Newsjack 2017 Page 51

Interesting thoughts guys. I also found the 'wrap' one rather obvious.

And all chocolate brand name puns have been done to death. I would rather the punchline properly related to hospitals or the NHS. Maybe a pun of 'slab' would be better.

When I sometimes say 'I can't think of anything' what I really mean is 'I can only think of lots of really obvious stuff that I wouldn't dare submit and seriously expect it to get chosen.' But it seems a lot of people don't have that filter (and still get chosen anyway).

All that said, I'm quite new to this and someone who's been writing jokes for a while would probably think my jokes are weak and hack. So I shouldn't speak to soon. :-P

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 20th October 2017, 1:29 PM

'I can only think of lots of really obvious stuff that I wouldn't dare submit and seriously expect it to get chosen.' But it seems a lot of people don't have that filter (and still get chosen anyway).

Exactly this. I'm glad you said that, because that has been my experience and I include my own jokes that have hit, but sadly none this series, maybe the tone has changed. But it's all relative, so if you and I feel the obvious stuff is going in, maybe we just don't have obvious thinking ? Clearly Newsjack are choosing the best jokes for their show, so how do we get into the current Newsjack mentality ? That's the thing. It does seem a bit lighter than when Niche hosted. Any ideas ?

The jokes I have a real problem with are the ones with a punchline that you can see coming a mile off. The worst examples (and there have been loads of these on NJ) have this format...

RyanAir has been compared to North Korea. "How dare you compare us to that dictatorship"........said North Korea.

How anyone can read this and think it's a brilliant joke, rather than tediously predictable and weak, is beyond me

Does anyone know the month the next series begins in.

https://barnesbraindump.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/metoo-newsjack-monologue-unedited/amp/

Angela's unedited monologue.

Quote: BTF @ 22nd October 2017, 8:40 AM

https://barnesbraindump.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/metoo-newsjack-monologue-unedited/amp/

Angela's unedited monologue.

Best monologue of the series and that rare thing of a topical show giving a woman airtime to talk about #metoo.

I think someone asked me some posts ago about what I got on. (If you didn't I'm going to tell you anyway!) - It was the sexual injuries number cruncher. If nothing else it means my earlier post about writing a number cruncher is a little more validated!

Quote: StephenM @ 22nd October 2017, 11:01 AM

Best monologue of the series and that rare thing of a topical show giving a woman airtime to talk about #metoo.!

And this is why comedy is so subjective - I thought it was the most unoriginal, tedious, drawn-out and *unfunny* monologue I can remember on Newsjack... but one man's rubbish is another man's gold! To be honest I thought the whole episode was really poor, spoon-fed unoriginal jokes and just flat - let's just hope those in charge liked it and commission another series...!

It's all about sense of humour and if you don't have a match to those editing it's going to be difficult - I guess we have 3 choices... carry on regardless with your own style and sense of humour, adjust to try to meet the editors' "style", or give up. FWIW I have tried all 3 this series and failed each way Laughing out loud

Well done to everyone who got on!

Liked the IKEA joke from the last episode.

Overall, I think it was a pretty good series. Just the solitary oneliner for me over the six weeks, but I'll take that, given the numbers.

Hello,
Has everyone been paid from the last series yet? I had a one liner in the first episode.
I'm still chasing it.

Quote: skram @ 22nd October 2017, 12:06 PM

And this is why comedy is so subjective - I thought it was the most unoriginal, tedious, drawn-out and *unfunny* monologue I can remember on Newsjack... but one man's rubbish is another man's gold! To be honest I thought the whole episode was really poor, spoon-fed unoriginal jokes and just flat - let's just hope those in charge liked it and commission another series...!

It's all about sense of humour and if you don't have a match to those editing it's going to be difficult - I guess we have 3 choices... carry on regardless with your own style and sense of humour, adjust to try to meet the editors' "style", or give up. FWIW I have tried all 3 this series and failed each way Laughing out loud

Well done to everyone who got on!

I didn't like this monologue either. In fact I don't enjoy the opening monologues being written by the host. I could be wrong but this started after Justin Edwards left. Before then there was an opening which had a lot of topical funny jokes put together in an introduction. Since the show has been promoting specific hosts, the opening monologues have been either their own stand-up style, a lot of which has been too political (for my tastes), and overly 'shouty'. Earlier series seemed to have more stability in the cast. I don't know how well it works nuturing new writers and performers at the same time. It's hard to actually define what the 'Newsjack style' is anymore.

I've had contributor payment notice in the post today. It says the money should be in the bank within next five working days

Thanks. Just been paid.
Recent series have all started either in Sept or between late January and early March. So presumably in 3 months time, we'll be doing this again!