Newsjack 2017 Page 43

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 9th October 2017, 2:16 AM

I just sent my first sketch submission ever (only ever sent one-liners until now)
It was humourous enough I think, but lacked any killer punchlines. I doubt it'll get on, but it was fun to practice.

Congratulations. Best of luck!
Just sent in my first sketch submission too. I enjoyed the central idea I found but I don't think I was able to flesh it out properly.

Quote: TurkeyNotTheBird @ 9th October 2017, 9:45 AM

Just sent in my first sketch submission too. I enjoyed the central idea I found but I don't think I was able to flesh it out properly.

Nice one. Fingers crossed for both of us :-)

Two sketches off again. And as usual for me these last few weeks, I've started Monday with no no ideas beyond a few copied headlines in a note on my phone. It is amazing what the Newsjack deadline can pull from you!

Feeling the pressure now we're up to episode 5. Need some really solid one liners this week!

Only one sketch done last minute at 10 am today. Just couldn't get any ideas to work. Not sure the one I did worked but it was topical as I read the headline in the paper this morning!

...i'm in. sketch submitted but i fear it is a tad risqué
...oneliners and crunchers are a-bubblin-and-a-brewin
...out.

I managed to knock up one sketch and sent it in before the deadline.

I've got a few one-liners and some crunched numbers, but neither are yet up to a full complement.

Full quota of one-liners submitted. Good luck to everyone.

Quote: TurkeyNotTheBird @ 9th October 2017, 9:45 AM

Good luck

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 9th October 2017, 2:16 AM

I just sent my first sketch submission ever (only ever sent one-liners until now)
It was humourous enough I think, but lacked any killer punchlines. I doubt it'll get on, but it was fun to practice.

Good luck.

Good luck all.

Struggling with my third number cruncher. Anyone noticed any themes or formulas that appear to be successful this series?

Didn't get the auto reply email when I sent my sketches in last night. Messaged them on Twitter and emailed again (which I did get the auto reply for) but no word back. Any ideas?

Cheers

Quote: Thosisd @ 9th October 2017, 8:38 PM

Struggling with my third number cruncher. Anyone noticed any themes or formulas that appear to be successful this series?

I've been wrestling with this myself and have discussed it on this forum with others. After following their advice, I've found the following approach sort of helps. Though bear in mind that this is only one approach - there are others.

1) Take the person or thing that the topical number relates to and generate a handful of associations.
2) Ask yourself how the number could also apply to the association.
3) This may result in exaggerated punchlines, which may or may not be funny.

IN PRACTICE

The example from the NewsJack website is the best example to use.

14: The number of contestants revealed to be in Channels 4's The Jump.
14: The number of those contestants who will also be appearing on 24 hours in A&E.

Quote: Michael Hughes @ 9th October 2017, 9:05 PM

Didn't get the auto reply email when I sent my sketches in last night. Messaged them on Twitter and emailed again (which I did get the auto reply for) but no word back. Any ideas?

Cheers

Check your outbox to make sure it's gone.

Check your sentmail to see if anything looks untoward.

Send a blank or a test email to see if that triggers an autoresponse.

At this point - I'm afraid it's a chance of hoping for the best. Suggest contacting Nick Coupe on Twitter.

Three one-liners sent.
No number crunchers again. I really hope they ditch that format next time.

To make it more interesting, they should have a different theme or challenge each week for the final one-liner slot.

Just sent in this week's one-liners and number crunchers. Very happy with some of them, so it will be all the worse when they get binned. Ho hum.