The Royle Family - Spin-off?

I am surprised that Jim and Barb never got the spin-off they probably deserved.

Craig Cash and Phil Mealey could easily put together a mini-series.

Would it be as funny? Probably not. But it's got legs. Ricky T isn't getting any younger so once their Early Doors stage show is done, it would be nice to see this happen.

I miss Royle Family specials at Christmas. Became as well loved as OFAH when it came to a Christmas special.

I don't think it would disrespect Caroline Aherne personally, but that's my opinion.

Surely Jim and Barb are the Royle Family? There are other characters but they are the main ones.

Would they dare write the death of Denise.
It's been done before in comedies after a cast member has died.

Is this a real possibility or just your suggestion Tommy? They could always say that Denise had emigrated maybe but I'm not sure it would be the same quality. Caroline and Craig wrote it together so you don't really know what a Cash only script would be like.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 3rd December 2017, 10:29 PM

It's been done before in comedies after a cast member has died.

But Caroline Aherne is a little more than just a cast member.

I can't see this ever happening.

I tend to agree, it would be too hard to watch.
Her being totally unaware of her laziness was 50% of the comedy anyway.
I still choke every time they show the granddad episode on OFAH.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 4th December 2017, 7:40 AM

Her being totally unaware of her laziness was 50% of the comedy anyway.

From memory so not verbatim.....................

The three of them on the settee

Barbara "So what did yer 'ave for yers tea?"

Denise " I had roast chicken"

Barbara is suitably impressed if not disbelieving - Dave leans forward

Dave "And I had salt & vinegar Barbara"

Laughing out loud Brilliant! One of those sitcom lines that will stay with me forever.

The only time Dave ever rebelled against her laziness was when he revealed he still took his washing to his mothers.
Jim; But youve got a washing machine.
Dave: 350 notes it cost me and it's never had a thing in it.
Denise: I notice you never take MY washing to your mothers
Dave: You're supposed to do MY washing... youre bone bloody idle
Jim: Correct Dave

When Jim was fidgeting with his arse/trousers as he sat in his chair and Barbara (?) asks him what's the matter...........................

"These pants don't fit properly, they cost me £5.99 and I've a fiver's worth up me crack"

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th December 2017, 3:51 PM

When Jim was fidgeting with his arse/trousers as he sat in his chair and Barbara (?) asks him what's the matter...........................

"These pants don't fit properly, they cost me £5.99 and I've a fiver's worth up me crack"

50 pence worth but let's not be picky!

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd December 2017, 10:46 PM

Is this a real possibility or just your suggestion Tommy? They could always say that Denise had emigrated maybe but I'm not sure it would be the same quality. Caroline and Craig wrote it together so you don't really know what a Cash only script would be like.

Oh, not even speculation - just my wish, really.

To write Denise out as emigrating wouldn't be believable considering she is "bone, bloody idle".

I would keep her and Dave referenced now and again.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 3rd December 2017, 10:14 PM

Surely Jim and Barb are the Royle Family? There are other characters but they are the main ones.

I get what you mean, but if they would write an entirely different setting like the two of them on holiday or introduce some new characters etc, it could work.

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd December 2017, 10:46 PM

Phil Mealey wrote some episodes too and they worked on Early Doors also.

I watched the 'Queen of Sheeba' episode again last night on Gold (the one where Nana dies).

What a master class in comedy.

There are some outtake videos on youtube of the show and they are sometimes more funny than the actual show.

Two notable ones are when nana has died and they are all around the hospital bed. Nana opens one eye thinking they have finished the scene and all the sad faces burst out laughing.

But my favourite is when Jim is sat in his chair losing his temper and his rant is getting more and more animated but he slips a 'f**king' in the middle of it without realising.

I've been watching some of the latter specials recently and I can't understand why Jim, Dave and Anthony are portrayed so differently to their original selves for the first three series.

There's no doubt that there's some hilarious one-liners and the storylines are decent, but why does Jim act more like a lovable joker, almost like he's acting in a pantomime? Ricky T was trying too hard and he did not deliver his lines as naturally as he did before. It's almost like he forgot how to play the part of moody, grumpy Jim.

Dave - what the hell happened? Did he bang his head or have electroshock treatment that we're unaware of? He went from a fairly savvy, "with it" kind of man of the world to somebody with what appeared to be learning difficulties.

Anthony - I appreciate he was a 16 year old in the show and when we grow-up, our personalities change, but his personality change was the most unrealistic and mind boggling of them all. I don't know what Anthony's job was in the Royle Family Universe, but I cannot imagine that he'd go from a jobless teenager with the "lazy arse" syndrome, to a successful businessman career guy in his late 20s and who would appear almost yuppy like.

In the real world, even if he earned a few quid in an office job, a lad from a working class Mancunian family would still have "a bit about him" in terms of keeping to his roots. He'd still be a bit lippy and not so polite and kind natured.

Joe - He went from practically suffering from a vocal chord disorder, spouting occasional lines as "aye", to suffering with verbal diarrhea. Don't get me wrong, he was funny and I understand that they had to evolve his character as the show was missing a Nana and a Mary (what happened to the actress that played Mary?)

The only consistent characters were the women - Barb and Denise. Both actresses delivered their lines perfectly and was series 1 quality. Twiggy (God rest his soul) was also the exception who was immense when he returned.

That's my opinion anyway and that is why, although I love the Royle Family and started this very thread on a spin-off. that is why this show felt quite different to it's original.

As a side-note, I do not think it was a good idea to have an episode outside of the front room/kitchen. Didn't feel right at all.

I agree with you about the Dave character but not so much with Jim or Ant.
Dave's IQ plummeted throughout the series and his speed of talking slowed down.
Ant was a bright kid and wasn't really lazy... The dichotomy was, he was called lazy but did everything. He showed entrepreneurial leanings with managing a band and going to London to promote them.
It's believable to me that 'the boy done good'
Dave's dad was nothing like how he was often referred to, Limp along Leslie for one but Tom Courtney was sublime as David senior.
I'm just glad we never saw Beverly Macca, I might have been disappointed.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 23rd December 2017, 9:40 AM

I agree with you about the Dave character but not so much with Jim or Ant.
Dave's IQ plummeted throughout the series and his speed of talking slowed down.
Ant was a bright kid and wasn't really lazy... The dichotomy was, he was called lazy but did everything. He showed entrepreneurial leanings with managing a band and going to London to promote them.
It's believable to me that 'the boy done good'
Dave's dad was nothing like how he was often referred to, Limp along Leslie for one but Tom Courtney was sublime as David senior.
I'm just glad we never saw Beverly Macca, I might have been disappointed.

Fair points made about Antony. But I just don't believe he'd be so placid, laid back overly friendly. He was sickeningly friendly with Cheryl.

What's your opinion on Jim from Queen of Sheba onward? It just seemed like Ricky forgotten how to portray Jim from the earlier series. It was almost like a parody version (much like the Alistair McGowan sketch)

I have to say, I was disappointed by the big reveal of Dave's Dad - I pictured him to be quite droll and reserved. Almost like a Joe, but younger and a slight know-all, but with modesty. Don't know why.