Gregory's Girl

Just watching the BBC1 thing about this in the background. How funny is that?!? Fantastic, and still laugh out loud for me. The clip of everyone kissing her after the goal - including the opposition - has just made me screech.

If it was just funny it would be great, but it's touching as well. Any more under-seen modern British comedy classics, anyone?

(By the way, I'm writing this before they get to the sequel)

Withnail & I? I'm sure everybody on here knows about it but it's a still classic and highly watchable. Richard E Grant's performance is fantastic.

"We want the finest wines known to man, we want them here and we want them now!"

Gregory's Girl & Local Hero were too wonderfully warm comedies by Bill Forsyth. Yes, Scottish, but also generally very British humour. Scenes and lines are allowed to stay, not because they advance the plot (which is relatively miminimal), but because they help create the worlds they inhabit.

As a 34 year-old, much as I found the comedy charming, it was really Claire Grogan that made my day. Ahhh...

sorry, 'two'...

Sorry, "two",poor typing...

'Clockwise', despite poor production values, was very funny...

Peter Cook's 'Bedazzled' is a very funny and intelligent retelling of Faust, but was unfairly ignored and idiotically remade. Watch it and...giggle.

I love Gregorys Girl, crackingly good film.

I'd urge everyone to seek out a film called 'Heartlands'. Very under-rated and, although not laugh out loud funny, a lovely gentle warm-hearted British film.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 6, 2007, 7:25 PM

'Clockwise', despite poor production values, was very funny...

One of my favourite films, that one. :)

Rita, Sue & Bob Too.

My favourite (oft-regurgitated) Gregory's Girl quotes:

"Tits, bum, fanny - the LOT!"

"If I don't see you through the week, I'll see you through the window"

It's a great shame for me that the legendary Scottish comic Chic Murray is only afforded an all too brief cameo appearance.

I went to a party once as a friend of mine was sort of dating one of the members of Altered Images. Claire Grogan was there and I don't think I managed to say anything witty, sensible or clever at any point.

Returning to the film, it's one of my favourites, partly as I grew up near by but mainly because it captures much of my teenage years. I had friend who was an extra ("That's not the way you spell 'Caracus' anyway") and all I can remember is his annoyance at the liberties they took with the geography of Cumbernauld.

Gregory's Two Girls was such a disappointment. There was so much he could have done with it rather than some stupid plot about smuggling, and as for the teacher/pupil stuff it seems a million miles away from the original. It got Gregory spot on (at least he didn't become a driving instructor) but other than that I think you'd struggle to spot the connection.

Never heard of Gregory's Two Girls. Maybe that was a North of the Border only release.

No, full film release about 20 years ago, remember the actor promoting it on Wogan or somesuch. Didn't see it myself but wasn't given good write up. Forsyth made some good films in his day with GG right up there. My only disappointment with it at the time was that there were no tits in it given the ample opportunity for them with the setting and the type of TV of the era, when you could expect to see a good pair of knockers in practically every primetime show such as Minder. Angry

If it was Wogan it couldn't have been twenty years ago.