Citizen Khan - Series 5

The new seven-part fifth series starts tomorrow at 8:30pm. I personally thought series four wasn't quite as good as the previous three, probably due to the major cast change of Shazia. However, I did see Citizen Khan live earlier this year in Birmingham and he was hilarious so I have high hopes for the new series.

Even bastion of the left and all that is PC, the Guardian, describes this "comedy", which has well overstayed its welcomes, as "mirthless"! How in the name of God, and Allah, has this garbage made it to five series?

The scripts are very repetitive and all follow a similar structure. Same old, same old.

Having said that , I do somewhat enjoy watching it.

Quote: gb901 @ 4th November 2016, 9:13 PM

Even bastion of the left and all that is PC, the Guardian, describes this "comedy", which has well overstayed its welcomes, as "mirthless"! How in the name of God, and Allah, has this garbage made it to five series?

What do you mean, "even"? The Guardian is the grand high chief of the mirthless! It is the place where joy goes to die.

Alia in a bikini...

That is all

I lose track on the number of comedies and comedians that the Guardian has disapproved of.

Sorry, that's not the Guardian, is it?

The weakest series yet, I thought and last night's Christmas Special was just not funny. A real shame as the earlier series were very funny. Ever since the original Shazia left at the end of Series 3, it hasn't been quite the same for me.

Was this axed?

Quote: 3SOCKSMORGAN @ 8th October 2017, 10:37 PM

Was this axed?

Appears so - thank god...and Allah! However, I was dismayed to read that a film version maybe in the pipeline: Citizen Khan is no Alan Partridge!

Quote: gb901 @ 17th July 2018, 8:19 PM

Citizen Khan is no Alan Partridge!

Alan Partridge made it onto our TV screens and stayed there for the only reason any comedian or comedy character should ever make it onto our TV screens and stay there: he started off funny and never stopped being funny.

Citizen Khan made it onto our TV screens because he was funny but, when he stopped being funny, he was allowed to remain on our TV screens because his presence represented "diversity".

The great god, Diversity, has given TV viewers some excellent comedians and comedy programmes, but he/she/it has also given us some real dross and, in doing so, has deprived many talented but non-diverse writers and performers of opportunities that were rightfully theirs.

In any meritocratic society, Citizen Khan would have been axed (I hesitate to say "beheaded") a long time ago.

Quote: 3SOCKSMORGAN @ 8th October 2017, 10:37 PM

Was this axed?

No. Ray has taken some time out to work on other projects, and now - as has been mentioned - develop a film version.

It may well be the case that it doesn't return, but last I heard the BBC did in fact want more.