Supermarkets. Page 7

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th October 2017, 8:16 AM

I remember being able to buy chocolate coated Garibaldis.

A likely story, you fat, foozling scrounger. Your penurious position has rendered you constitutionally incapable of purchasing provender. Wharton saw you snooping tuck from Coker's study and we all know he had just received a parcel of Garibaldi's from his Aunt Judy.

Quote: Kenneth @ 28th October 2017, 12:09 PM

we all know he had just received a parcel of Garibaldi's from his Aunt Judy.

A parcel belonging to Garibaldi? Surely not. Quelch would be very disappointed.

I don't give a fig for Quelch or any other beak. I'll jolly well tell him that Garibaldi sent that parcel to me. Quelch can shove it in his pipe and smoke it, along with that Virgil book. Quelch isn't going to run my life.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th October 2017, 11:04 AM

Branston pickle but no Coleman's mustard!!! or piccalilli. Marmite but no marmalade!!! No Worcestershire sauce, imo the finest of our bottled condiments.

Colman's mustard is fairly well known here, so it's probably on the shelf with the other mustards. The same goes for Worcestershire sauce and marmalade, although I don't know if they're imported from England. I've seen British piccalilli in other stores, so it may be on another shelf, too.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th October 2017, 11:04 AM

This and the vastness in size of your stores makes me wonder why more space wasn't given to the British (and Irish) shelf.

I'm sure there would be more products if the demand were there. With only 800,000 UK expats in a nation of 330 million, I doubt more than 10 or 15 would shop at my local store.

There used to be a place in town that specialized in British stuff, but it closed a few years ago. I used to go there to buy bangers and "real" bacon, which are annoyingly hard to find in the States.

Fortunately its easy to get hold of Marmite in Malaga or I don't know what I'd do.

Quote: DaButt @ 28th October 2017, 1:58 PM

used to go there to buy bangers and "real" bacon, which are annoyingly hard to find in the States.

Makes one proud to be British. :)

If you are doing a full English DB, you must have fried (white) bread with it - a real heart stopper but what the f**k, it tastes sooooo good.

So if I can just come back to the baked beans bit - do you have one of the real comfort foods over here of beans on toast? Delicious!
And would you know if one of my other favourites is the same in The States - Heinz Cream of Tomato soup?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th October 2017, 3:47 PM

If you are doing a full English DB, you must have fried (white) bread with it - a real heart stopper but what the f**k, it tastes sooooo good.

So if I can just come back to the baked beans bit - do you have one of the real comfort foods over here of beans on toast? Delicious!

And would you know if one of my other favourites is the same in The States - Heinz Cream of Tomato soup?

I've never had fried bread with any of my breakfasts in England, but it sounds like something right up my alley. I'll have to give it a go.

I think they only Americans who have ever had beans on toast would be those who have traveled to the UK. It's essentially unheard of here.

Heinz Cream of Tomato soup was on the UK shelf at my store. I would have sworn that there was an American version that I remember from my youth, but I don't see one on my store's website. Campbell's sell something called Creamy Tomato soup, but I don't know if it's at all similar.

And do you know how to pronounce Worcestershire dabutt? :)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th October 2017, 4:52 PM

And do you know how to pronounce Worcestershire dabutt? :)

War-sester-shy-er, right? ;)

Er no :)
Wust a sher. Honest

I feel like 'franks and beans' is a thing that you buy in a can in America. (Like our tins of beans and sausages that aren't really sausages, presumably.)
Does that have baked beans in, or some kind of different bean?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th October 2017, 5:20 PM

Wust a sher. Honest

I know how to pronounce it. Honest. :)

Quote: zooo @ 28th October 2017, 6:14 PM

I feel like 'franks and beans' is a thing that you buy in a can in America. (Like our tins of beans and sausages that aren't really sausages, presumably.)
Does that have baked beans in, or some kind of different bean?

Yep. Baked beans.

Quote: DaButt @ 28th October 2017, 5:02 PM

War-sester-shy-er, right? ;)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th October 2017, 5:20 PM

Wust a sher. Honest

I think he was winding you up Stephen. ;)

Wanker. :)

Quote: DaButt @ 28th October 2017, 1:58 PM

I'm sure there would be more products if the demand were there. With only 800,000 UK expats in a nation of 330 million, I doubt more than 10 or 15 would shop at my local store.

Teary Yeah amazed at that figure, I would have said 5 million at the very least, maybe ten. I thought there'd be at least 800k of our actors and pop/rock stars alone living there. And there seems to be 800k Americans living in London whenever I go there.

Quote: Kenneth @ 28th October 2017, 12:09 PM

A likely story, you fat, foozling scrounger. Your penurious position has rendered you constitutionally incapable of purchasing provender. Wharton saw you snooping tuck from Coker's study and we all know he had just received a parcel of Garibaldi's from his Aunt Judy.

:) I'm guessing you enjoyed that as much as I did, Kenneth, :D