dinnerladies Page 8

Anybody know where I can watch dinnerladies in the States? It's not on Netflix, not on some of my usual streaming sites, not on YouTube....was it ever called anything else?

No, to the best of my knowledge it's never had so much as a nickname. And I'm not sure I've ever heard talk of it being broadcast in the US either. You'll have to go through far less legal means, or order yourself a DVD.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/?search=dinnerladies

I have a huge preferences for sitcoms that deliver endearing conversations without striving to deliver the oft-sought after "belly laugh". Dinnerladies does this for me. It's also quite dialogue driven so it is wonderful to listen to as a radio sitcom.

Brilliant, highly-underrated sitcom showing Victoria Wood at her best. She is a genius and I love the rhythm and natural comic flow of her work. It is a shame it only ran for 2 series and I loved Bren's relationship with Tony. Victoria Wood looked better with her Bren wig and Julie Wlaters was hilarious as Petula Gordino.

This was a great show. It had a sad ending but it still was great. Had more years in this show

I thought I'd re-invigorate this thread as I've been watching dinnerladies on GOLD recently. I'm a lifelong fan of Victoria Wood and loved it when it was first broadcast back in 1998 and after watching both series several times now I still think that it's great. Probably the best part of it is that even the bit part players are still given some cracking lines and I adore the word play between the main leads.

Of course, reading through this thread it's clear that it's not universally popular and I adore the UK version of The Office as much as anybody, but this is a very different show to the former. I couldn't imagine it being filmed on a single camera format - thank goodness for old studio-based sitcoms!

On the subject of VW's funny songs, some are bit cringey I agree, but mostly they're great. Not sure if I agree with the comment about her lack of breath control and as a semi-trained singer myself I think it's more a case of her laughing too much within the verses.

dinnerladies is brilliant and holds up no matter how many times you re-watch. It's sharp but gentle... as good as it gets, really. Haven't seen anything else with Victoria Wood in Canada...except the amazing Housewife 49.

It's a great show Rose. VM used to do a Christmas special every year until a few years ago. As well as As Seen On TV there is at least one Audience With to enjoy. All of her stuff should be on YouTube.

What a talent Victoria Wood was! I bought the dinnerladies box set some years ago and have watched them through several times. I recently watched Pat & Margaret too, which although over 20 years old now, still stands the test of time. RIP

Hi All, I am trying to write English subtitle for Dinnerladies, but I can't yet understand some parts of their speech, I wonder if there is anyone here could help me. I will send him the exact time of each part so he won't need to waste time.

No one could beat Vic for dialogue - and she gave most of the best lines to Julie Walters.

Just binge watched the whole first series, thanks to this thread. Magical.

'Can you smell my Charlie' -such a funny line.

Quote: gbcomsrule @ 22nd June 2016, 8:37 PM

I recently watched Pat & Margaret too, which although over 20 years old now, still stands the test of time. RIP

Absolutely - Thora Hird dusting her front gate with a feather duster..........."Special needs? Didn't have that when I was at school, they sat at the back of the class with some raffia."

The charm of this show is down to its northern actors.

Northerners are generally naturally funnier in these types of sitcoms. Bounce well off one another.

An excellent comedy. One of my favorites.