Bread vs. Porridge Page 3

Porridge, far superior.

Bread v Porridge, I much prefer Porridge as one of my all time favourite comedy shows.
Whereas Bread, well for me it was only ever OK. It didn't help that Carla Lane was never a favourite script writer of mine, how the hell does she garner so many plaudits? I'll never know.

When you read the first post you wonder why this thread was ever created - totally pointless comparison.

Porridge is a gem.

I didn't know until reading this topic that the first Aveline was brown bread.

Porridge and Bread seem quite similar in terms of poignant moments. In Bread, I really enjoy the on-going feud between Mrs Boswell and Lilo Lil:

Lil: Look, we're both intelligent people.
Mrs Boswell: You, intelligent? Any brains you ever had in your head have migrated to your knickers.

(Series 3, Ep 4)

Quote: Andrew M Bedell @ 12th May 2008, 4:57 PM

Just been watching Bread on DVD, I used to think it was ace, but now it barley rased a smile.

Barley? Was that intentional? I guess we'll never know now!

Definitely Porridge.
There was a great Smith 'n' Jones trailer spoof: 'Carla Lane's new series promises pathos, drama, tension, and a joke in episode 4.'
Next up: Bay City Rollers v Spice Girls.

Have to admit I don't know Porridge very well but I watched Bread a lot and it was funny but never the same after the original Joey left and had to be replaced. Some of the best scenes were the original Joey at the DSS charming his way with the female staff and his replacement put in a great effort but it could never be the same again.

Looking back they were seen as a solid family with wholesome virtues but one episode I remember the most is when one of the lads buys a bookshelf with a load of books on it from a private seller and there's a scene later on when they realise some of the books contain bank notes so they unearth all this hidden cash. I can't remember what happens after that but I'm pretty sure the deceitful bastards don't tell the seller about their forgotten savings and instead celebrate the new found wealth. Del Boy might have had to think about it in that scenario but I know eventually he would have done the right thing.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 21st October 2017, 4:05 PM

Next up: Bay City Rollers v Spice Girls.

MMA special.

ARE YOU READY?

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 21st October 2017, 10:59 PM

one episode I remember the most is when one of the lads buys a bookshelf with a load of books on it from a private seller and there's a scene later on when they realise some of the books contain bank notes so they unearth all this hidden cash. I can't remember what happens after that but I'm pretty sure the deceitful bastards don't tell the seller about their forgotten savings and instead celebrate the new found wealth. Del Boy might have had to think about it in that scenario but I know eventually he would have done the right thing.

I watched that episode relatively recently; think it's in Series 1. There was a reason they didn't give the money back. Although I don't recall it offhand now.

Quote: Aaron @ 22nd October 2017, 2:04 PM

I watched that episode relatively recently; think it's in Series 1. There was a reason they didn't give the money back. Although I don't recall it offhand now.

Now you mention it I remember there was a reason and it might have been the seller tried to rip them off by saying was an antique bookcase or something like that. So they think they have been scammed but end up coming out on top.

Porridge, no contest IMO.