Only Connect Page 34

Quote: Kenneth @ 24th October 2017, 6:11 PM

Vikings vs Parishioners. Missing Owls Round: Spam Email Headings... What a daft category (evidenced by only one being answered). Spam filters have prevented people from viewing such stuff for a decade.

That's just what I thought, which makes it doubly annoying for me when the ones I have submitted do not get a look in - I think this series I am submitting for right now (had an email tonight about it by coincidence - No.14) will be the last for me as with each one I get more pissed off when I see what passed and got used.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th March 2017, 9:39 AM

Acoustic Guitar
Analog Watch
Optical Zoom
Organic Farming

RETRONYMS

Well, the retronyms were finally used. Though they only kept the analog clock.

Quote: Kenneth @ 29th October 2017, 2:13 PM

Well, the retronyms were finally used. Though they only kept the analog clock.

Yes, and you know why don't you - it wasn't my f**king question (see previous post). I am getting seriously pissed off with them as that one I posted here back in March was a refusnik from two years ago, but it seems one of the old boy's network was acceptable. Angry

Corn on the cob a retronym?!?!?!? WTF, and noticed that Victoria had to explain it because it was iffy..................f**king iffy alright.

The cute boy was back on, so I don't remember any of the questions. Lovey

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th October 2017, 2:36 PM

Yes, and you know why don't you - it wasn't my f**king question (see previous post). I am getting seriously pissed off with them as that one I posted here back in March was a refusnik from two years ago, but it seems one of the old boy's network was acceptable. Angry

Corn on the cob a retronym?!?!?!? WTF, and noticed that Victoria had to explain it because it was iffy..................f**king iffy alright.

Ha ha. I'd be bombing their f**king studio if that was me, give me my credit, nepotistic bastards!
Laughing out loud

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th October 2017, 2:36 PM

Corn on the cob a retronym?!?!?!?

Absolutely. Indian corn (term first recorded 1617), also sweetcorn (1650s), later just corn. Canned corn first recorded 1848. Pop corn also first recorded 1848 (but better known by the 1972 cover by Hot Butter). "Corn on the cob" first recorded in 1867. So corn on the cob is a retronym.

Perhaps they went with it because it's very hard to guess as a first clue. By the second clue, Elizabeth I, I had worked it out. Surprising that neither team got it by snail mail.

I still think they should have given you credit/payment for the retronyms idea.

It's akin to proposing a Sequences picture question along the lines of:

5: A bee's abdomen (sting)
3: Susan Boyle in full flight (sing)
2: Apple with a bite taken (sin)
1: Arrow pointing through an entrance (in)

And they reject your submission, and then they use it, but with Sting changed for a photo of an arm in a Sling, and someone else takes the credit.

Quote: Kenneth @ 30th October 2017, 1:47 AM

Absolutely. Indian corn (term first recorded 1617), also sweetcorn (1650s), later just corn. Canned corn first recorded 1848. Pop corn also first recorded 1848 (but better known by the 1972 cover by Hot Butter). "Corn on the cob" first recorded in 1867. So corn on the cob is a retronym.

Perhaps they went with it because it's very hard to guess as a first clue. By the second clue, Elizabeth I, I had worked it out. Surprising that neither team got it by snail mail.

"I still think they should have given you credit/payment for the retronyms idea. "

Thank you for that, but it isn't going to happen - as it was explained to me by the current editor, the previous clearly didn't like it whereas he did and there is no record of pitches, only what was used in previous progs.

However, (mutter mutter) I have always looked on retronyms as leaning towards technology (OK, I did use Organic Farming) and to me corn on the cob is the same as tomatoes on the vine. I did find Victoria's explanation on Wikipedia (cob/canned), so that says a lot.

I think because of the limited way four things can be linked (synonymous, refer to a TV programme, movie, radio programme, book, game, term of speech, historic, cultural reference, might be some more; can't think) retronyms would turn up sooner or later.
I had a similar experience with a client who wanted 9 articles with the links so it would be fully optimised. Couldn't deliver. It's best just to walk away.

Has this show ceased screening for a couple of weeks?

So it seems (football/rugby/snooker/cricket etc. et f**king cetera ) - it returns tomorrow night on 2 at 8.30.

Splendid.

You're welcome.

Catching up on this. S13, E22 - Cricketers v Escapologists. So glad the Escapologists won as they had a comparatively rotten wall.

And gutted to now see the Meeples out, though they were far too slow with the missing owls.

And nice to see the Dandies pipped by the Escapologists.