The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to tour Page 3

Simon Jones is definitely doing it, though. It was him who revealed it.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 28 2011, 10:09 AM BST

Simon Jones is definitely doing it, though. It was him who revealed it.

I think he'd be the first to admit that he's too old to play Arthur Dent now.

Quote: Tim Azure @ April 28 2011, 1:42 PM BST

I think he'd be the first to admit that he's too old to play Arthur Dent now.

Why ever not? There's nothing in the book that determines Arthur Dent's age, is there?

Quote: Baumski @ April 28 2011, 2:45 PM BST

Why ever not? There's nothing in the book that determines Arthur Dent's age, is there?

Is. p9 HHGG Book 1. 'He was about thirty as well, tall, dark haired and never quite at ease with himself.'

There's also a load of guff about Californian alchemy and having a face drop in So Long and Thanks for all the Fish. 'I hope being thirty doesn't come back into fashion or I've wasted a lot of money.'

And yes, I am that sad that I know exactly where to find this stuff in the books.

Quote: KLRiley @ April 28 2011, 5:34 PM BST

Is. p9 HHGG Book 1. 'He was about thirty as well, tall, dark haired and never quite at ease with himself.'

Yes, absolutely right but considering the liberties that were taken with the film by rewriting the ending and ruining it, I think most die-hard fans would want as many of the original cast as they could - or is it just me?

Quote: KLRiley @ April 28 2011, 5:34 PM BST

And yes, I am that sad that I know exactly where to find this stuff in the books.

You call that sad? I've got the albums, the cassettes, the original paperbacks, special edition hardback, beach towel emblazoned with HHGG text. I also discovered that I had the theme on an Eagles album called 'Journey to the Sorcerer'.

Now that's sad. :S

Tickets for the performances are now available.

http://www.hitchhikerslive.com/

Just got back from seeing this,it was brilliant! Andrew Sachs was the book and almost the entire cast was in the pub afterwards! A truly great night!

Quote: KLRiley @ April 26 2011, 12:17 PM BST

The film was awful. I am one of the world's true Hitch Hiker's nuts. I have watched the film once. On DVD. And in the box it has stayed therafter.

The film was indeed crap. I binned my DVD after watching it. Not even worth hanging from a fruit tree to scare birds away.

I recently rewatched the film and take it all back: it IS total and utter f**king shit. Maybe your tastes change, maybe it's been done to death, but I could hardly watch it. Even Stephen Fry, who I normally enjoy, is so smug and self-satisfied and clever-little-me: 'The HHGTTG has this to say on the subject of alcohol: Don't. Actually many of the weird, monkey-shaped beings on Earth do, and this may explain why so many silly things happened there. Wilk Gugmoss, chairthing of the inter-galactic alcohol commission, argues alcohol may lead to loss of appetite, interest in parties and muscular lethargy, while Daspluck Grollables, spokesbeast for the 'let's get drunk it's actually pretty good fun, I mean look at Zaphod, he's one prugmously hollababe guy isn't he' corporation of Quunsmith Minor, was too drunk to comment.' F**k you. Really. Just f**k you.
'We're in outer space' - yeah, a knife that cuts bread AND toasts it - AWESOME! You can do what the f**k you like, it don't get any more exciting than bread.
I would like to see Zooey without her make-up. Actually, I wouldn't. Mos Def as Ford is like Stephen Hawking as George Clooney.
Quite honestly, I always thought HH was massively over-rated: one awesome bout (radio s1, TV s1, first book and second half of second), one slightly less awesome (radio s2, first half of second book), one average (LUE), one frankly appalling (SLATFATF), one surprisingly good but the magic's gone (MH). I actually thought Colfer's effort was more enjoyable than around half of the originals.

I think the whole idea of cult comedy is that is overrated. Same with pop. People like to rate things highly, that's all it is. You probably prefer something with tin baths, no doubt!

Exerpt from lost 'So Long and Thanks For All The Fish' notes:
'Arthur was about to ask the creature what the creature's name was, but then he - Arthur - decided that if he - Arthur - asked it - the creature - what its - that is, the creature's - name was, then it was precisely the kind of creature that would not tell him what its name was, as it was the type of creature to do just that kind of thing, namely not tell you what its name was precisely because you'd asked it what its name was in the first place. And as Arthur's main purpose in asking the creature what its name was was in fact to find out what the cretaure's name was, Arthur decided not to ask the creature what its name was at all in the hope the creature would just tell him what its name was anyway.
"My name," said the creature, "is - ah, I don't want to tell you."
Arthur, it seemed, was right.'

I have tried three times to watch the film, and each time I cannot get any further than about a third into it. It really is pretty terrible.

Then watch the first third and then the second third and then the third third.
People love to point out how the different 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' formats contradict each other... This undermines its credibility. I thought it was true before.

Oh no, not again. https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/news/2812/hitchhikers_guide_2018/

The problem is that is too much a cult. Red Dwarf for instance cannot compete with it, it's so dyed in the wall.