Supermarkets. Page 6

Quote: DaButt @ 26th October 2017, 10:40 PM

I just got back from my local supermarket, H-E-B (stands for H. E. Butt Grocery Company) and thought I'd take a photo of the UK section of the "international" aisle. Here ya go:

Ha! That all looks about right to me. I use pretty much all that.
Never heard of Barry's Tea though.

Quote: zooo @ 26th October 2017, 10:46 PM

Never heard of Barry's Tea though.

Wikipedia says it's Irish.

Ahh, that explains it.

I'm just glad to see Marmite there. That's the most important one.

Quote: zooo @ 26th October 2017, 10:46 PM

Ha! That all looks about right to me. I use pretty much all that.

Ok, so you're covered if you move to Texas. That's about half the shelf space we have for hot sauce. The same goes for tortillas, salsa, and BBQ sauce. :)

Quote: zooo @ 26th October 2017, 10:50 PM

I'm just glad to see Marmite there. That's the most important one.

I've always been scared to try the stuff. The puddles of yeast that I dump out after fermenting 10 gallons of beer are nasty.

I just got back from my local supermarket, H-E-B (stands for H. E. Butt Grocery Company) and thought I'd take a photo of the UK section of the "international" aisle. Here ya go:

Brilliant! I can see that becoming a global craze. Rowntree's are kicking butt there and are just at the right height for the nippers. Fancy that! I'm surprised to see Tyrrell's there because I thought that was a fledgling brand but obviously not. They are quality crisps though. Sorry, I meant quality chips :D

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th October 2017, 10:59 PM

Brilliant! I can see that becoming a global craze.

Most decent supermarkets have a UK section, along with Germany, Israel, India, and Thailand/Korea/Japan.

Look at the price for a 9-ounce bottle of HP sauce. Five bucks! I can (and do) buy 6 15-ounce bottles for $30 on Amazon.

That's great DB and very interesting! :D

BUT, why the Heinz, especially the baked beans? Don't know why I'm asking this but you must have American versions which would make these redundant?

Just a bit of trivia - I used to work as a rep. for Heinz in the late 60s and enjoyed every minute of it. A wonderful (then) company to work for AND for weird coincidence I am now re-reading right now "The Magic Number 57" ( history of the company) that every employee was given a copy of when they joined.

Quote: DaButt @ 26th October 2017, 11:29 PM

Most decent supermarkets have a UK section, along with Germany, Israel, India, and Thailand/Korea/Japan.

Look at the price for a 9-ounce bottle of HP sauce. Five bucks! I can (and do) buy 6 15-ounce bottles for $30 on Amazon.

I meant random pictures of supermarket shelves like that :D I could see someone posting something like that on twitter and it explodes in to a global trend. It's driving me crazy trying to work out what was on the right of the Bounty's that's sold out because at first I assumed it must be Mars or Snickers but when comparing the prices to the other products on that shelf that....just....doesn't....make.....sense.

Are those Yorkie bars over $4? I know what you mean about bulk buying because it can save a fortune on long lasting foods that can be stored. If it's something like chocolate or crisps it's false economy because it gets scoffed within days but with sauces, rice, pasta etc it saves money.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th October 2017, 11:47 PM

BUT, why the Heinz, especially the baked beans? Don't know why I'm asking this but you must have American versions which would make these redundant?

I assume that American versions are different enough that an expat wouldn't approve; I know that's the case with the baked beans. Our beans are more of a picnic/BBQ item and are very sweet and BBQ-y. They're not anything like the beans I've had with breakfast in England.

I'm not sure what salad cream is, but I'd imagine that it's similar to what we know as Miracle Whip. It's labeled as a salad dressing, but it's used as a sandwich spread. It's tangy and sweeter than mayonnaise. It's fairly regional in popularity (seems to be most popular in Indiana, Michigan and Ohio) but I grew up with it and it reminds me of my childhood. Spread it on a fried egg sandwich, a BLT or a Thanksgiving turkey leftovers sandwich and I'm 8 years old again. :)

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th October 2017, 11:59 PM

It's driving me crazy trying to work out what was on the right of the Bounty's that's sold out because at first I assumed it must be Mars or Snickers but when comparing the prices to the other products on that shelf that....just....doesn't....make.....sense.

