Status report Page 5,989

I guess that's an American sitcom so I'll give it a wide berth.

Quote: Chappers @ 16th October 2017, 10:16 PM

I guess that's an American sitcom so I'll give it a wide berth.

It's a fantastic American drama that's a prequel to Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad is a strong contender for the best television series of all time.

EDIT: If you think it wouldn't resonate with a UK viewer, take a look at this fan letter from Sir Anthony Hopkins to Breaking Bad star Bryan Cranston:

Dear Mister Cranston,

I wanted to write you this email - so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber - I take it we are both represented by UTA. Great agency.

I've just finished a marathon of watching "BREAKING BAD" - from episode one of the First Season - to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.

I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!

Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen - ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I've sort of lost belief in anything really.

But this work of yours is spectacular - absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers.... every department - casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over used word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to - would you pass on my admiration to everyone - Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada - everyone - everyone gave master classes of performance ... The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I've ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It's almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards

Tony Hopkins

He's not blowing smoke, it is one of the best series ever shown anywhere.
Such a shame only Netflix viewers could get it.
The plots and stories are totally believable and at times truly shocking.
The main protagonist Walter White goes from a humble chemistry teacher to a hardened vicious drug baron but over 5 series.

The baddies are so nasty they actually frighten you from the screen.
You the viewer are treat with intelligence. You either see the reasons something happened, or you don't.
Beg, steal or borrow the complete series.... we won't see you for a month while you binge watch until your head hurts.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th October 2017, 11:20 PM

He's not blowing smoke, it is one of the best series ever shown anywhere.
Such a shame only Netflix viewers could get it.
The plots and stories are totally believable and at times truly shocking.
The main protagonist Walter White goes from a humble chemistry teacher to a hardened vicious drug baron but over 5 series.

The baddies are so nasty they actually frighten you from the screen.
You the viewer are treat with intelligence. You either see the reasons something happened, or you don't.
Beg, steal or borrow the complete series.... we won't see you for a month while you binge watch until your head hurts.

That's an interesting review and I need something new to binge on. I'm stuck in a cycle with boxsets and watching ones I've already seen multiple times over and haven't bought something new in a long time. I like the sound of the storyline in Breaking Bad and didn't realise it was as hard hitting as you suggest. Which is a bonus.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th October 2017, 11:20 PM

Very true. Sometimes a single color would permeate most of the scenes. Little touches like that made it special. I used to watch it with my neighbors and it would often take us 90 minutes to watch a 45-minute episode because we were constantly pausing and discussing what we just saw, or what we were expecting to happen. Many people wouldn't be able to stand that kind of viewing, but when you appreciate the artistry and are completely taken by it it's hard to avoid.

Definitely watch it, if you haven't already. Enjoy the fact that you can binge on it, because those 8 or 9 months between series used to kill me.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th October 2017, 11:35 PM

That's an interesting review and I need something new to binge on. I'm stuck in a cycle with boxsets and watching ones I've already seen multiple times over and haven't bought something new in a long time.

Looks like the 21-DVD set is £25.75 on Amazon. Blu-ray is 15 discs for £44.99.

I just noticed there is a season 1-5 boxset for 18 sobs from Cex and my local store has one in stock. The bus stop I get to work is outside Cex and this week I'm on a later shift so the shop is open when I get the bus and have time to pop/nip/sneak in to buy it. It's like it's meant to be.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th October 2017, 12:33 AM

I just noticed there is a season 1-5 boxset for 18 sobs from Cex and my local store has one in stock. The bus stop I get to work is outside Cex and this week I'm on a later shift so the shop is open when I get the bus and have time to pop/nip/sneak in to buy it. It's like it's meant to be.

You won't regret it. The writing and acting are superb. The quality never dips and there's never an episode that seems like a waste of time.

Have to agree with all the BB comments - though not sure about Mr Hopkins 'Best acting ever'. Perhaps the best sustained level?
My daughters boyfriend bought the box set just to make us watch it - they had already watched it on Netflix. Genuinely addictive viewing.
My one gripe was the 'Fly' episode which was so completely out of sync with the rest of the series in just about every way.

I've never seen Breaking Bad either.

Quote: playfull @ 17th October 2017, 9:15 AM

My one gripe was the 'Fly' episode which was so completely out of sync with the rest of the series in just about every way.

Interesting background/insight on that episode here: https://goo.gl/2cEgyH

I brewed my first batch of beer the day after the episode aired. I was super-paranoid about cleanliness after reading about the horrors of infected beer, so of course a solitary fly decided to land on all of my equipment and I went on a Walter White fly-killing rampage. My son was laughing hysterically as I freaked out.

Quote: Chappers @ 18th October 2017, 5:54 PM

I've never seen Breaking Bad either.

You should rectify that when you have the time to watch 62 45-minute episodes of the best television imaginable.

Face off was the greatest episode of any series ever.
I've not read anything but I suspect it was going to be the last made, so they went for it.
I can see him now walking out of the room.
There can't have been anyone who watched it that did not use an expletive.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 18th October 2017, 7:11 PM

I would agree Stephen. I have yet to see a better series, but I've not seen Game of Throwns yet. As for Mr Hopkins 'Best acting ever' compare this part with his Malcome in the Middle character and you can see the breadth he has. He and Hopkins are both good at the subtleties of acting and I find them both utterly convincing in the parts I've seen them play.

I've not read anything but I suspect it was going to be the last made, so they went for it.
I can see him now walking out of the room.
There can't have been anyone who watched it that did not use an expletive.

My neighbors and I replayed that scene about 10 times.

What does this refer to?

Quote: Chappers @ 18th October 2017, 11:32 PM

What does this refer to?

It's an episode of Breaking Bad. Perhaps the most famous one in the show's history.