etc

Not The Fast Show but Carolines 'stand up' was presented as talking to her friends over a cup of tea.
She snuck in incredibly well crafted jokes that were easy to miss - or give you the impression that only you got it.

eg: 'I went out with a car mechanic last week and a friend of mine, who is a nurse said 'make sure he cleans his hands properly after work - especially under his nails or you can get a womb infection'... it's true.

I'm watching the the Fast Show Christmas Special which I've had on a DVD given away by the Sun a few years ago.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th December 2017, 9:37 PM

I'm watching the the Fast Show Christmas Special which I've had on a DVD given away by the Sun a few years ago.

Is that the one with Bob Fleming's Folkin Folk Classics?

ARSE!

"All around my arse!"

And premonitions of the Royle Family with Caroline Aherne complaining about her Dad.

Does anybody still rewatch The Fast Show? I rewatched the farewell tour live DVD and was impressed by how much of it was still funny, especially as so much of it relies on the anticipation and recognition of catchphrases.

Paul Whitehouse's commitment when shouting ARSE during that song is such a simple gag but it always makes me laugh, as does Mark Williams with pretty much every character.

I watch it on youtube from time to time.I think the best bits are still funny.

It's great. I was watching it quite recently and despite its reputation it's a very rich, consistent and well-observed series.

So many good characters - 'Suit you', not verbatim but............

"The lady, will you be giving her one tonight sir?"

"Will it be the bridal/le or will you be holding her by the ears?"

"Ohhh, suit you"

And one that always sticks in my mind is Roy and Renee, talking about holidays abroad............

"Oh, and that foreign food, gave me such problems with me stomach - had tummy problems all night didn't I............what did I say Roy"

"You said you could shit through the eye of needle"

When and where is the Load of Catchphrases going to be on?

Quote: Chappers @ 30th August 2020, 8:26 PM

When and where is the Load of Catchphrases going to be on?

It was on last night, available on catch up.

I really enjoyed it. Lovely to see the characters again, they slip back into them effortessly

It's only on Gold though isn't it which I haven't got.

Quote: Chappers @ 30th August 2020, 11:05 PM

It's only on Gold though isn't it which I haven't got.

Ditto :( or Angry