What's your 'go-to' Christmas special sitcom?

There is not a year that passes (mid-Dec onward of course) that I don't watch:

-Vicar of Dibley - The Christmas Lunch Incident
-Father Ted - A Christmassy Ted
-Men Behaving Badly - Jingle Balls
-Only Fools - Fatal Extraction
-The Office - Xmas special
-Porridge - Both Xmas specials

Yours?

Ooh, good thread!

Vicar of Dibley was the first to come to mind.
I love watching old Christmas specials (70s, 80s, 90s). They seem much more Christmassy.

League of Gentlemen cut through the schmaltz.

Shame there wasn't a Toast of London or Ideal Christmas special.

Morcambe and Wise / Two Ronnies is always a must in our household.

Fresh Prince Of Bel Air - Deck The Halls
Fresh Prince Of Bel Air - Christmas Show
Fresh Prince Of Bel Air - Twas the Night Before Christening
Only Fools - Thicker Than Water
Father Ted - A Christmass Ted
The Office - Christmas Specials
Friends - The One with the Holiday Armadillo
Friends - The One With The Routine
The Simpsons - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire
The Simpsons - Marge Be Not Proud
Bottom - Holy (Gold, Frankentein and Grrr! :D)
Vicar Of Dibley - The Christmas Lunch Incident
Blackadder's Christmas Carol
Knowing Me Knowing Yule With Alan Partridge
Fast Show Chrismas Special

Anything Terry & June related (inc Happy Ever After).

Hancock's Half Hour - 2 classic Christmas episodes:-

THE CHRISTMAS CLUB - After last year's Christmas dinner - "turkey feet and chips", Laughing out loud Hancock has ample funds saved in a Christmas club to ensure that this year's Christmas will be a real "table creaker", so nothing can go wrong - can it?

BILL AND FATHER CHRISTMAS - At the tender age of 412 months, a distraught Bill discovers the truth about Father Christmas, everyone is sympathetic - except Hancock. Laughing out loud Love this one!!

A few favourites, both Porridge ones are classics as are Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. I like The Good Life's one for its happy Utopian feel and think Rising Damp's Alone for Xmas is a neglected gem and very funny. Rab C Nesbitt also did a very funny one, but if I could only watch one Xmas special it would be WHTT Likely Lads fancy dress party classic which is pretty much sitcom perfection for me. I do hope at least a couple of these get shown over the festive season and will be keeping an eye on Gold for them.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 19th November 2017, 6:19 PM

I like The Good Life's one for its happy Utopian feel.

Not sure middle class Surbiton was what the great poet was after.

Quote: zooo @ 19th November 2017, 9:55 AM

Ooh, good thread!
I love watching old Christmas specials (70s, 80s, 90s). They seem much more Christmassy.

This is undoubtedly because they were more Xmassy. Today's writers and prods seem to think it's too corny or uncool to big up fairy lights and decorations like a Tesco ad and maybe all the highly commercial ads have made us cynical of the old glitz and hooha of Xmas. That's why I the 70s Xmas specials, as they delve right into Xmas glitz and gloss unjaded.

The two part Office Xmas finale is a must in our house
Porridge ( the one with the siege with matey off of lovejoy is another annual treat)
Minder on the orient express
OFAH - to hull and back

Will definitely search out those two Hancock episodes - turkey feet and chips !!!!

Not exactly sitcoms but I did love the Carry on Christmas shows. I've got a few of them on DVDs issued free with a certain newspaper.

Extras Christmas Special
The Jolly Boys Outing

Pure Christmas!

Quote: RonnieParker @ 20th November 2017, 11:13 PM

Extras Christmas Special
The Jolly Boys Outing

Pure Christmas!

How could I forget Extras. When Andy's voice breaks when he's apologising to Maggie on Celebrity Big Brother it chokes me up every time.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 20th November 2017, 11:29 PM

How could I forget Extras. When Andy's voice breaks when he's apologising to Maggie on Celebrity Big Brother it chokes me up every time.

Snap!
That show was fantastic, it doesn't get the recognition it deserves for me.