Detectorists - Series 3 Page 2

Quote: Ravi Shamladd @ 1st December 2017, 10:22 AM

WOW! How on earth did you find that?!

Two minutes searching Twitter and two minutes browsing the hat company's website. :)

Nice to see some plot lines being tied up in Ep4, and satisfactorily as well. Lance's daughter has more bollocks than he does, which isn't saying much. This final series has had a homely feel to it and probably a quirk or two too many for my own liking like the ridiculous hypnotist subplot which just made Lance look even more of a gimbert than he is. There's also been too many unnecessary characters imo. To fill in the gaps he should imo have gone back to the characters of the club which I feel were neglected this series.

Crook should have had a good surplus of storylines drafted so the most credible only could be used. He either fell short on that or the rejects were even dafter. Been much more Lance and Andy home and personal life based this series which unfortunately for me has meant far less focus on the club than series 2. If I was writing a hobbyist sitcom I'd have taken the final series the other way, towards the characters in the hobbyist club. Overall though it's been a particularly well produced show and a very good comedy drama. I wish it would be moved to that genre slot on here because a sitcom it is not.

Anyone else sense a homage to the barn building scene in the 1985 film Witness with the music and sentiments at the gazebo erection?

They found the gold at the very end!

Very satisfying end to the show, bit of an artificial looking happy ending maybe and some slightly facile looking story decisions overall in the series but Crook did really well blending in the comedy and drama for each episode. I think the subject was done just to the limit and finished on time though many would've wanted it to continue (especially American fans who don't yet understand the concept of good short TV series).

For me it highlighted the virtues of a good non-audience location based comedy and especially one with a full story arc format, of which this is the best I can remember watching off the top of my head. It may give me a dilemma as to which show to vote for as best of year because if it's still wrongly classed as a sitcom then I will have to vote for Upstart Crow on pure sitcom grounds, whereas in truth I probably enjoyed this one more. Great comedy drama. :)

Quote: beaky @ 14th December 2017, 9:35 AM

They found the gold at the very end!

The last second that they were onscreen should have shown them breaking into a dance.

Quote: DaButt @ 14th December 2017, 3:31 PM

The last second that they were onscreen should have shown them breaking into a dance.

Indeed - sad there was no whooping for joy and gold dance ala series 2 finale.

Quote: gb901 @ 14th December 2017, 3:33 PM

Indeed - sad there was no whooping for joy and gold dance ala series 2 finale.

They teased the gold dance earlier in the episode, so I was sure they'd sneak it in at the end.

I'll miss the show. Hopefully Crook has another one bubbling around his brain. Maybe a comedy about property auctions? Those people seemed like a load of laughs. Laughing out loud

FINALE SPOILERS

An enjoyable finale, but perhaps someone can help explain to me if there was any reason why the gold simply fell out the tree at the end. Were the magpies thanking them? Was it karma? Or was it just an easy happy ending?

Quote: Nogget @ 18th December 2017, 9:19 AM

Were the magpies thanking them? Was it karma? Or was it just an easy happy ending?

Probably all three.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd December 2017, 9:02 PM

Nice to see some plot lines being tied up in Ep4, and satisfactorily as well. Lance's daughter has more bollocks than he does, which isn't saying much. This final series has had a homely feel to it and probably a quirk or two too many for my own liking like the ridiculous hypnotist subplot which just made Lance look even more of a gimbert than he is. There's also been too many unnecessary characters imo. To fill in the gaps he should imo have gone back to the characters of the club which I feel were neglected this series.

Crook should have had a good surplus of storylines drafted so the most credible only could be used. He either fell short on that or the rejects were even dafter. Been much more Lance and Andy home and personal life based this series which unfortunately for me has meant far less focus on the club than series 2. If I was writing a hobbyist sitcom I'd have taken the final series the other way, towards the characters in the hobbyist club. Overall though it's been a particularly well produced show and a very good comedy drama. I wish it would be moved to that genre slot on here because a sitcom it is not.

What's not a sitcom about it?

Is it a television series in which the same set of characters are involved in various amusing situations?

Quote: Nogget @ 18th December 2017, 9:19 AM

FINALE SPOILERS

An enjoyable finale, but perhaps someone can help explain to me if there was any reason why the gold simply fell out the tree at the end. Were the magpies thanking them? Was it karma? Or was it just an easy happy ending?

Completely off the top of my head, was it not suggested that it was the revving of everyone else's car engines at once that created vibrations to upset the delicately balanced nest?

Quote: Aaron @ 20th December 2017, 1:14 AM

Completely off the top of my head, was it not suggested that it was the revving of everyone else's car engines at once that created vibrations to upset the delicately balanced nest?

Only one car had started and everyone else was still walking.

I might have to watch the end of the episode again then...

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 26th November 2017, 1:32 PM

No, it's the effing BBC's again!!! They excluded the Xmas special from the iplayer..

I think it's there again now.