RIP Rodney Bewes Page 3

Quote: Sixty3closure @ 24th November 2017, 12:26 AM

Equally there's various threads discussing this and quoting the BBC saying there was no refusal. I've seen alot of repeats of WHTTLL so not sure I believe it. Similarly the few repeats i;ve seen of the Likely Lads are poor quality and of their time.

I've never met either of the actors but RB never quite achieved the same success as James Bolam and I can't help but see some sour grapes coming through in the interviews. Most of which seem to be about his falling out with Bolam.

One of the few interviews I've read with Bolam had him talking about how you work closely with people, spend time together and then move on and how its not possible to remain in close touch with everyone you worked with.

I feel that if Bolam was so difficult to work with why has he remained in continous employment on our screens for 50 years?

I am biased though as the Beiderbeck series is one of the few programmes I rewatch on a regular basis.

I think there's a lot of truth to this.

I think also that Bolam hated the idea of being typecast as Terry, and Clement and Le Frenais confirmed that. I also remember an interview having to be brought to a close early when Bolam took exception to being described as, "a sitcom actor".

I guess we'll never know the truth of it all now but what the hell, their on screen partnership produced one of the greatest sitcoms and one of the more rewatchable ones. Although it's dated in its early 70s setting and culture it just seems to get better with age to me, possibly due to nostalgia for the pre PC era but also due to great script writing, the chemistry of the two stars and the wonderfully snobby Thelma. RIP Rodney and thanks for your part in such a memorable sitcom. Wave

She may have been "the wonderfully snobby Thelma", but PHWOAR! Those legs. Lovey

RIP.

"I used to think we had forever now I'm not so sure."