The Rebel - Series 2 Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ 17th November 2017, 1:50 AM

Aside from the achingly obvious cast availability issue, it doesn't show!

Less said about the green screen/CGI in Episode 2 the better, mind. ;)

Glad it didn't show, Aaron! As I think I mentioned before, we had to rewrite all six episodes in three or four weeks, which was an absolute nightmare. Huge sections of my best plotlines and dialogue had to be jettisoned, and other people were working day and night to plug the gaps.
Regarding the green screen, I've no idea what you mean, ahem!

Quote: beaky @ 17th November 2017, 10:00 AM

As I think I mentioned before, we had to rewrite all six episodes in three or four weeks, which was an absolute nightmare. Huge sections of my best plotlines and dialogue had to be jettisoned, and other people were working day and night to plug the gaps.

Argh. A headstart on Series 3, at least!

Quote: Aaron @ 17th November 2017, 1:50 AM

Aside from the achingly obvious cast availability issue, it doesn't show!

Good that the writers avoided the temptation of a meta-reference, such as one of the characters walking into the charity shop, picking up a second-hand DVD of The Five Doctors and commenting: "Rubbish because they just used old footage of Tom Baker; you can tell he's not really in it." And then cutting to the absent husband on an iPad.

We're not that heavy handed!

Just watched the hospital episode.
The monologue by the bed - very sensitivley handled.
Nice job.

Thanks, Lazzard! It's my least favourite episode, apart from that part and the sea episode.

Watching episode 2, I was amazed to see Henry set off on a modern Vespa, but arrive at the garage pushing a series 2 Lambretta. The mechanic who claimed Lambretta knowledge then went on to identify it as a "1962 series 3" For the record, the series 3 TV 175 ( which was the first two wheeled vehicle fitted with a disc brake) was introduced in 1963 and was visually, a very different machine to the series 2.
Love the idea of the show, but for the sake of us grumpy old mods, let's get the detail right. Mod culture was and still is about image and attention to detail.

Welcome to the site TV, well spotted. I wouldn't have had a clue.

(Hangs head in shame)

You are right off Paul Weller's Christmas card list.

Quote: beaky @ 25th November 2017, 12:00 AM

(Hangs head in shame)

I shouldn't get too upset beaky - I remember seeing on another forum some years ago someone bemoaning the fact that the scooter Phil Daniels rides towards the cliff in Quadrophenia is not the exact same model as the one seen hurtling over the cliff and crashing on the beach.

The differences were very little so they must have studied the clip frame by frame to figure that one out. :S

Sad really..........................

Fortunately I didn't have anything to do with the props!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th November 2017, 12:12 AM

I shouldn't get too upset beaky - I remember seeing on another forum some years ago someone bemoaning the fact that the scooter Phil Daniels rides towards the cliff in Quadrophenia is not the exact same model as the one seen hurtling over the cliff and crashing on the beach.

Ha! Just realised this morning (remember I cannot watch The Rebel sadly :( ) that that was set in Brighton too.
Am I thick in thinking that is why you set your sitcom there?

It's because I live there part of the time, Herc, and can watch the filming! And because of Brighton's mod heritage, of course...

Just watched the hospital episode Beaky. My favourite so far. Simon Callow's needing to shit, was the best needing to shit I've ever seen. It made me feel like I needed a shit!

Henry's bedside scene where he is remembering his wife was very powerful and moving.

I also really enjoyed Bill Paterson pretending to be sicker than he really was. He really is a great actor.