3. Flight of the Conchords*
4. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
5. Parks and Recreation
6. Bob's Burgers
7. American Dad!
8. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
9. The Sarah Silverman Program
10. Family Guy

* I wasn't sure if Flight of the Conchords counted as it's really a New Zealand comedy. However, it is set in America and produced by an American channel.

Never seen any of those. In fact I've only even heard of two of them.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 31st August 2017, 1:58 PM

Never seen any of those. In fact I've only even heard of two of them.

You've never seen The Simpsons?

Quote: Scartledge @ 7th October 2017, 1:03 AM

You've never seen The Simpsons?

No. Hence my original statement to that effect. But it is one of the two that I have heard of.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th October 2017, 5:20 PM

No. Hence my original statement to that effect. But it is one of the two that I have heard of.

Thanks for clarifying.

Most people would shy away from admitting their total ignorance of a medium they profess to be interested in.

Maybe if you widened your horizons a little you could become a comedy fan rather than just a British comedy fan.

Best of luck to you Bill.

Quote: Scartledge @ 7th October 2017, 8:39 PM

Thanks for clarifying.

Most people would shy away from admitting their total ignorance of a medium they profess to be interested in.

Maybe if you widened your horizons a little you could become a comedy fan rather than just a British comedy fan.

Thanks for advising me which programmes I ought to be watching in order to justify being a member of this site. It's rather a big jump to assume that, because I don't watch one particular programme, I am not a fan of any U.S. programmes. It's like suggesting that, because I've never listened to an Oasis album, I hate all British music. I have stated previously on this thread, and elsewhere in these forums, that Bilko is my all-time favourite comedy show. I had always assumed that to be American.

When I was at school I used to rush home to watch Bewitched, Batman & Happy Days and, if we are talking cartoons (which we are), the Flintstones, Top Cat, Wacky Races, Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, etc. All American. I recently came across a school essay in which I listed my favourite tv programme as "No Time for Sergeants" (whatever that was).

I am sure that we all joined this site for different reasons. My particular field of interest - not just in comedy but also in general tv & entertainment, sport, music & current affairs - is the years from the mid-1950s to the 1970s althoughI am prepared to push back my comedy interest to encompass music hall.

If you were to call round my house (and, no offence, I'd really rather you didn't) you would see that I have, on display, original Beatles memorabilia, original tv related toy cars and a signed 1966 England World Cup shirt. On my walls are signed stills from such as Hancock's Half Hour, the Two Ronnies, Dad's Army, Morecambe & Wise and Carry On Camping, a signed photo of the Tottenham Hotspur 1960/61 double winning team and a signed/dedicated photo of Harold Wilson. Above my fireplace is a painting of Waterloo station in 1967 - except for every 4 years when it is replaced by a print of Martin Peters' goal in the World Cup Final.

You will note the theme developing here. Basically I am a child of the sixties (and part of the 50s and 70s). And, culturally at least, I am happy to remain there. While that doesn't mean, of course, that I don't watch any post-1970s comedy or other tv programmes, I don't believe that being a fan of same is a pre-requisite for signing up to this site.

Seem to have touched a nerve, sorry Bill.

I suppose I was just a little intrigued as to why you quoted someones list just to say you had only heard of 2 of his choices.

But thanks for filling me in on your pre 80's comedy choices and the way you decorate your house (don't worry, I certainly don't intend on dropping round any time in the future).

Cheers Bill.

Big Bang
Frasier
Seinfeld
Golden Girls
Third Rock from the sun
The Goldbergs
Curb Your enthusiasm
MASH
Married with children
Cheers

Quote: Scartledge @ 7th October 2017, 8:39 PM

Thanks for clarifying.

Isn't that a bit uncouth? Our ages play a big part in our tastes so it looks like you're the only ignorant one with views like those. You, like me, grew up with the Simpsons and are a big fan. Someone else didn't grow up with it so doesn't know much about it and you see an issue in that.

I was a fan of Home Improvements with Tim the toolman Taylor.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th October 2017, 10:42 PM

Isn't that a bit uncouth? Our ages play a big part in our tastes so it looks like you're the only ignorant one with views like those. You, like me, grew up with the Simpsons and are a big fan. Someone else didn't grow up with it so doesn't know much about it and you see an issue in that.

I didn't grow up with Cheers, Bilko, Happy Days or any of the other classics but have still watched and enjoyed them. It's ignorant to come to a topic like this just to tell someone that they know nothing of their list.

Some of the stated programs have been shown on terrestrial television for the last 30 years, it only takes turning on the television to experience a 'new' show.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th October 2017, 10:42 PM

You, like me, grew up with the Simpsons

My best friend said he was growing up with the Spice Girls. So I moved in with him.
People are SOOOOOOO rude on forums. In real life...?
Friends, Will and Grace, Bilko, I Love Lucy, The Office, Roseanne, Frasier, Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Cheers.

Quote: Scartledge @ 21st October 2017, 6:26 AM

I didn't grow up with Cheers, Bilko, Happy Days or any of the other classics but have still watched and enjoyed them. It's ignorant to come to a topic like this just to tell someone that they know nothing of their list.

Some of the stated programs have been shown on terrestrial television for the last 30 years, it only takes turning on the television to experience a 'new' show.

Are you serious? Have you even read the updated post that Billy Bunter went to the touble of providing for you?

I've never heard of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Parks And Recreation, Bobs Burgers, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt or the Sarah Silverman Program but by saying that I mean absolutely no disrespect to Haywired who let's not forget doesn't seem bothered by any of this. I've heard of Sarah Silverman and am a big fan of hers but never heard of that particular show until now. I've seen Futurama and Family Guy which are both funny but don't make my list of top ten because I've not watched much of it. It's clear that Billy Bunter was commenting that this particular list is utterly foreign to him and it wasn't meant in any way to be critical or offensive to the poster which isn't even you. I can see his point because there are several names of shows in that list I've never heard of. Your sequence of responses which include "Cheers Bill" "best of luck to you Bill" are blatantly antagonistic.

I was hoping you would have responded differently and acknowledged you're bang out of bloody, bleedin' order but at least I know where you're coming from now.

Quote: Scartledge @ 21st October 2017, 6:26 AM

It's ignorant to come to a topic like this just to tell someone that they know nothing of their list.

1. The comment that I'd never seen any of Haywired's list was a self-deprecating observation (as in "there's all those apparently well received programmes that I've never seen) rather than any criticism of the list.
2. Regardless of that, the forums are, by their very nature, full of comments criticising & opposing other people's choices or points of view. It wouldn't be much of a discussion forum if we all agreed with each other or merely made no response at all. Indeed we wouldn't be having this discussion now.
3. It might well take "only" the turning on of a tv to experience a new show. If one felt so inclined and didn't have other things to do. However, it would take the turning on of a tv dozens of time a week, not to mention - these days - an encyclopaedic knowledge of the tv listings, to take account of every new show so one is bound to miss more than one catches.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd October 2017, 10:01 AM

Regardless of that, the forums are, by their very nature, full of comments criticising & opposing other people's choices or points of view.

Yes - there are people who don't fancy Mel C!!!!!!!! - but you can express yourself without being rude. I respect other people's opinions (this is English for 'I don't give a f**k what you think') but Scartledge's approach struck me as impolite.
There was a US 'Young Ones' - 'Oh no, not them' - but it never got past the pilot stage. The only original star was Neil and he said it was a disaster. I'm sure I'd hate it but part of me wants to watch it just for curiosity.
The three (!) Fawlty Towers attempts were of course total shit. Actually they weren't - they were bog standard sitcoms - but next to FT...