My hi-res photo shows that Mars Bounty Dark was in the empty space. The other sold-out item on that shelf was occupied by Aero Mousse bars.

Are those Yorkie bars over $4?

I think the $4.43 (strangely unrounded price) item is After Eight mints. I believe the Yorkie bars are $1.49.

I know what you mean about bulk buying because it can save a fortune on long lasting foods that can be stored.

The imported items are expensive because they're imported and they likely have a captive audience. $5 for a tiny bottle of HP sauce, but I could probably buy a half-gallon of ketchup for three bucks.

Here's a link to the original photo. You should be able to click on the photo and see everything clearly:

https://i.imgur.com/M3lHGJN.jpg

With the close up I can see the stands either side contain foods that can be used for more substantial meals but the UK stand is all biscuits, chocolate and sweets :D

I'm delighted to see the Garibaldi which is cunningly only revealed in the full picture. Garibaldi biscuits are very underated in my opinion so it warms the cockles to see them on display across the Atlantic.

Glad to see Branston Pickle on there - the world would be a poorer place without it, although I prefer the smaller chunk version.

A cold meat spread does not work without "Bring Out The Branston!"

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 27th October 2017, 12:47 AM

I'm delighted to see the Garibaldi which is cunningly only revealed in the full picture. Garibaldi biscuits are very underated in my opinion so it warms the cockles to see them on display across the Atlantic.

I remember being able to buy chocolate coated Garibaldis.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th October 2017, 8:16 AM

I remember being able to buy chocolate coated Garibaldis.

Just looked it up and it says there were chocolate coated varieties that are no longer in production. It sounds nice and I'm thinking of a DIY attempt. I've never seen an advert for Garibaldis but I can't think of any other biscuit adverts either.

I don't buy biscuits because I can't be trusted with them. If I buy a packet of Garibalidi or Fig Rolls it will be devoured within an hour. I don't even think of the potential sleep interrupting ramifications while I'm stuffing my face. Everything is a blur.

I'm usually in a supermarket at this time but am running a late schedule today due to current health demands. Instead I'm enjoying a nice picture of fine British produce. That's a reasonable emergency selection I'd say to cater for the desperate Brit holidayer I assume, rather than the expat or curious American. The heavy duties you can see on prices there would deter all but the desperate 'vacationer' in American parlance.

Tea is well accommodated as is confectionery. I was at first shocked to see no Mars bars!!! but on examining the link photo I believe I can just about make them out on upper left shelf. ? I think. Plenty of Rowntrees jelly sweets but not the most popular here, Bassets Jelly Babies! Branston pickle but no Coleman's mustard!!! or piccalilli. Marmite but no marmalade!!! No Worcestershire sauce, imo the finest of our bottled condiments. But by far most alarmingly, no sliced bread (under licence obviously)! :O

Quote: DaButt @ 26th October 2017, 10:53 PM

That's about half the shelf space we have for hot sauce. The same goes for tortillas, salsa, and BBQ sauce. :)

This and the vastness in size of your stores makes me wonder why more space wasn't given to the British (and Irish) shelf. For example do your people know how many tins of baked beans we eat here? I believe it's the reason why many working class people here have turned orange. {I see Trump is a fan of them though).

Quote: DaButt @ 27th October 2017, 12:17 AM

or a Thanksgiving turkey leftovers sandwich and I'm 8 years old again. :)

Have you tried piccalilli on cold turkey sandwiches? It's the reason I never tire of cold turkey like others do. It's still one of my favourite sandwiches at any time of year. Very closely followed by your cranberry sauce. Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce or piccalilli on crusty bread, wow, gorgeous indeed.