Book and DVD sleeve errors

Over the last year or so, I've come across a few errors (mostly factual) that have been printed in comedy reference books and DVD sleeves.

Mark Lewisohn's Radio Times Guide to TV Comedy:
The comprehensive handbook that it is, I couldn't help but notice these:
Page 96 - entry for Birds of a Feather - states that Sharon was pregnant during series 8 and 9, rather than Tracey.
Page 311 - entry for Game On - Martin's surname is given as Henderson, rather than Henson.

Several DVD sleeve mistakes too - I'll have to add these later.

Oh gosh there are loads of errors in Lewisohn. It's a great resource, but must be thoroughly checked, not taken as gospel!

DVD:

The 2013 'BBC Classic Comedy' 4-disc release of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - Rochelle Selwyn is credited as a producer/director, but was actually the designer on one of the Christmas episodes.

In certain copies of the 2006 DVD release of The Smoking Room: Series 1, the inner sleeve listing of each episode's chapter points don't seem to tally with the actual disc content - mainly because it only lists six episodes and there's actually nine (including the Xmas special).

Is anyone else's the same?

Most of those were withdrawn but a few slipped through the net, and are now quite valuable! Hold on to it as an investment, it can only increase in value.

That's good to know beaky - I'll do that.

ML is awesome given that he researched it a) alone and b) before the glut of the Net.
DJ copies of the first Beatles single (the Beatles were an English pop band) misspelled Paul as McArtney and is now worth not a little.

There is nothing worse than exitedly picking up a book hoping for a cracking read and then discovering spelling errors within a few minutes. I can adapt to different writing styles but something I can't abide are books with spelling and grammar mistakes because this should get picked up and corrected long before the book is printed.

I've got a Blackadder II DVD and one of the episodes has never worked. It's not scratched so it must have been produced like that. The episode is listed but when I select it instead of starting it returns to the episode list. If I select play all it returns to the main menu when it gets to that epiosde.

You should have returned it!

In the 2010 biography of "Bill Nicholson Football's Perfectionist" by Brian Scovell, the build-up to the 1960/61 FA Cup Final is described on page 114 thus: "In the morning the players watched Grandstand... The programme was interrupted by breaking news of Neil Armstrong walking on the moon". In May 1961???

There are other glaring errors such as, on page 154, referring (correctly) to Bobby Smith being transferred to Brighton in 1964 but then, bizarrely, on page 166 quoting Smith as saying that he wasn't really fit for the 1967 Cup Final and had six injections before the game.

And he states on page 173 that Derby were European champions 5 years after Dave Mackay joined them (which they never were).

A pity the author wasn't as much a perfectionist as the subject. It makes you wonder whether any of the other alleged facts in the book are actually true.

How about God creating the world in less than a week, according to the Bible? Talk about exaggeration!

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 1st November 2017, 4:39 PM

There is nothing worse than exitedly picking up a book hoping for a cracking read and then discovering spelling errors within a few minutes.

Being sexually molested by a gorilla.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 1st November 2017, 4:39 PM

I've got a Blackadder II DVD and one of the episodes has never worked.

No disrespect, but when I read that I thought, Blessing in disguise.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st November 2017, 5:26 PM

It makes you wonder whether any of the other alleged facts in the book are actually true.

Or throughout history.

Errors on sleeves are rampant. I cherish my complete set of Minder DVDs issued by Australia's Umbrella Entertainment, as it's a fabulous show and the company went to the effort of recording a few commentaries, and there are detailed sleeve notes; however, the latter definitely required a proofreader/editor. Minor quibble though.

More interesting are DVD sleeves that appear in countries where piracy of TV shows and movies is rampant. Online streaming and downloading is slowly killing the pirate DVD market, but there are still some great examples of dodgy covers. Often the pirates design a cover that involves putting up a quote(s) from an online review, but the quotes are often negative. Best ever is a cover/quotes for the Daniel Day-Lewis Lincoln movie. As a treat, I will dig through my old boxes of DVDs, find it, photograph it and upload it.

Here we are:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st November 2017, 5:26 PM

In the 2010 biography of "Bill Nicholson Football's Perfectionist" by Brian Scovell, the build-up to the 1960/61 FA Cup Final is described on page 114 thus: "In the morning the players watched Grandstand... The programme was interrupted by breaking news of Neil Armstrong walking on the moon". In May 1961???

I assume they were referring to Alan Shepard becoming the first American (and second human) in space in May of 1961.