Newsjack 2017 Page 47

I've just listened to last week's programme and realised that one of my sketches (a portmanteau) has out-of-date material from old breaking news :(

Fingers crossed for number two ...

we've sent our two sketches - one about the end of the round pound coin, and one about children not playing outside anymore. good luck everyone!! :)

Quote: Bonzo @ 16th October 2017, 12:17 PM

we've sent our two sketches - one about the end of the round pound coin, and one about children not playing outside anymore. good luck everyone!! :)

I sent one about the pound coin, too. And I take great delight in the fact that it was an old one hastily rewritten. I take even more delight in the fact that it will rankle some of the grumpier people on here. I also did a new one on upcycling caravans.

I sent one about home care cuts and one about Universal Credit at Christmas.

I have sent a few rewritten ones in the past when I ran out of inspiration or time and they suddenly became more topical than they were the first time round!

Good luck

VERY late to the party but...

Quote: Will Cam @ 7th October 2017, 11:54 PM

The only fools sketch was the best this week. I haven't sent anything in this series. Well done to those getting stuff in this series. Was nice hearing our old BCG chum Dan Sweryt with a credit this week. https://www.comedy.co.uk/people/dan_sweryt/

... cheers Will!

However, that was entirely DeathByMonkey's sketch really, as the (very) little I added was edited out, so all credit goes to him! :)

Dan

last chance sketch efforts in:

Harvey Weinstein fallout

A&E walk-ins

GLTA

eoin

A full complement of one-liners submitted this week. I'm not optimistic - I just couldn't come up with anything decent.

Good luck everyone.

Well Damian B you have had a very good run even if you get nothing on this week.

Death by Monkey which sketch was your sketch on the show?

I started a sketch on A and E walkins but it kept sounding a bit like a church bouncer one I heard in the past on NJ and it kept writing itself as a hospital bouncer type sketch. I scrapped it as it wasn't that funny anyway in the end and I did one on care cuts and one on universal credit.

Quote: BTF @ 16th October 2017, 7:04 PM

Well Damian B you have had a very good run even if you get nothing on this week.

I started a sketch on A and E walkins but it kept sounding a bit like a church bouncer one I heard in the past on NJ and it kept writing itself as a hospital bouncer type sketch. I scrapped it as it wasn't that funny anyway in the end and I did one on care cuts and one on universal credit.

I honestly think they forget what they've had on before. I've heard more than one sketch that reuses an idea from a previous series.

Quote: BTF @ 16th October 2017, 7:04 PM

It was the Bear Grylls Monarch one. Our framing was 'most hostile environment known to man, an 18 to 30's holiday in Teneriffe' and they reframed it in the airport (which is fair enough)

This week I went with Austria elects the world youngest leader and Dan and I wrote a sketch on GPs having to ask patients' sexuality.

Managed to get a full quota of one-liners off for the final episode of the series! Best of luck to all submitting something :D

I managed to reach Tuesday morning with about five number-crunchers and three one-liners (one or two of which were either unsuitable, not funny or no good).

The 'crunchers were whittled-down to the three best and I replaced the clunkiest one-liner with a weather-related pun, and the full quota sent in before 08.30!

Just as I think I might be starting to get the hang of it, the series comes to an end :(

(On the other hand, I might not be getting the hang of it at all, as tomorrow's revelatory post will show!)

It would be great if there was another similar open-submission opportunity to keep me honed and occupied now the nights have started drawing in ...

We also did the A&E walk-in thing, framed around it being an automated voice system going 'Press 1 to...' etc

Also got full set of one liners and number crunchers. In fact, got more than necessary so am spending the last hour wondering which are the funniest. And which Twitter will re-invent.

The Monarch one was very funny Death by Monkey and Dan.

Sounds like some good sketch ideas on here. Mine on care cuts/provision and universal credit are seeming boring topics now. I start off on Monday thinking my sketches are funny when I email them. By Thursday, they don't seem funny anymore. The finding them unfunny process starts Monday evening and progresses through to |Thursday at 6.30.

I too had a load of number crunchers. Must have been a good week for topics which lent themselves to number crunchers I guess.

All submitted. Gutted to have reached the end of another series. Really pleased with my submissions this time. Poor track record so far but remaining hopeful.

This week was an excercise in rewriting until I had something good. Started today with some ideas I was happy with but the jokes weren't solid enough. Through a series of redrafts, I'm happy and find the jokes funny - even if nobody else does.

As much as I hate that Thursday night crush, I will miss these weekly excuses to write.

Roll on series 18!